INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Feature Request] Editing default program hotkeys  (Read 3099 times)

ombmask

[Feature Request] Editing default program hotkeys
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:03 am »

Hello!
Figured this would be a good thing to bring to attention.
I like having media center open but the single global hotkey is actually getting in the way and that brings up other problems.
CTRL-Shift-F12 is used in another application and I had no idea why it wasn't working because I wasn't in a text field.
I didn't expect media center to have that keybinding much less eat the key event and not allow it to be passed on to the other application.
Adding the ability to edit keybindings would allow normal users to also change and add keybindings without needing to use the MCC interface or XML interface into the application.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: [Feature Request] Editing default program hotkeys
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 09:18:18 am »

It isn't entirely clear from your post if you know this, but you can edit the normal Keybindings in MC.

If you knew this, and meant that there should be a GUI for this instead of manually editing the Resource.xml file, then I won't disagree. Though, I suspect they view this as a low-priority thing since not many people will ever use it anyway (and, frankly, we might not want people who aren't capable of editing the XML file to get in there and mess up their installation by mucking with the shortcuts anyway).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ombmask

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »

So I did a bit of digging and what I didn't know is that I would need to change the Resource.XML in the Default Resources rather than Custom Resources as described in the wiki link.

So no I didn't know that.
I was asking for a GUI and should have made that a bit more clear.
Being able to change the Hotkey's from a GUI would also allow the hotkeys to be sand boxed and protected so that a normal user couldn't change something that would completely mess up their installation. And in terms of them messing with their installation: A Simple reset defaults option could be in place so that if the hotkeys are changed it could be fixed later.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 01:06:54 pm »

So I did a bit of digging and what I didn't know is that I would need to change the Resource.XML in the Default Resources rather than Custom Resources as described in the wiki link.

No, you really want to make a new Resource.xml file and put it in the Custom Resources directory.  This allows you to add to, or modify the existing key bindings.  If you go messing with the Default, you won't have a safe set to fall back to.  I *think* the Default file is replaced with each version upgrade too.  They definitely designed this for you to edit the Resource.xml in the Custom Resources directory.

Brian.

ombmask

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 04:44:55 pm »

I see no indication of being able to UNBIND a key shortcut in the xml
Code: [Select]
    <!-- <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;F12" Command="25015" Param="1" Global="1" /> --> http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_windows_messages
And there is no documentation there on how to unbind any shortcuts.
So, as I was saying. I wanted to REMOVE a global defined shortcut defined by MC itself because it got in the way of other programs. If there is no unbind then there is no way to get rid of the keybind without editing the default Resource.xml.
So All I did was comment out the keybind I didn't like.
And it shouldn't have been this much trouble to change something.
The software should have at least told me of what it was doing rather than do it without knowledge or the user's permission.
This is why there should be a GUI for the keybinding settings in MC.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:07:50 pm »

I see no indication of being able to UNBIND a key shortcut in the xml

You are correct.  My mistake.  This isn't a normal "assign hot keys" topic.  That is, unbinding is almost never discussed.  Thus the reason I said to use the Custom Resources file.  But you ARE correct.  Unbinding seems to only be available by editing the Default file.

Note that you might have to do this again if/when you upgrade MC to a new version.  Make a copy of the file somewhere, so it will be easy to copy over.

Brian.

Castius

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:37:16 am »

It's a good request. I've made it once or twice myself.
It would help increase the user friendly aspect of JMC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up