INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which ID version to buy?  (Read 7307 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Which ID version to buy?
« on: December 25, 2015, 07:23:32 am »

Happy Holidays to all.

I am in the process of trying to set up a remote listening area in a second floor of my home.  My intention is to snake a Cat 6 wire between my primary router and the second floor -- where the ID would sit. The ID unit would draw music files from a single music library (including HiRes files) on a NAS drive on the WIFI system.  Which ID unit should I buy? 

If I build-out the hard-wire route, I assume storage capacity would not be an issue (?) since I plan to access files from the NAS drive (?).  Am I missing something?  In the event hard-wiring is not possible/too costly, is it possible to copy all the music files (600 CDs and a few HiRes files) EASILY from my NAS drive to an ID using an ID version with more built-in memory. (In other words, might it be smarter to play it safe and select an ID with more memory, rather than less?).

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which ID version to buy?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »

Happy Holidays to all.

I am in the process of trying to set up a remote listening area in a second floor of my home.  My intention is to snake a Cat 6 wire between my primary router and the second floor -- where the ID would sit. The ID unit would draw music files from a single music library (including HiRes files) on a NAS drive on the WIFI system.  Which ID unit should I buy? 

If I build-out the hard-wire route, I assume storage capacity would not be an issue (?) since I plan to access files from the NAS drive (?).  Am I missing something?  In the event hard-wiring is not possible/too costly, is it possible to copy all the music files (600 CDs and a few HiRes files) EASILY from my NAS drive to an ID using an ID version with more built-in memory. (In other words, might it be smarter to play it safe and select an ID with more memory, rather than less?).

Thanks.

The Id I use has enough onboard disk space to hold all of my audio files.
In my case that makes it a useful backup device as well.
The Id storage shows up like a NAS drive so you can drag and drop the files using explorer on Windows or finder on a Mac.

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:32:24 am »

I have the Id 202 (2tb). I have about 1.3 gb free, and 600gb in use with approx 9400 music files (700+ CDs and 75 hi-res).  If in doubt buy the larger drive, but I could have gotten by with the 1TB model...

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »

Thank you both for the responses.  I purchased the standard (smaller) Id (about a month ago).  Is there any way I might be able to do a "trade in" for the 2 tb model at this point?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »

If you wanted to ship yours back, we could give it a 2TB transplant for the difference in price plus $25 plus shipping.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:56:54 pm »

It sounds like my current inventory (all audio: 550 cd's plus 10-15 hires albums) and growing, will eat up the space on my standard Id pretty quickly (?).

Thanks for that offer; it is more than fair! I will do it as soon as I get a break, and perhaps some time away from using my system.

THANKS.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 01:11:12 am »

It sounds like my current inventory (all audio: 550 cd's plus 10-15 hires albums) and growing, will eat up the space on my standard Id pretty quickly (?).

Thanks for that offer; it is more than fair! I will do it as soon as I get a break, and perhaps some time away from using my system.

wdesbrow, how are things going?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:29 pm »

Hi Listener,

My remote Id set-up is working (I think perfectly) using wireless WiFi, and receiving its commands from my main MC PC and receiving its music files from the NAS drive on my home WiFi system. ... thanks in part to your previous counsel!   I am using the PC portable Android tablet version of MC to originate commands to my main MC PC.

My next step later this week (see previous posts above/below) is to set up a library on my Id that duplicates the entire library on that NAS drive so as to make the Id totally self-contained and update-able.  As you can see by the earlier entries, I will probably need an Id version with a larger (2tb) memory than I purchased originally.  But to me, it makes good sense to do that now.... although I am sure I'll need some additional help making that work and getting the Id to "copy" the entire library of metadata and music files.

I would certainly appreciate any further guidance in these matters.  THANKS.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:50 pm »

Hi Listener,

My remote Id set-up is working (I think perfectly) using wireless WiFi, and receiving its commands from my main MC PC and receiving its music files from the NAS drive on my home WiFi system. ... thanks in part to you previous counsel!   I am using the PC  portable Android tablet version of MC to originate commands to my main MC PC.

My next step later this week (see previous posts above/below) is to set up a library on my Id that duplicates the entire library on that NAS drive so as to make the Id totally self-contained and update-able.  As you can see by the earlier entries, I will probably need an Id version with a larger (2tb) memory than I purchased originally.  But to me, it makes good sense to do that now.... although I am sure I'll need some additional help making that work and getting the Id to "copy" the entire library of metadata and music files.

I would certainly appreciate any further guidance in these matters.  THANKS.

Send me a PM when you get to a stage where you'd like some help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up