INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags are not written to Wavpack or DSF files.  (Read 10251 times)

lobo85

• World Citizen
Tags are not written to Wavpack or DSF files.
« on: December 08, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »

For the last several versions tags have not been able to be saved to Wavpack or DSF files they can be read just not written I think this problem has cropped up before and has been fixed before just wanted to report that it is happening again. 

lobo85

• World Citizen
Re: Tags are not written to Wavpack or DSF files.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:14:01 pm »

Just bumping this up maybe no one saw it... 

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:41:25 am »

It's  been  a while since I reported this problem. It is getting tiring to have to reboot to linux or windows just to get my tag info to stick to these types of files. MC itself saves them to the library but for some reason does not save the tag information to the actual audio file. This issue only occurs on Mac.

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:50 am »

I'm not having any trouble with writing tag changes to the file for DSF files on Mac build 21.0.55. Are you sure you have write permission for the folder the files are in?

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:31 pm »

On DSF cue split files its fine on individual DSF files it is not. And all my other file types get written to. Except Wavpack. But I will check my permissions.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:16:47 pm »

I checked and I have read and write permissions on files that have the problem.

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:26 am »

Can you enable logging (or clear the log if you already have it enabled), do some tagging on these files that it won't write tags to, then post the log here?

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:53 pm »

Did some tagging on some of the problem files here is a log.

BradATIMA

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 02:36:31 pm »

It does look like it's not able to actually save the tag changes, but I can't tell what's blocking it. Have you tried copying or moving one of these DSF files to the desktop and then tagging them, just as a test?  As for the wavpack files, you won't be able to save tags to the file.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »

Weird it actually worked from the desktop. But the files on the external drives are editable under linux and windows in JRiver so there is something weird going on for sure. I will try repairing permissions though.

BradATIMA

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:37:13 am »

You might also want to check the ownership of the files. You may be able to write to the folder but not modify files with different ownership.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:03 pm »

I took ownership of the drive using chown -R but it is still not working.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 08:37:42 pm »

Im going to try editing tags on another drive that is HFS+ as I am thinking this is happening because the drive the files I have been editing so far are on a Seagate External that is formatted in NTFS though I do have the ability to write to the drive thanks to a third party driver by Paragon.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 09:16:46 pm »

That turned out to be the problem. Guess I'll have to move some data around and reformat the drive in HFS+. Weird thing is that the tags are editable on Windows 7 off of the HFS+ drive when I mount them using the Mac Drive Application which is also a third party file system diver. Interestingly enough Yate and MP3tag have no trouble writing tags to the DSF and Wavpack files on the NTFS drive at all when run from my Mac Partition.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 02:33:21 pm »

I have just returned to do a tag editing session for DSF files after an interval of six weeks or so. In the interim I accepted the auto-installation of the current build of MC; I think I was one or two builds back when I was last tagging. For the last year at least I have been able to edit and save tags on external drives that were formatted using NTFS and Paragon. As of today they won't save. The error message says the files can't be found or are in use, followed by the generic tag error message. I've confirmed by deleting and reloading the folders with the relevant files and indeed the tags did not stick.

So now in the best case I'm having to waste half an hour copying 200 GB of files from a WD Passport to my MBP SSD in order to edit the tags (assuming lobo85's solution works for me as well). I'm running El Cap 10.11.13. There have been a couple of routine incremental OS updates since I last edited tags but the Paragon version (the latest) is unchanged, and has been the most stable for me so far, and I've been using this procedure for more than a year.

So I have to conclude a recent MC update has broken this capability, or no longer interoperates correctly with a recent OS change. If so, please fix it. It has destroyed my workflow and I still have a very, very long way to go to finish cataloguing this classical collection.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 02:59:19 pm »

I tried using Tuxera NTFS but it also does not work. Maybe I should try disabling owners on the drive?

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:25 pm »

Bump. Has anyone diagnosed a cause for this yet? The fact that lobo85 can edit the same files on the NTFS disk using MC for Windows or linux with the same permissions suggests that the problem is in recent build(s) of MC for Mac or its interaction with the OS. Changing the file system on my portable drives to HFS+ is not an option for me since colleagues working on the same collection use Windows machines. Thanks for any insight!

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 06:18:39 pm »

Weird. I finally upgraded to El Capitan, and it fixed this issue. Nevermind the message was just horribly delayed.

BradATIMA

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:54 pm »

If this does seem like a recent change, would you be willing to try previous Mac Media Center 21 builds and reporting the last build where it does work?

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 03:24:42 pm »

Yes I would though it will take a while I am currently trying to rebuild a portion of my music library that got corrupted after I restored some data after I accidentally wiped a drive after using a terminal command. Nevermind I tried 21.0.6 and it was not working either.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 03:42:08 pm »

I want to try reinstalling JRiver and see if that works how would I remove everything and keep it activated?

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 04:47:04 pm »

I know this isn't exactly a straight forward solution but...

Why in the world would you be using an NTFS drive with a Mac?  How about reformatting that drive as HFS+?

Brian.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »

I use one because I have a dual boot system. I would reformat it But I would have to buy another drive to transfer the data around.

blgentry

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 06:51:34 am »

A dual boot Mac?  Where you want to play music on the dual booted side?  Hmm, my experience with Mac users is that they normally don't want to use windows if they can ever avoid it.

What's your use for Windows in this case?  Many windows programs can be run under virtual machines instead, which is far more convenient.

Either way, you can do a few things as a test.  You could try making a FAT32 volume instead.  FAT32 is supported natively by OS X.  It won't hold any files larger than 4 GB, but for music that should cover pretty much every single file you might have.

Note that it's possible to repartition disks on a Mac non-destructively in SOME cases.  You might be able to add a small FAT32 partition to your existing disk.  MAYBE.  Definitely make sure you have a full verified backup before you start!

You could also put *just* the DSF files on another partition.  If FAT32 works, then you're all set.  If not, then you could make a small HFS+ partition and just copy the DSF files back and forth from your main partition to the HFS+, etc.  MC can use multiple folders, disks, etc, and show them all in your library views transparently.  This solution would obviously require some thought and discipline in your processes.  Just throwing it out there.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

lobo85

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 08:21:54 pm »

A dual boot Mac?  Where you want to play music on the dual booted side?  Hmm, my experience with Mac users is that they normally don't want to use windows if they can ever avoid it.

What's your use for Windows in this case?  Many windows programs can be run under virtual machines instead, which is far more convenient.

Either way, you can do a few things as a test.  You could try making a FAT32 volume instead.  FAT32 is supported natively by OS X.  It won't hold any files larger than 4 GB, but for music that should cover pretty much every single file you might have.

Note that it's possible to repartition disks on a Mac non-destructively in SOME cases.  You might be able to add a small FAT32 partition to your existing disk.  MAYBE.  Definitely make sure you have a full verified backup before you start!

You could also put *just* the DSF files on another partition.  If FAT32 works, then you're all set.  If not, then you could make a small HFS+ partition and just copy the DSF files back and forth from your main partition to the HFS+, etc.  MC can use multiple folders, disks, etc, and show them all in your library views transparently.  This solution would obviously require some thought and discipline in your processes.  Just throwing it out there.

Good luck to you.

Brian.
Thanks for the input I am now shifting my files around so that all my DSD and WavPack files are on my HFS+ drive and keeping the files whose tags can be written (FLAC, ALAC, and others) by JRiver using the NTFS format on the NTFS Drive. I don't know why I didn't think of that yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up