INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can devices on two modems (same house) communicate MC commands?  (Read 3255 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Can devices on two modems (same house) communicate MC commands?
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:45:07 am »

I have a couple questions:

1.  In hard wiring a remote listening area, I was able to establish a second modem in that remote location (from my cable company) -- and the plan would be to hard wire an ID computer with MC to that modem -- then feed to a DAC and amplifier etc.  As a result, I would be selecting music on a tablet and MC Remote (that unless I am mistaken) would connect to my primary PC its JRiver software.  Then the tablet would send the selected file to the remote ID unit through the secondary router.  Will this arrangement work?  I have been told by the cable company rep that devices on each of the routers cannot "talk" to each other. So -- can JRiver MC send files anywhere on the same WIFI system, regardless of which router the devices are connected to?

2. Given the information above, and my intention to use a single music library on my NAS drive on the WIFI system, which ID unit should I buy?  I assume storage capacity would not be an issue (?) since I   plan to access files from the NAS drive (?).  OR, if hard-wiring proves to be too costly, can MC easily copy a music library from either a NAS drive or from MC onto an ID device -- so that I can use the ID device as a storage device as well?   (that way, I could possibly update the remote ID device, periodically copying files from either the MC library or the NAS library.)  If that is an alternative strategy I assume I would want to select an ID device with more built-in storage (?).

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can devices on two modems (same house) communicate MC commands?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:44:38 am »

1.  Yes.  I don't know why the cable company says that.

2.  The Id Classic would work as a Renderer.  You should be able to keep your audio files where they are now.

We have another board here for the Id.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 12:40:48 pm »

Jim

Thanks -- the bit about the cable company is perplexing of course.  I may need to speak with a technical person there who might be more experienced.

I did see the additional ID forum and re-posted that question there, earlier.

..And thanks for all your help in 2015.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 06:36:15 pm »

1. Actually, it really depends on why and how they have set up a second "modem".

If it is not really being used as a modem at all, and is just being used as a Wi-Fi extender, and all your devices are receiving IP Addresses in the same range (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx), then all device will be seen as on the same network and they will be able to talk to each other. So yes.

If they have actually installed a second modem with a connection to their external network (why they would do that I have no idea), then you would have two networks in your house, with two network IP Address ranges (i.e. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx), and they would not talk to each other, except via the internet. That would be bad. Possible, but bad.

A third alternative is that they have run Ethernet to your remote listening area and plugged a second "modem" in to that, then set it up to supply IP Addresses to devices in that area. That would be the incorrect way to do it. The DHCP server in the second modem should be turned off, and the first modem should be allowed to provide IP Addresses to all devices everywhere. The second modem would then act as a Network Switch and Wi-Fi Access Point. Then all devices could see each other.

So, you could do some checking of IP Address, and/or you could talk to someone who knows what they have done, and what should have been done.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up