INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove orphan links?  (Read 4285 times)

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
Remove orphan links?
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:27:34 am »

If I delete video files via windows explorer, the shows in JRiver (of course when I click on them I get a playback/file error).  Is there a way to have JRiver automatically delete links to files that no longer exist?  i.e. in the same way it is able to identify and tag new links, can it check existing links?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remove orphan links?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:54:13 pm »

I think it's a good idea, for consistency, to manage everything the MC sees, THROUGH MC itself.  So when you want to delete a video, delete it from inside MC.  You can tell it to delete from both MC's library and the disk at the same time.  I would call this the "best practice" for using MC.

But if you have some good reason for doing it the other way, MC can definitely delete dead links.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > (choose)

Choosing "YES" will delete all broken links all the time.  Protect files on missing drives will not delete links on external drives that are disconnected.  That's a common setting.

You can also locate missing files pretty easily with a smartlist and delete those dead links yourself.

Brian.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:26 pm »

You can also locate missing files pretty easily with a smartlist and delete those dead links yourself.

Or, fancier:
http://blog.glynor.com/mcfileremover/
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »

I recently had a drive failure on a NAS.  RAID settings saved nearly all the data but a very small amount is missing. 

Is there a way to get a list of all the files where the files are not found?  I don't want to delete the references because i think i can replace the files.  I just dont know all the files that need replacing.

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 04:27:41 pm »

You can make a smartlist to list all "missing" files:  Files that MC knew about at one time, that are now not on disk.  Paste this into the Import/Export box in a smartlist editing window:

Code: [Select]
[=ismissing()]=1
You can add Media Types to this if you want to only see missing Audio or missing Video if you want to.  It will show all missing types by default.

Brian.

TKz

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:30 am »

I'd like to add my support to the idea of better (automatic) library clean up.  We store our media on a networked drive.  Typically, we consume and then delete.  Some shows are recorded by JRiver, some are recorded by HDHomerun.  When a video is watched on one device and then deleted it still shows up on the JRiver computer.  Over time, the number of orphan links that need to be manually removed is oppressive.  I would like an option in which JRiver periodically scanned for missing files in the library (a watch folder) and then automatically deleted those files no longer present along with any tags and references to it.  JRiver already does a pretty good job of automatically scanning for new media.  It would be nice if, at the same time, it automatically scanned for and removed dead links.  If easier, it would be nice to have a button on the Theater View home screen that automatically scanned and cleaned up any dead references in the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up