Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones  (Read 7514 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Zones
« on: December 09, 2015, 05:14:43 pm »

I have noticed recently that when i open jriver on my office machine using an over the network library my husband zone is not listed.

Has this been changed?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Zones
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:59:16 pm »

I have noticed recently that when i open jriver on my office machine using an over the network library my husband zone is not listed.

Has this been changed?

Dunno, have you changed husbands recently? :)

maid

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »

No.
When I open on the htpc where the library is. His zone is there but not when I open on my office machine
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

What exactly is the Husband zone on your HTPC? I assume it's your main player output, but with a bunch of settings to make audio sound the way he likes it?
Or is it a different device?

Could the zone actually be there on the office machine but be named something else?

maid

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »

Hello fitbrit,
As i said jriver is mainly used on the HTPC in the lounge.
I open jriver in my office to do edits etc using the library from the htpc.
In Playing now there is only one zone showing up

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:19:42 pm »

You could try right clicking on the single zone and going down to show/hide zones and see if it had been hidden.If there is only the one zone in the office machine, then I am not quite certain that you are connected to the HTPC properly. You should also see the HTPC as a zone, with the possibility of playing music there, controlled by the office PC. An dthus you should be seeing the zones you defined on the HTPC too.
Almost sounds like you have a local library loaded.

maid

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 10:20:06 pm »

Tried show hide zones and only one shows.
I am definitely connected to the library on the HTPC not local...

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:55:36 am »

Dunno, have you changed husbands recently? :)
;D ;D ;D  That cracked me up!!

@Maid check to see if, under Options Media Network=>Client Options=> Show Playback zones on the client was not unchecked by mistake. Stop all JRiver processes on server and client machines; then restart media sever on the server machine, then restart JRiver on the client. (or just reboot both)

maid

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

I dont use Media Network.
I use a library on a networked machine.
Every thing i do on the office machine is using the library through the network

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »

Any chance you could show us a screenshot of what the Playing Now section on the top left of the tree looks like on the office PC. Something sounds inconsistent between what you describe and what you say is happening. If you can do a screenshot, great - take one of the Overview screen too while you're at it.

One last thing. When you're on the office PC, go to File> Library> Backup Library.
Let us know whether you are able to back up your office PC's library.

maid

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 06:45:03 pm »

Hello Fitbrit,
I have taken a few screenshots.
I am not sure how I can show you that the files are playing from the HTPC.

maid

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 01:53:01 am »

Any ideas?

maid

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 01:27:58 am »

bump

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:14:09 am »

The client options under Media Network still apply if you're using a client through the network, even if the media network box isn't checked. As Arindelle suggested, look at the setting for "Options=>Media Network=>Client Options=> Show Playback zones on the client", and make sure the box is checked.

If that box is unchecked you won't see the zones on the HTPC, so that's the most likely cause of your issue.

maid

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

I am not using media network ie server and client.
 I use mapped folders through the network.
This has always worked before either version 21 or windows 10.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »

I am not using media network ie server and client.
 I use mapped folders through the network.
This has always worked before either version 21 or windows 10.

In order to see the zone on your HTPC you either need to have the DLNA parts of media network enabled or have a JRiver library cclient/server setup. How would you see the remote zone otherwise?  If it used to work, you probably used to have one or the other enabled.

maid

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »

DLNA is enabled.
I think I have just realized what it was.
I just reinstalled a backup from the HTPC and now the zone is showing.
I think when I was doing backups in the office it was backing up without the zone.
One other thing. If a backup is restored from the office it will loose all current settings from the HTPc so I guess it is safer to use a backup done from the HTPC problem is how to tell which are which as all the auto ones have the same name.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:16 pm »

I shuddered when I read that, and as I know it is what you want to do, I didn't respond. If you happen at any time to have the HTPC and your Workstation running MC, sharing the same library on a shared network location, you will have two applications reading from and writing to the library files, at the same time. Those files aren't designed to be shared that way. They aren't multi-user. They are just normal Windows files. All sorts of strange things could happen to the files, and in MC. File corruption, lost file. MC rebuilds it, and all of a sudden MC doesn't work the way it used to, or has lost data.

Then you get this sort of thing happening.
DLNA is enabled.
I think I have just realized what it was.
I just reinstalled a backup from the HTPC and now the zone is showing.
I think when I was doing backups in the office it was backing up without the zone.
One other thing. If a backup is restored from the office it will loose all current settings from the HTPc so I guess it is safer to use a backup done from the HTPC problem is how to tell which are which as all the auto ones have the same name.

The answer to that is to never restore an automatic backup, and regularly perform manual backups on the HTPC, named so that you know what they are.

