INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noobie wiring question  (Read 2538 times)

CraigK

• Recent member
Noobie wiring question
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:40 am »

I am just starting to learn about high definition audio playback, external DAC's, NUCs/HTPCs, etc.  I am trying to figure out how I would wire an HTPC running JRiver into my TV/AV receiver.

In order to see the video output from the HTPC/JRiver, I need to run HDMI from my HTPC to an input on my AV receiver (which passes video to my TV).  In order to use an external DAC, I need to connect via USB to the HTPC, and the RCA audio output to a different input on my AV Receiver.

Not sure how I can see the video output from the HTPC/JRiver which will be one source on my receiver, but hear the high quality DAC audio output which will be another source on my AV receiver at the same time?  If I select the source with the HTPC/JRiver HDMI input, I will not be hearing the external DAC sound stream.  (I'll be hearing the audio stream from the HDMI which will be converted by my lesser quality DAC built into my AV receiver.)  If I select the RCA audio input source on my receiver, although I will hear the high quality DAC stream, I won't have any video to see what I am doing through JRiver.

What am I missing in trying to figure out what I imagine would be a fairly common issue?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Noobie wiring question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:15:27 am »

Many receivers and prepros have the ability to assign an audio input to a video input.  Pairing them together.  Others have a way of cycling through various audio input while keeping the video input fixed.  Reading through the manual on your AVR should give you the exact procedure on how to do this.

Another way I know of, if your AVR doesn't support this, is to use a direct HDMI connection to your monitor.  Then you'd need to switch to that input on your monitor and switch to the appropriate audio input on your AVR when you want to watch the HTPC.  Way back when switching wasn't nearly as sophisticated, I had 3 to 4 video inputs on my monitor that I would switch between.  I programmed a home theater remote to switch the monitor inputs, AVR inputs, and a few other things when I wanted to watch various sources.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up