INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag problem with AIFF [Solved]  (Read 2835 times)

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
Tag problem with AIFF [Solved]
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:19:05 am »

I started ripping vinyl to 32bit/192KHz aiff and noticed MC doesn't show song duration for those files. Is this a bug or a file format limitation?

Edit:
Also, the conversion progress bar doesn't show the progress when converting 32bit/192KHz aiff to DSF128 (have not tried other formats)

Ron

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tag problem with AIFF
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:08:59 am »

I started ripping vinyl to 32bit/192KHz aiff and noticed MC doesn't show song duration for those files. Is this a bug or a file format limitation?

Edit:
Also, the conversion progress bar doesn't show the progress when converting 32bit/192KHz aiff to DSF128 (have not tried other formats)

You're probably not going to benefit from either one of these things.  32 bit audio isn't commercially produced because it's totally unnecessary.  I've read statements that vinyl has *less* than 16 bits of usable audio.  24 bits would be overkill.  Good overkill, but still overkill.

Converting PCM to DSD seems worthless to me.  DSD's "magic" is that the whole playback chain is DSD with no PCM in the middle.  As soon as you add PCM, all (most?) of the benefits disappear.  Unless you have some rare DAC that has really great DSD performance and poor PCM performance?  In which case, MC can transcode to DSD on the fly for you.

Not trying to be overly critical here.  Just trying to steer you in the right direction.

Brian.

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:37:03 am »

Edit:

Ron
Maybe you could send us one of those files and we'll take a look.  It *might* be an easy fix.  My email is johnt at jriver dot com.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:31:08 pm »

I let my own ears decide. Even conversion of a regular, well mastered cd (rip) to dsd128 does miracles and sound nothing short of amazing.
Whether this is because my TEAC UD501 as well as my Calyx M are that much better at playing DSD than PCM I do not know. I am merely confronted with the facts as they represent them to me.
By the way, badly mastered cd's or loudness war victims do not benefit. They sound even worse when transcoded to DSD.

DSD's real magic for me (in the context of transcoding PCM) is that it somehow makes an audible difference for the better. I was highly sceptical about DSD but these old ears are hearing detail and depth I had not heard before transcoding to DSD128. I suspect it has much to do with moving noise to ultrasonic frequencies and by certain euphonic side effects, for lack of better words.

I know MC can transcode DSD on the fly but I like the convenience of having much of my music as DSD128 on my NAS. It has two advantages for me, 1st is that the cpu doesn't nearly have to do as much work when playing the music and 2ndly, less hassle when I want to quickly copy some music onto my DAP (Calyx M).

As to whether 32bit audio is unnecessary or not I will leave open for discussion. However, that is not the point. It is either supported or not supported. My DACs support it...probably for good reason. MC implicitly supports it because we can use 32bit aiff and wv (and wave, I presume). Now I have found what seems to be a bug which I reported.

You're probably not going to benefit from either one of these things.  32 bit audio isn't commercially produced because it's totally unnecessary.  I've read statements that vinyl has *less* than 16 bits of usable audio.  24 bits would be overkill.  Good overkill, but still overkill.

Converting PCM to DSD seems worthless to me.  DSD's "magic" is that the whole playback chain is DSD with no PCM in the middle.  As soon as you add PCM, all (most?) of the benefits disappear.  Unless you have some rare DAC that has really great DSD performance and poor PCM performance?  In which case, MC can transcode to DSD on the fly for you.

Not trying to be overly critical here.  Just trying to steer you in the right direction.

Brian.

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:49:09 pm »

Maybe you could send us one of those files and we'll take a look.  It *might* be an easy fix.  My email is johnt at jriver dot com.

We're talking about 100MB for a minute of 32bit aiff audio. I could use wav pack on it but that still leaves even the smallest file too big to send through email. I could upload it someplace instead if you want me to.

Ron

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 01:59:22 pm »

We're talking about 100MB for a minute of 32bit aiff audio. I could use wav pack on it but that still leaves even the smallest file too big to send through email. I could upload it someplace instead if you want me to.

Ron

What also caught my eye, and this may have something to do with it, MC does not show duration of the 32bit aiff songs. Could it be that the converter, because the song's duration info is not read, just runs until the process is cut off because it ran past the end of the input file (and thus adding a bit of static)?

Ron

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »

A workaround I found is to use 32bit WavPack files instead of 32bit aiff. MC shows song duration and does not add static to the end of the files when transcoding 32bit WavPack to DSD128.

Ron

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »

Ron
If you want to put one up on Dropbox or something and send us a link we can look into it.  Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:18:01 pm »

I just thought of this; whether it is overkill or not really does not matter as it is merely an intermediary format. It will get converted to 1bit anyway.
In this sense it even makes sense to use 32bit...so as to minimise rounding errors during the transcoding to DSD.

Ron

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 02:22:18 pm »

If you want to put one up on Dropbox or something and send us a link we can look into it.  Thanks.

I will find something and let you know by sending the link. Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Ron

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 02:16:19 pm »

It appears the bug has nothing to do with MC but rather XLD. XLD apparently writes faulty 32bit aiff files.

I just found out I can use MC to split my vinyl rips into separate tracks because MC supports cue files too (I had been using XLD for this purpose). When I left XLD out of the equation there were no problems with my files.

Ron.

I will find something and let you know by sending the link. Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up