INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Launching MC21 causes re-install  (Read 2589 times)

vbphil

• World Citizen
Launching MC21 causes re-install
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:19:35 am »

Very often, but not all the time, when I start up MC21 is appears that it is reinstalling. The splash screen that comes up indicates that it is installing. Is it reinstalling for real or is that just the way it starts up?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Launching MC21 causes re-install
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:29:31 am »

That's not normal. Assuming you are manually starting the program by clicking on icon....

Be sure you are not clicking on the desktop icon for the installation of the program "MediaCenter210027.exe" (the full version listed in name).

Your desktop Icon should be a shortcut to "C:\Program Files....Media Center 21.exe" (or similar path depending on the drive you install to).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:09 am »

You could read about this in the wiki topic called "Updates".  MC automatically updates itself unless you tell it not to.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:53:29 am »

thanks for the feedback.

It might be the updates that are getting installed. I checked the Update Channels under the Help menu and I have Stable selected. Also, in the downloads folder I see 3 versions going back to 10/16/2015.

If I launch MC from the Desktop shortcut and there's a update available will I see that install before MC opens? Maybe that's the behavior I'm seeing.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »

I think you (and Jim) nailed it.
I like to turn automatic updates off - and just update manually whenever I see a new version is available on this forum.

You can modify your "stopped mode title" in the Standard View to display the current MC Version. I find this helpful as I am running MC on four machines (and would sometimes forget which version is running on what computer).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:10:46 am »

If I launch MC from the Desktop shortcut and there's a update available will I see that install before MC opens? Maybe that's the behavior I'm seeing.

Yes. When a new build is available MC will download it while it is running, and then set itself to auto-install that new build whenever it is relaunched. That's how the updater works.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up