INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assigning a Permanent Drive Letter  (Read 7983 times)

leperlord

• World Citizen
Assigning a Permanent Drive Letter
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »

Every once in a while when i use MC 21 and choose a file to play , i see it in view , but when i launch

it to play im met with a , cant be found message . This will continue throughout my entire library

Im left with no choice but to re import all my  music ( Maybe 6 plus TB )

This can take well over 14 hours ( win 7 64 bit , 3 mth old pc , quite fast and lotsa ram as well )

What takes the longest is the analyzing audio portion .

What is this analyzing audio doing ? And it seems files are already imported , can i just cancel this ?

This part takes over night and well into next day Ie im on file 4616 of 86070 from over 14 hours ago

( 14 hours in entire process not just analyzing audio . The analyzing has been near 14 plus hrs tho so

far )

Thanks for help

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Assigning a Permanent Drive Letter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

Is your Library kept on the computer's internal hard drive?

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Some is kept on PC internal , most is kept on WD external usbs

PS Can analyzing audio be cancelled with out detriment ?

I ve analyzed these exact files before

Thanks

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 04:56:48 pm »

You can put the actual media files on any disk or NAS, but the actual MC Library (the JRiver program) needs to be on the computer's internal drive (c:\) or such for best results.

You can cancel the Audio Analysis, no harm will come.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »

Your media files are on your PC internal drive and external WD USB drive.

Your library is the index of those files that MC creates and manages. See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager
Where is your MC library stored?
Hint: If you click on the library name where is shows under "Playing Now" in the MC Navigator on the left of Standard View, the location of the library will be shown near the top of MC.

Yes you can stop the audio analysis at any time, but it will start up again later if it is set to do so. You shouldn't want to anyway, as Audio analysis standardises volume levels of tracks so that you don't have to constantly adjust the volume as you listen to music. See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Analyze_Audio and http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Settings_and_Analysis

You should never have to reimport your audio files. If you don't do something that makes a problem worse, you will never be left with no choice but to re-import all your files. You will almost always be able to get MC working again with your original library. (Which, as above, is just an index of your media files, not the actual files themselves.) If this ever happens again, do not re-import your files. Write down what happened, what you did beforehand, then come to the forum and ask for help. It may be as simple as a two minute fix.

I suspect you are misunderstanding how MC works, and doing something that is causing it to seem like MC has lost its index of your files. The obvious potential problem is that you are using an external USB drive. If that drive changes assigned drive letter, then the files will still be seen in MC views, but MC will not be able to find the actual media files to play them.

So, does your external drive always get the same drive letter assigned?

In the Auto-Import configuration, what do you have "Fix broken links" set to?

It is too late now, probably, but all you needed to do was check which drive MC thought the files were on (hover over a file and a popup will show the path to the file), and what drive letter Windows has currently assigned to your external drive. Fi they were different, Windows had changed the drive letter. You could either change it back in Windows, or update MC to look in the new location. But for goodness sake, ask how to do that before re-importing, or deleting anything.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:38:42 pm »

Thanks CountryBumkin and RoderickGI

"Where is your MC library stored?"

I see playing from main library ( i m the only user , so i havent set any other libraries ) . Does this answe help with your question ?

It says located at c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\\J River\Media Center 21\Library\
Size 103548 files , 18.0 MB in library : 305 thumbnails

" Yes you can stop the audio analysis..."

Thank you . Is there a way just to disable it period ?

" You should never have to reimport your audio files "

Is there a way to occasionally back up the index of the media files , where in the future if i have issues , i can just load thast file ?

" So, does your external drive always get the same drive letter assigned?

Ím glad you caught that , windows did change names Ie F;/toonz1 and G/Toons2 letters , assignments were reversed

I seen that and didnt know how to fix it so i just re imported

Im guessing i could just somehow rename them in windows and relaunch JRiver and it would be A ok ?

"You could either change it back in Windows, or update MC to look in the new location."

I have no idea how to in windows , i did try in JRiver (prob. did it wrong ) ,where i seen it was reversed , i changed it back and rebooted JRiver to no avail

Plz tell me how to do this task , both ways for future reference

I also had problems with hi res files having vinyl/surface type of noise , and slight jumps skips

After days of trial and error i sussed it out , i set all input up to 352 , 800 HZ to have no output change , all above 352 , 800 is set to 352 , 800 HZ . I also chose Digital output ( Moon USB HD DSD 1.0.57 ) [Wasapi] .

I previously had different outputs chosen , and asio

Should i stay on Wasapi ? Or go back to Asio ?

I dont know the difference and have no idea which of theser moves corrected the problems with noise and skips/jumps .

Cheers

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:12 am »

leperlord, I recently described the steps needed to assign a permanent drive letter to an external drive.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=102142.msg708684#msg708684

Do it once and you won't see the drive letter problem again.

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 01:01:59 pm »

Thanks mate

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »

Sorry I've been a bit busy to answer your questions. Listener has provided the important answer now. Great.

