INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a 2nd listening area in my home  (Read 1533 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Setting up a 2nd listening area in my home
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:43:31 am »

I am in the process of setting up a second listening area on a floor of my home away from my primary modem/router, DAC, etc. via WIRE.  Among other things I plan to listen to HiRes audio files stored on a NAS device on my home network.

I plan to use an ID device (with JRiver MC), DAC/headphone amp and headphones at that remote location.  My cable company is willing to move a (secondary) modem that is currently handling the home phone system (in my basement) to that location, close to an existing cable jack.  However, the modem also needs to have a telephone cable running to it in order to continue connecting to the home phone system. The nearest telephone jack is in the same room, but roughly 25 feet away.

As a result, I am thinking about running a telephone cable from the telephone jack to the new modem location (along or behind a base board).  Will that length cause a problem for either the telephone or audio system?  Is there a high quality telephone cable available that offers any advantage?

I am considering this approach as an easier alternative to snaking cat 6 cable from my primary router about 100 feet through several walls to this remote location.

Thanks for your reply to this question.  Hopefully, it may be useful to others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up