INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues syncing music on MC21 to Ipod 6G 160GB  (Read 9007 times)

Oliverlim

• Recent member
Issues syncing music on MC21 to Ipod 6G 160GB
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:50:15 pm »

I found out that JRiver could be my dream music manager for my ipod classic 6G model.

However, on my MC21 latest version, it just hangs whenever I try to go into the ipod menu to change the conversion options or when I actually click transfer after selecting songs to sync.  I am not sure why.  I wanted to use JRiver as I have a bunch of DSD, and high resolution ALAC/FLAC files. I understand jriver will "downsample" the files into a format that my ipod will  understand. Mainly up to 48Khz and 24bit or less.  Am I right? It seems that many are suggesting to download a older version of MC to get it to work with the ipod. Namely MC18 or below.

Please advice. Thanks!

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues syncing music on MC21 to Ipod 6G 160GB
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:48:14 am »

Please advice. Thanks!

MC 21 works perfect with my 6G Classic here - but I do not allow MC to do any conversion "on the fly" so to speak.

I have a separate library dedicated to the iPod - all in MP3 format.

I convert any high-res files out of MC into MP3 and then move the converted files into the "MP3" library. Then I switch to the Library in MC - run a manual import and then plug in the iPod. MC then does it's thing and syncs to the iPod.

Since JRiver dropped any and all "real" support for Apple devices long ago - I try to keep things as simple as possible with what is left for standard "legacy" support in v21 (I am grateful v21 can still see and talk to my iPod) to ensure I can at least take something mobile with me when the need arises.

VP

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues syncing music on MC21 to Ipod 6G 160GB
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:41:12 pm »

I use MC21 with my iPod 5th generation Late 2006 upgraded with a 250 GB Hard Drive.
It works like a charm....NOW...

I recall having a similar or same issue on conversion...

Most likely due to your Antivirus.  Have a look at this topic on Interact and "tame" your antivirus.  In a nutshell put all JRiver *.exe files in your AV exclusion folder... They also suggest to put your entire media library as an exclusion also but then what's the point of having an Antivirus....Up to you. Can't remember what I ended up doing...

I also have a bunch of ALAC and DSD files that I convert to MP3 on the Ipod (No need for lossless as I use the ipod in the car..)

What I do is use MP3 and the Extreme setting and  "....Only convert High bitrate Option" (Sorry I don't have it in front of me..It's the last option at the bottom.
It's a one step handsfree process that takes many hours but it works great!!
I also like this option as it will not reconvert ANY of my MP3 files no matter what the bitrate is.

(And I don't keep anything in the cache folders under option either).  I just do everything on the fly!..However for DSD and 24 bit 192-96-88.2 KHz files it will take way longer to convert compared to 44.1/16
Just create a smart playlist for what you want on your Ipod and whenever you add/delete stuff in your library you just plug back your Ipod and resync.

(I use the same number of conversions for the number of CPU cores on my PC) - You might want to keep a few free if you are using the PC at the same time...

I also don't convert my DSD files as I usually have a red book equivalent but I recall doing it in the past and it works!!

**IMPORTANT** If you have iTunes make sure you set it so it doesn't open when you plug in your ipod otherwise it will corrupt the sync with JRiver.
Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up