INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using "Limit" with panes  (Read 1771 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
Using "Limit" with panes
« on: September 02, 2003, 08:41:00 am »

When searching for files via the panes together with the search bar, something weird happens:

- I select via the panes Genre "Pop"
- I type in the search bar ~n=200 (so it should limit my search results to 200 for the genre Pop selected in the panes)

I get only 56 results and not 200 as I expected.

I know the search bar is "the master" and then the panes follow but this should not be the case for search modifiers.

Is this designed this way or can this be changed ?

Thanks,

Benny
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Using "Limit" with panes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 08:45:16 am »

The search bar comes first so you're seeing the "Pop" of those 200 files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Marko

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 11:08:09 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this really counter-intuitive.

I expect that when I type in the search bar, the search will be performed on current list. So, you've used panes or tree and have a bunch of files on display and to me, it seems logical that then typing into "search here" will search through that bunch of files.
I only know that the search bar comes first from reading posts on Interact, it's not really obvious from within MC itself.
For a long time after this was changed, I would still use the search bar in the way that I describe, and then I would curse a little when the goofy results reminded me of the pecking order. Surely new users will be like "wtf??" and move along in a confused state. If I wanted the search bar to search the entire library, I just make sure that the media library node was selected before typing my search.

-marko

Listening to: 'Chimes of Freedom' from 'Assorted Dylan Tracks' by 'Bob Dylan' on Media Center 9.1

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 11:14:46 am »

I agree. Use the panes to navigate to a particular subset of files, and then use the search box to actually find the file(s) in that list that you're interested in.

Any other way seems really silly...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 11:17:56 am »

Search order goes left to right and top to bottom, just like reading. (in English)

If I type "dylan" in the search, it's handy to see a list of his 10 albums in the panes instead of a list of the 1000 albums in my library.

You could make a case for when that's bad too.  

There's no way an option for something like that would help a new user, so we picked what we felt made the most sense.  Feel free to change our minds.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 11:18:56 am »

When did this change?? I hadn't even realised it had...  I much preferred the old style as you could limit a set of files quickly...  how do you do this now??  Is this wher you are supposed to use the quick find Ctrl Q thing??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder
Pages: [1]   Go Up