INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphone Amps/DACS and higher quality USB-A to B interconnects + Toslink  (Read 13775 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck

Recently I upgraded to a pair of Grado's Prestige Series 325e's and am using the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 with JRiver MC 20 on OSX 10.11.2 [El Capitan latest build - no luck with Integer Mode). I am looking to purchase an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB A to B interconnect 1.5meters. My DacMagic 100 has 2 S/PDIF outputs as well as a Toslink. I used a generic Toslink cable that is well over 5ft long and connected it to my Mac Pro but received a large amount of interference. My DAC will only output in 176.4 using Toslink and I prefer 2x or 4x upsampling instead of oversampling. So any good recommendations on a Toslink cable similar in quality/price range to the AudioQuest Cinnamon series would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at several dedicated headphone amplifier for my Grado's. Specifically, Creek Audio OBH-11 Headphone Amplifier ($275) or MusicHall's ph25.2 ($399). My general rule of thumb is to spend twice as much on a DAC and headphone amp as your headphones, but I think there are plenty of people on this forum that know more than me, so please, I am very open to suggestions. My main goal is always to learn so please comment and help me out! Thanks in advance.

Robert

My configuration:
MC 20 on OSX 10.11.2 [El Capitan latest release] on a MacBook Air and a Mac Pro with one pair of active Yamaha HS7 studio monitors running Logic Pro X and Native Instruments Komplete 10. Working as an artist with Electrokitty Recording in Seattle, WA.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Headphone Amps/DACS and higher quality USB-A to B interconnects + Toslink
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:23:55 pm »

I'm an admitted Schiit fan boy.  I've followed a lot of their story and their products, primarily through the "Schiit Happened" thread at head-fi.  What a GREAT read that is!

At some point, I'm going to HAVE to try one of their multi-bit DACs.  No other DACs on the planet have their filter and the prospect is just too interesting for me to stay away.

Right now I have their much more budget oriented Magni 2 and Modi 2, which I think are freaking outstanding; especially for the incredibly low price.  More in your price range, I think the Asgard 2 amplifier is absolutely worth considering.  True class A amplification.  All discrete design.  Two gain levels.  It's frequently compared to much more costly amplifiers.

http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2

Brian.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 01:32:23 pm »

Or you can spend $230 on an O2+ODAC and all the rest on your headphones.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/odac-released.html

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 08:17:16 pm »

If you're in Seattle, keep an eye on the Seattle Head-Fi group. They do meets about every 3 months. Last meet was December 6th. Next meet is likely around March. Watch the Head-Fi meet announcements forum and the Seattle group's Facebook page for meet announcements.

At a meet you'll get to hear a variety of gear. And from that you can make a more informed decision about what amp and DAC to get.

The Seattle group likes the Schiit multibit DACs. Had all three versions of the Schiit multibit DACs at the last meet. Even an old Theta DAC (it was also awesome). The Schiit multibit DACs are awesome. The hype is because they really do sound that good. The Seattle group also likes JRiver. Most of the setups at the last meet were running JRiver Media Center.

Arindelle

+1 for Schiit  :)

haven't been able to try out their multi-bit DACs -- although through my system a Bifrost with an older "Uber" config blew away DACs at 3x times the cost. Wish they would make all of their line in Black though  :P

@OP -- save some money? Schiit sells very good cables for very little - 20$ US for a comparable USB cable  IMHO

got to love their add copy

Quote from: Schiit
USB PYST. This is the complete redefinition of USB cables. It actually, physically transports you* into an alternate universe where superbly-mastered, 24/192 music streams 24/7, free of charge to all listeners, for all genres. Supermodels in this alternate world are all deeply into high-end audio, and will beg to go out with you. Butterflies swirl in fantastic colors over clean-lined porcelain cityscapes, everyone is a millionaire, and flying cars run on air. It's a beautiful place to be!

*Or not. It may have been a hallucination. USB PYSTs are actually just nice, 1M long, USB 2.0-rated cables that have thicker than normal power conductors and silver-plated copper data lines. We think the electrons like silver better, or something. Or not.

In any case, you can get PYST, or you can save some money at Monoprice.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you! I'm rarely on Facebook for security reasons. However, I did join the group and am looking forward to participating in the following March meet!

If you're in Seattle, keep an eye on the Seattle Head-Fi group. They do meets about every 3 months. Last meet was December 6th. Next meet is likely around March. Watch the Head-Fi meet announcements forum and the Seattle group's Facebook page for meet announcements.

At a meet you'll get to hear a variety of gear. And from that you can make a more informed decision about what amp and DAC to get.

The Seattle group likes the Schiit multibit DACs. Had all three versions of the Schiit multibit DACs at the last meet. Even an old Theta DAC (it was also awesome). The Schiit multibit DACs are awesome. The hype is because they really do sound that good. The Seattle group also likes JRiver. Most of the setups at the last meet were running JRiver Media Center.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck

What do you think of AudioQuest cabling? I just purchased a "Cinnamon" USB-A to USB-B cable (1.5 meters for $80)?
Also, that add is awesome!

+1 for Schiit  :)

Schiit sells very good cables for very little - 20$ US for a comparable USB cable  IMHO

got to love their add copy

Arindelle

What do you think of AudioQuest cabling? I just purchased a "Cinnamon" USB-A to USB-B cable (1.5 meters for $80)?
Also, that add is awesome!

well I'm not the one to ask, as people get all hot and bothered when you query their expensive gear, I tend to not want to get people's dander up. I have purchased a lot of expensive audio kit, and have been bitten by the audiophile bug ... now, twice shy,  I think that 20$ in a DIY room correction panel + proper speaker placement is probably going to do a lot more for sound than 300$ interconnects. As long as a USB cable is as short as possible and has half way decent connections, let's just say I think you can spend lots of money or very little money and get good cables. I'm with the guys at Schitt on this, if they sold their RCA interconnects in lengths a bit longer, my cables would be on ebay in a second :)

oh do not ask me my opinion of these though, might not be able to contain myself http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK  ;D sorry guys can't resist  ;D  just have to read the customer reviews, they are a hoot

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck

The first time I saw that cable I couldn't contain myself either.

oh do not ask me my opinion of these though, might not be able to contain myself http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest-Diamond-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B0073HJVSK  ;D sorry guys can't resist  ;D  just have to read the customer reviews, they are a hoot
Pages: [1]   Go Up