INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properties - save after every field change?  (Read 2150 times)

gkerber

Properties - save after every field change?
« on: September 02, 2003, 07:10:30 am »

Sometime back, the properties window did not save ANY changes until it was closed.  There were choices to not save any changes or to save them all.

Now ANYTIME I tab off a field in properties, or exit properties, all the changes for that field are changed.  This is bad for many reasons.

1.  What if I make a mistake?  Once I type in a field, how can I not save those changes?

2.  If the track selection is large, it's annoying to have it save that field's changes in ALL files when I plan on making more, and then wait again on the next field and so on....

I'd prefer the changes be saved when I'm done, not after every field change and some way to not-save my changes.

nila

Re: Properties - save after every field change?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 08:29:47 am »

Not save = Ctrl+Z - Undo

Not do them all until we've left the properties window I agree with.

It should do a general update, not per field.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 10:52:01 am »

I suggested some time ago that there should be an 'Apply' button within the detailed info panel.  There is a trade off though and I'm not sure it's desirable:- When changing a property and then clicking back on the library without hitting Apply would presumably discard the changes?  That would not be good.

I'm sure that Matt will have the answer.  I think what we need is for changes to be applied only in the following circumstances:

* Hit apply
* Exit or move focus away from AW

Matt - we all know how clever you are.  I bet this is a piece of ****.

gkerber

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 11:08:34 am »

It used to save only after exit of properties, but now (if using docked properties) there is no real "exit" so the choice is not as clear.  But for undocked properties, apply or discard is a good choice, and one that used to be there.

For small track lists, the update after field change is noticable, but okay.  When hundreds of files are selected, it's outright annoying.  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 11:12:00 am »

How about an Apply button and a "Do you want to save changes? Yes\No\Cancel" dialog box when you click or tab out of the AW (or close it in the case of undocked)?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 11:12:48 am »

And I think you can hit escape once you've started typing in a field to discard what you've typed and go back to what was already there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 11:21:25 am »

Version 10 may move tagging to its own thread.  That introduces other things people won't like though.

The concept of "OK / Cancel" isn't too useful once you have faith that MC can keep things synchronized.  

If we don't want an "OK" button, there's no clear time when changes should get written to the tags, so we do it right after a change now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 11:28:44 am »

I see the problem and I also see Gkerbers point.  But I think if the jobs worth doing its worth doing right, not some half arsed solution, so personally I can live with it the way it is now for 9.1.  I've got used to it and can work with it.

gkerber

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 11:39:58 am »

The concept of "OK / Cancel" isn't too useful once you have faith that MC can keep things synchronized.  

Not sure what you mean by this.  Sometimes I enter stuff and then don't want it.  It's lack of faith in myself that I'd like a cancel button (assuming the update didn't happen per field change).

If we don't want an "OK" button, there's no clear time when changes should get written to the tags, so we do it right after a change now.

In undocked an okay/cancel button makes perfect sense to me.  Let me change any tag field for fields, and then update when I leave properties or press okay or change the displayed record (like when I press pgup/dn).

In docked, the answers are not so clear.

nila

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 11:56:36 am »

Version 10 may move tagging to its own thread.  That introduces other things people won't like though.

Not sure what this means but if it means giving us anything like a 'History' panel like we have in Photoshop then I'm all for it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up