But with your setup you are always playing stuff via DLNA, from the HTPC to your Workstation is DLNA. From the Workstation to the HTPC is DLNA. Well, probably, because you can't turn on DLNA without turning on Media Network in MC. So maybe your setup is using the MC Media Network, and you just didn't realise it. Media Network is better than DLNA anyway. Also, if you are using DLNA, at least MC controlling MC via DLNA is likely to work best.

Really, what you should be doing it putting your library on he HTPC, setting up your Workstation to use Media Network for general use, like playing stuff, or even tagging files. Then when you need to do real maintenance like renaming and moving files in MC from your Workstation, use Teamviewer or one of the VNC tools, or just Windows Remote Desktop as I do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 03:13:58 am »

Really, what you should be doing it putting your library on he HTPC, setting up your Workstation to use Media Network for general use, like playing stuff, or even tagging files. Then when you need to do real maintenance like renaming and moving files in MC from your Workstation, use Teamviewer or one of the VNC tools, or just Windows Remote Desktop as I do.
agreed ... you ask a lot of questions here and its hard to respond sometimes because you should know the software pretty well by this time ... you aren't a noobie anymore Maid ;D

However,  if you are not using JR as it is intended to, which this is starting to indicate, then now I understand why responses could be continually confusing to you, and sometimes appear like you haven't retained some of the tips given. If I may, maybe you'd like to review the main articles on networking, audio set up, zones and  the library (as database not media files) in the Wiki, as by now you are fluent with  the jargon you could double check to see if your set-up is standard or not .. but using backups like that could mess things up

it seems like you have been using a sort of a work-around to avoid having the HTPC machine running. That will work, most of the time, but will probably just give you problems in the future.  Most people should use one library, one machine running as a server, and any other machines acting as clients for playback or administration (of the server machine's library). Zones are different than separate libraries, as I think you know.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 07:07:27 pm »

Maid, remember when you had other problems, I offered to look at your setups using remote desktop and Skype to fix as much of what you have as possible? I offered to do this free (normally I charge $45US per hour), but you didn't want to do it. Now I am too busy to work for free for the foreseeable future, and it's the holiday season too.At some point in the future, I may have a two hour block I can set aside for you, and I will offer this again.
It is sometimes hard to help you, but we really do want to.

maid

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:31 pm »

I shuddered when I read that, and as I know it is what you want to do, I didn't respond. If you happen at any time to have the HTPC and your Workstation running MC, sharing the same library on a shared network location, you will have two applications reading from and writing to the library files, at the same time. Those files aren't designed to be shared that way. They aren't multi-user. They are just normal Windows files. All sorts of strange things could happen to the files, and in MC. File corruption, lost file. MC rebuilds it, and all of a sudden MC doesn't work the way it used to, or has lost data.

Then you get this sort of thing happening.
The answer to that is to never restore an automatic backup, and regularly perform manual backups on the HTPC, named so that you know what they are.

But with your setup you are always playing stuff via DLNA, from the HTPC to your Workstation is DLNA. From the Workstation to the HTPC is DLNA. Well, probably, because you can't turn on DLNA without turning on Media Network in MC. So maybe your setup is using the MC Media Network, and you just didn't realise it. Media Network is better than DLNA anyway. Also, if you are using DLNA, at least MC controlling MC via DLNA is likely to work best.

The library is on the HTPC. I do not have MC running on the HTPC and I only use the workstation for tagging files.
You hit the nail on the head when you said the auto backup is no good for me as you dont know where it came from.
We only turn on MC on the HTPC at night so it would be great if I could get a backup done then. Can these be scheduled?

maid

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:46 pm »

agreed ... you ask a lot of questions here and its hard to respond sometimes because you should know the software pretty well by this time ... you aren't a noobie anymore Maid ;D

However,  if you are not using JR as it is intended to, which this is starting to indicate, then now I understand why responses could be continually confusing to you, and sometimes appear like you haven't retained some of the tips given. If I may, maybe you'd like to review the main articles on networking, audio set up, zones and  the library (as database not media files) in the Wiki, as by now you are fluent with  the jargon you could double check to see if your set-up is standard or not .. but using backups like that could mess things up

it seems like you have been using a sort of a work-around to avoid having the HTPC machine running. That will work, most of the time, but will probably just give you problems in the future.  Most people should use one library, one machine running as a server, and any other machines acting as clients for playback or administration (of the server machine's library). Zones are different than separate libraries, as I think you know.
I had to laugh at this one, I may not be a noob any more but I am not young either and the techno speak can be confusing
Pages: [1]   Go Up