INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 Sometimes Starts, Sometimes Does Not Start  (Read 1662 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
MC21 Sometimes Starts, Sometimes Does Not Start
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:50:35 am »

This problem began only after the update to version 21.0.24.
I start MC one of three ways on my computer, in order of most frequent method: Pressing a button on my Harmony 700 that is mapped to send the command (Win+1); Pressing (Win+1) on my keyboard; Clicking the MC icon in its first position on the Taskbar.
Since updating to 21.0.24, sometimes MC will start, and sometimes it will not start. This happens regardless of the method I use to try to start MC.
When MC fails to start, the MC icon in the Taskbar appears to be "active" (as if the program were running), but it is not actually running on the screen, and is not part of the (Alt+Tab) sequence. In such case, clicking the red X on the pop-out from the Taskbar does nothing. Opening Task Manager reveals that Media Center is not running as an item in the "Applications" tab, but "Media Center 21.exe *32" is listed in the "Processes" tab. As a workaround, I have discovered that if I end the process "Media Center 21.exe *32" then I can successfully start MC in any one of my three typical ways.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 Sometimes Starts, Sometimes Does Not Start
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »

I'm not sure what the answer is, but;

Win+1 on Windows is a predefined key combination, and opens program that is represented by the first icon on the task bar. So do you mean that you have the MC icon placed as the first icon on the task bar, and hence the Harmony and keyboard combination are just using the Windows capability to launch an application, or have you tried to program that Win+1 combination into the MC Remote Control commands?

If using the Windows capability, check that the icon is still first on the task bar and still has the correct settings after the update. Or perhaps removed that icon, then add it back using the icon under the Windows Start menu.

Regardless of above, if you are getting a pop up from the icon on the task bar which shows the Rewind, Play, Stop, and Fast Forward button, plus a red X in the corner when you hover your mouse over the pop up, then the MC Client is running and is probably just minimised. If you can't get to it via Alt-tab, clicking on the MC icon in the System Tray, or right clicking on the icon on the Task Bar and selecting JRiver Media Center 21, or simply clicking on that icon, then something is screwy in Windows.
You don't say whether you have rebooted the PC after doing the update, or when this problem happens. I would try that first thing in this case, as it seems it could be a Windows problem. I've seen similar with other programs before. Also, you didn't update a video driver recently did you? I seen that precipitate the problem, requiring one or more reboots to fix.

The "Media Center 21.exe *32" process is the MC Media Server process, run in the background to record scheduled TV, run background processes, and service MC Clients. Killing that process will kill the Media Server and the MC Client running on your PC.

Also, do you have MC set to "Minimise to System Tray" under Tools/Options/General/Interface ? If not, turn that on and see if you get an icon in the System Tray, indicating that the MC Client is indeed running. Note that if you just close MC, and then immediately try to reopen it, MC may not open, as it can take about 30 seconds for MC to stop all processes and fully close. If that is what is happening, close MC, wait 30 seconds, then reopen.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Re: MC21 Sometimes Starts, Sometimes Does Not Start
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:16:07 am »

Good inputs, RoderickGI.

Yes, MC21 is the first item on the taskbar, for the purpose of being able to start it with Win+1.
Yes, I rebooted numerous times, shut down and restarted, etc.
Wasn't minimized to tray. Just seemed inaccessible and locked up.
Last nvidia driver update on this machine has been several weeks.

Any other thoughts on the behavior?
Pages: [1]   Go Up