INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About 60 movies are missing. How could this happen?  (Read 2196 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
About 60 movies are missing. How could this happen?
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:03:24 pm »

I noticed some movies were not showing up in my Theater View movie listing the other day. Upon investigation I found that around 60 movies (DVD rips) are missing completely. They are no longer on my hard drive. I setup my collection like this: Drive G (the RAID array) has a root folder called "Movies" then under that are hundreds of separate subfolders, one for each movie, with the name of the movie and the various files.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? Is there some setting in MC that I should change to prevent this from happening again?
I had "Fix Broken Links" set to Yes (but I have now changed that to "No"). However I think that even set to "Yes", MC would not delete a file/movie (it should only remove it from Library if MC thinks the file is missing). But what would cause the file to go missing?

I have all the original movie disks and I'm going to start ripping them back to my hard drives this weekend.

I just want to understand what might have happened so I can prevent it from happening again. Could I set each movie folder to "read only" would that protect them from accidental deletion?

My movies are stored on an internal RAID system (multiple internal HDs).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: About 60 movies are missing. How could this happen?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:24:39 pm »

MC won't delete a file unless you tell it to.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 04:34:33 pm »

Maybe I told it to delete but didn't realize it - or maybe it happened via Windows maintenance/update somehow.

There was some postings about someone mistakenly selecting multiple files, then (thinking they were working with a single file) changing the file name resulting a bunch of deleted files.

I'm not blaming MC. I can see mistakenly deleting one or two files, but I have 60 movies missing/deleted. That's a huge screw up on my part. I just want to understand what may have happened.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »

There were two reported instances recently where this would happen.

One was where you highlighted a list of files, knowingly or not, then moved to another tab or area of the program, appeared to highlight another file and delete it, whereas in fact the original list was still highlighted, and all those files were deleted. You should create a view to look at deleted files that MC knows about, and see if it is aware it deleted the files or not. I'm not sure if the "Fix broken links" would place a record in the deleted files database or not though, but if this first problem happened, the files should be recorded there. I think the major cause of that problem was fixed in MC21.0.25. 1. Fixed: When switching tabs, the delete command would still route to the previous tab in some cases.

The other problem was when multiple files were selected, changing the filename tag to something like a blank, or an invalid filename, could result in all files being renamed the same thing, or delete. There was a big thread on that. I believe that was fixed in MC21.0.24. 3. Fixed: If in-place editing was used to change the filename field to an invalid value (like blank, or a name without a path), MC would not report an error and the data for that file could be lost.

So I guess the files may have been lost when you were running one of those versions, and hit one of those problems. Hopefully it won't happen again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:39 am »

I'm not sure if the "Fix broken links" would place a record in the deleted files database or not though

It does.

Of course, deleting them yourself would do the same thing, as would it if they were deleted externally somehow (by a script gone awry or due to filesystem corruption, for example).

There's not enough information here to even make a guess.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up