I suggest that you add your noise and skips/jumps questions to your original thread on the topic. It is a bad idea to mix different issues in one thread as they get lost.

Also, search around the forum for a discussion on moving files from one drive to another, or telling MC that the files have moved to update the library, just so you know how to do it in future. There was a thread recently on the topic.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 06:51:11 pm »

Sorry I've been a bit busy to answer your questions. Listener has provided the important answer now. Great.

I suggest that you add your noise and skips/jumps questions to your original thread on the topic. It is a bad idea to mix different issues in one thread as they get lost.

Also, search around the forum for a discussion on moving files from one drive to another, or telling MC that the files have moved to update the library, just so you know how to do it in future. There was a thread recently on the topic.

RoderickGI's suggestion is a very good one.  You'll be far better off to learn how MC works before you start doing things that might be destructive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 07:47:52 pm »

leperlord, I recently described the steps needed to assign a permanent drive letter to an external drive.

This isn't always permanent. Depends on what you connect.

It is a bit nerdy to set up, but you may want to look at USBDLM:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

It is perfect for stuff like this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »

this worked for me, I have 10-each 128gig thumb drives, and it was a problem until I permanently Assigned the drives. I have never had another problem.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 09:09:58 pm »

This isn't always permanent. Depends on what you connect.

It is a bit nerdy to set up, but you may want to look at USBDLM:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

It is perfect for stuff like this.

So the Windows supported way of setting a permanent drive letter doesn't work?  I'm not arguing.  I'm asking.  That's no fun at all if that's true.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »

So the Windows supported way of setting a permanent drive letter doesn't work?  I'm not arguing.  I'm asking.  That's no fun at all if that's true.  

It has worked pretty seamlessly for me if (and only if) I:

1) select a drive letter towards the end of the alphabet,
2) make sure not to reuse the same letter, and 3) Windows correctly recognizes the drive as being the same drive each time (giving it a unique label helps).

The issues I've seen are mostly related to assigning a drive to a letter like E: or F:; which are likely candidates for automatic assignment of external drive letters. So if you unplug your mapped drive and plug in another one windows might just automaticallt assign it to E: or F: and then it makes a hash of things.  When I've used letters like Z: or Y: and made sure to keep the assignments unique I haven't had issues with windows reassigning the letter (except in one case where I had two different versions of the same USB drive with the same factory supplied volume label, and then windows would mix them up periodically).  It's definitely not as flexible or reliable as Linux or Unix drive mounting, but my experience has been that it's generally stable if you observe the rules above.

leperlord

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 06:44:12 pm »

Cheers mate

i have grandweans for a few days

So after that i will have time to look into all what i see are great pieces of advice

Cheers

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 07:14:34 am »

It has worked pretty seamlessly for me if (and only if) I:

1) select a drive letter towards the end of the alphabet,
2) make sure not to reuse the same letter, and 3) Windows correctly recognizes the drive as being the same drive each time (giving it a unique label helps).

The issues I've seen are mostly related to assigning a drive to a letter like E: or F:; which are likely candidates for automatic assignment of external drive letters. So if you unplug your mapped drive and plug in another one windows might just automaticallt assign it to E: or F: and then it makes a hash of things.  When I've used letters like Z: or Y: and made sure to keep the assignments unique I haven't had issues with windows reassigning the letter (except in one case where I had two different versions of the same USB drive with the same factory supplied volume label, and then windows would mix them up periodically).

Yes. Those are the main issues. You can also have issues if you use a device that has multiple connection types (eSATA/FireWire/USB/etc).

USBDLM fixes all of those issues, and provides a ton of extra features too. Plus it is free. I'm a big fan.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:19 am »

Yes. Those are the main issues. You can also have issues if you use a device that has multiple connection types (eSATA/FireWire/USB/etc).

USBDLM fixes all of those issues, and provides a ton of extra features too. Plus it is free. I'm a big fan.

Thanks for the link, glynor.  I read the page linked and have bookmarked it.

I've been using the method I described for years to keep drive letter assignments for backup drives consistent. (I use robocopy through batch files for backup, syncing and migration to new systems.)  When my current method falls short, I'll give yours a try.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »

>>USBDLM fixes all of those issues, and provides a ton of extra features too. Plus it is free. I'm a big fan.<<

Free for 30 days. After that the cost is $15.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 05:16:57 pm »

USBDLM is Freeware for private and educational (schools, colleges, universities) use only. The students shall outnumber all others.
Otherwise one licence per computer is required after a 30 day test period even though the software does not expire.

Only commercial use requires a licence.

It looks like a nice tool. It will hide all the drive letters my multi-card reader creates until they are needed, which is neat. Bookmarked for trying later.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »

Thanks for your help. I missed that when I read it. It does seem like a worthwhile program and I'll give it a try.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3996
* Firefox 122; Thunderbird 115.6.1
Pages: [1]   Go Up