INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Run two MC at the same time (with different libraries)?  (Read 4003 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Run two MC at the same time (with different libraries)?
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:09:32 pm »

I would like to run two copies of MC21 at the same time. One for local library and another connected to MC Server library. I recall vaguely that this is possible but cannot find information in Wiki or forum with a brief search I did. Is it possible to do so?

Thanks,
Osho

PS: My motivation to do is to use local library for watching live TV and recording and using MC server library for using my media stored on a remote media server PC.  Due to a limitation, I cannot record live TV from a tuner card on a local PC without using local library.

Arindelle

Re: Run two MC at the same time (with different libraries)?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 05:12:01 am »

Hi

Yep, you can do this

Options=>General=>Advanced=>Allow multiple instances. You can load a local library and one and a "server" library on the other. Can't playback at the same time using the same device of course

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:02:50 am »

Thanks! I will give this a try.

Osho

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:52:30 am »

I've used two libraries for some time now. Is there any option to prevent library A from sharing its libray via dlna, even if libray B is not running? Library Bs server functionality shouldn't be affected.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »

I've used two libraries for some time now. Is there any option to prevent library A from sharing its libray via dlna, even if libray B is not running? Library Bs server functionality shouldn't be affected.
Not sure I understand what you want to accomplish here. Do you mean is their a way to prevent client A from accessing Library X from a server machine?  Libraries don't have server functionality themselves per se, they are either loaded or not; served or kept locally. Most people should not use multiple libraries and/or multiple machines running as media servers, they should be using access control - with one machine running as the "server". But I probably don't understand your question, so I may be way out in left field responding   :)

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 02:44:36 pm »

I have 2 libraries. Library A and Library B. When I open MC with Library A it should not make this libray available to MC- or DLNA-clients.
When I open MC with Library B, MC should make this library available to MC- or DLNA-clients.
The problem is that the option regarding media network is library independent. I'm looking for a possibility to still do it somehow. My current solution is to start MC with Library B before starting MC with Library A. But I think this solution is not really elegant and quite impracticable.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 03:05:00 pm »

That's what I thought you meant. The elegant solution IMO, is to have one library and tagging it so part of it cannot be accessed by all users  using access control for the clients. If you really do need to have separate libraries, you should be able to tag everything in the one you don't want public in the same way I'd think. As MC is library dependant as you say, thats one reason to avoid using multiple libraries except for pretty specific reasons.

There a big discussion of this somewhere on the forum about this ....

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »

That was my first idea too (back in MC 19 times), but it seems to be not capable of what I want to do.

The wiki says:
If you are using Media Network features, any connected clients (whether connected copies of MC, JRemote, Gizmo, or whatever) will "open as" whichever User is currently active on the server when first launched. In other words, whichever User happened to have been "last used", on the server, becomes is the "network client user setting".

If I had one library and would like to watch the content that was previously located in Library A, I had to login as a user that can view those files. At the same time all devices in the network would also show those files and that is exactly what I don't want.
In my opinion all DLNA clients should use an account specified at the server and all MC clients should use a configured one (like a classic login). Without access to the server, it should be impossible to view files without the necessary privileges.

MusicHawk

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:34:42 pm »

Not exactly the same scenario, but recently I was impressed at how two instances of MC could do different jobs with different libraries on the same laptop at the same time.

I was traveling to a funeral, where I was to show a continuous slideshow of random family photos, while also playing a shuffled playlist of vintage music (music and slides not related, just both happening at the same time). To reduce the gear I needed to tranport, I hoped to do this with just one laptop, audio to the PA system, video to a projector.

So, I tested at home and this worked: On a laptop I loaded a bunch of music files as one library, with a playlist set to shuffle. I loaded a bunch of photos as another library, also with a playlist set to shuffle. I set MC to allow multiple instances then closed it. I launched MC, loaded the photo library, started the slideshow, looked good. Then I launched a second MC, loaded the music library, started the shuffled playlist, sounded good. The two MCs behaved independently.

It all ran perfectly, except the slides eventually stopped because I hadn't set the photos MC instance to Play with Repeat. This was not a problem for the music MC instance because there were more songs than time to play them all.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 03:27:08 am »

That was my first idea too (back in MC 19 times), but it seems to be not capable of what I want to do.

The wiki says:
If I had one library and would like to watch the content that was previously located in Library A, I had to login as a user that can view those files. At the same time all devices in the network would also show those files and that is exactly what I don't want.
In my opinion all DLNA clients should use an account specified at the server and all MC clients should use a configured one (like a classic login). Without access to the server, it should be impossible to view files without the necessary privileges.

hmm I have to admit I don't use this feature, and have only tried this on PC clients not DLNA devices ... so I don't want to be categoric about it :)

So you are saying, if you have everything in one library, and you login as someone who has access to all files on the "server" machine, then all the clients have access, if you forget to log off (or you are currently logged on for full access)? I thought that the user from the client had to enter a password (so its client based, but server tagged). But maybe with DLNA devices this doesn't work the same way, not sure.
Can't help then sorry

If by any chance, you are using your "restrained" content by loading a separate library, and not tagging the files accordingly of course you would have this problem, as the feature I don't believe is designed to function that way.

I'd search the forum for a big thread on "access control" as this is really off-topic from the OP :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up