INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Dynamic Range (R128)' Column  (Read 5271 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
'Dynamic Range (R128)' Column
« on: December 18, 2015, 05:36:09 am »

Hi

I have added ''Dynamic Range (R128)'' column to one of my pane views in Audio, and the first three values in that column are 0.6 LU,  0.9 LU and 1.1 LU. However I don't have any songs in my library with these values.

I was just wandering what's up with that? Does anyone have any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 'Dynamic Range (R128)' Column
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:49 am »

You need to "Analyze Audio" on your files to get the values filled in.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:50:41 am »

Edited the first post. Actually there are songs with these values in DR (128).  It's just that when I click on either of those values (0.6, 0.9 or 1.1 LU) in 'Dynamic Range (R128)' column I don't see corresponding songs, instead I get ''There are no search results inside the current pane selection. Double-click here to search the entire library."

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:43 am »

Edited the first post. Actually there are songs with these values in DR (128).  It's just that when I click on either of those values (0.6, 0.9 or 1.1 LU) in 'Dynamic Range (R128)' column I don't see corresponding songs, instead I get ''There are no search results inside the current pane selection. Double-click here to search the entire library."
That's wierd .. just added the column and works for me. Just to double check the tags,  try an reanalyze a couple of the files making sure the skip analyzed file box is not checked.... still not working? Maybe there were files analyzed prior to version 19 and the analyzer skipped those files?

Off-Topic: I just tried this for the OP, but I find some pretty weird results that I never bothered to look for before ... I know that there is not going to be a strict correlation going from let's say the old DR to R128 like a high DR could yield a low R128 measurement. But Having a high R128 figure and getting a low DR figure?? That seems to be pretty strange .. song with lots of Dynamic Range measured in LU should score pretty high in the old DR measurement wouldn't it -- this is not just an incidental song or two with lots of silences that might throw this off. I have more than a couple of thousands of files like this (out of 105K, so arguably this is a pretty low percentage), and a lot more with high scores in the old DR and low ones in R128. Is the basic assumption that the LU readings are more accurate and the DR readings are being thrown off by silences and things like that. I use this rarely unless I'm comparing what mastering to keep for a particular album, for instance.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 10:04:49 am »

That's wierd .. just added the column and works for me. Just to double check the tags,  try an reanalyze a couple of the files making sure the skip analyzed file box is not checked.... still not working? Maybe there were files analyzed prior to version 19 and the analyzer skipped those files?

Off-Topic: I just tried this for the OP, but I find some pretty weird results that I never bothered to look for before ... I know that there is not going to be a strict correlation going from let's say the old DR to R128 like a high DR could yield a low R128 measurement. But Having a high R128 figure and getting a low DR figure?? That seems to be pretty strange .. song with lots of Dynamic Range measured in LU should score pretty high in the old DR measurement wouldn't it -- this is not just an incidental song or two with lots of silences that might throw this off. I have more than a couple of thousands of files like this (out of 105K, so arguably this is a pretty low percentage), and a lot more with high scores in the old DR and low ones in R128. Is the basic assumption that the LU readings are more accurate and the DR readings are being thrown off by silences and things like that. I use this rarely unless I'm comparing what mastering to keep for a particular album, for instance.

Yeah, I did this - still the same behavior. Something wrong with the files perhaps? There is a total of 5 ''troubled'' songs for which this happens. It doesn't really affect me, just a weird thing that I noticed.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:16:16 am »

Noticed the same thing for 15 or so other songs. They are on the opposite end of the spectrum however - their DR (R128) ranges from 17.7 LU to 22.7LU.

UPDATE: Actually there are lots of songs with all kinds of DR (R128) values for which this happens, so it's not only songs with lowest and highest DR (R128) in my library.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:00:21 pm »

Arindelle, the two measures can move in opposite directions because they're measuring completely different things.  This wiki article that I wrote might help with a concrete example: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Dynamic_Range.  If the average level of the song is fairly close to the peak you can get a very small DR, but still have a larger R128 just because of the way averages work.

So for example if the average level of the song is -4dBFS and the peak is at 0dBFS, you have a old-school DR of 4dB.  But if that average level of -4dBFS is produced by half the song being exactly -8dBFS and half the song being exactly 0dBFS, then the r128 analysis might show an 8LU DR.   The R128 also discards the loudest 5% and the softest 10%, but you get the idea.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 03:31:39 am »

Arindelle, the two measures can move in opposite directions because they're measuring completely different things.  This wiki article that I wrote might help with a concrete example: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Dynamic_Range.  

Thank you. I missed your article. Well Done! :) I'll look in detail when I have the time and post another thread to not go too OT here.

Yeah, I did this - still the same behavior. Something wrong with the files perhaps? There is a total of 5 ''troubled'' songs for which this happens. It doesn't really affect me, just a weird thing that I noticed.
that's usually the case. Using a file utility, you should check them if they are corrupted or truncated they can't be analysed. Also some files with very long filenames. Prior to version 19 (before R128 songs shorter than 45 secs could not always be analyzed, but I don't think that is the case anymore)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:51:30 am »

Files have been analyzed and re-analyzed. I attached 2 screenshots below. On the 1st screenshot you can see that top 2 songs have DR (R128) of 0,9 LU. On the 2nd screenshot, when clicking 0,9 LU in DR (R128) pane these songs are absent for some reason. The same goes for many other songs - these two are just an example. Seems weird, nothing like this happens with any other pane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up