INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel scan  (Read 4084 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Channel scan
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:18:19 pm »

I'm setting up my HD Homerun prime, and I've already setup my cable card.  When I use the HDHR setup app to scan for channels It does not pick up all of them.  I have setup the HDHR connect before I got the prime but I can't remember if I had to scan channels through HDHR setup first, and then JRiver or if I can just perform JRiver's channel scan and pickup all of my channels.  Can I skip the HDHR channel scan and just use JRiver's or do I need the HDHR scan first?  Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Channel scan
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:59 pm »

Channels for the Prime is obtained from EPG guide data in MC.  So you need to set it up by choosing a EPG mode, usually mc2xml, and making sure you selected the correct lineup of your cable subscription.

You do not need to scan for channels with HDHomerun software.  Even if you did, we are not using the data from it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »

How can I confirm my tuner is picking up all of the channels it needs to?  Do I even need to do this?  I can only see DRM channels through HDHR view, and they aren't part of my cable subscription.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »

Not sure if this is what you are asking about.  We are not able to tune to DRM'ed channels, nor can we single out those channels.  So you will just need to know which channels you will not be able to watch.  If you try to play a DRMe'd channel in MC, you will most likely just get a black screen with no error messages.

With HDHomerun Prime, or other CableCARD tuners such as Ceton devices, all we need is a channel number (and the channel names from EPG data).  Given a channel number, we either can tune to it (in case of non-DRM'ed channels that are part of your subscription) or can not tune to it (in case of DRM'ed channels or channels outside of your subscription).  If you know a particular channel that you should be able to tune to, but it is not in the list of channels in MC, you should just manually add it.

I know this can be a hassle.  I have subscription to a Comcast digital package, but I never fully know exactly which channels are part of the subscription.  I just find out whether a channel that I care to watch is watchable by trying it.

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:51:21 am »

I'm getting a waiting for signal lock, or tuner error message when I try watch TV.  I have only tried a couple of channels but the result is always the same.  I use schedules direct for my guide data.  I can't say for sure weather or not my channels are DRM'd.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:45 am »

Silicondust has instructions for opening the firewall.  That may be the problem.

jachin99

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:27 am »

I checked the firewall, and every JRiver, and HD Homerun service is being let through.  I also made sure Network discover and sharing was turned on, and automatic setup (Not sure exactly how this one is worded) was turned on.  I can see the tuner in DLNA devices.  I know windows is kinda funny, and they change the way their settings work with updates but I think the network part of this is covered.  I have a few more things to try, and I'm asking about this same problem on the silicon dust forums.  I am on here because I am trying to skip setting up my channel scans through HDHR setup.  I didn't know cable companies are all DRM'ing every channel before I started this whole thing, and I'm not sure that my cable company's tech support knows that either.  in every conversation I've had with the cable company, they have acted like the cable card would be enough.  I wouldn't be surprised if all of my channels do have DRM applied but I don't want to assume anything.  How can I find the manual freqs for a few channels, so that I can attempt to manually input them to test for DRM?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:15:11 pm »

For CableCARD devices no frequency is needed (nor are other parameters except a channel number, such as 5, or 55).  Just go to MC TV Options, and click Manage Channels.  On the Manage Channels window, click Add.  Set type to "OpenCable", and you will see that all you will need to enter are a name and a channel number.

jachin99

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:46:58 am »

Turns out i needed a new cable card.  The best part is I don't have DRM in my area so, I can watch all of my channels in MC.  Except the global shopping network, which I'll never understand.
Pages: [1]   Go Up