INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play iso movie files  (Read 4659 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
Cannot play iso movie files
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:42 am »

I just imported my movie files to JRiver and I and display them in both standard view and theater view but when I try to play them I get a Windows Disc image burner pop up wanting me burn the file to a disc. I cannot watch any of my movies. Is it possible that I only imported the ISO image and not the actual video file? When I click on a movie thumbnail it gives me all the information except a duration or length of show in minutes. Suggestions on what I did wrong? I have no issues playing the same movies using WMC or Kodi.
Thanks
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cannot play movies
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »

I have no idea what you actually imported, but it sounds like the Windows default for playing that file type is set to run the Windows Disc image burner. That probably means you have just got ISO files, but MC will play those anyway, if set to do so.

Go to Tools/Options/File Types, then set the appropriate Playback Method and File Association if you wish. I just use the Automatic Playback Method for just about everything, and it just works. But if you are having trouble with that, associate the file type with MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:15:24 pm »

Thanks, I will check the playback settings. I thought I had set it for automatic playback. Where would I check for the windows default setting for running the Windows Disc image burner. I also tried to empty the video library and only loaded 4 videos but still had the same issues. I then accessed the movie files on my network using my windows 10 laptop and all the movies would play fine using VLC Media Player. I will let you what I find and If I can fix it.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

Where would I check for the windows default setting for running the Windows Disc image burner

Search Windows using the Start Menu for "Default Programs". Or go directly to it at "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs". Then select "Set Default Programs", select "Windows Disc image burner" and then "Choose defaults for this program". That will show you what extensions will open with "Windows Disc image burner" by default, and you can change them by ticking or un-ticking the extension.

In fact in my system, *.img and *.iso are listed against "Windows Disc image burner", but only *.img is ticked.

You can also go from "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs", select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" and set associations for individual file types.

Also, if you set the File Association in MC for a particular extension, I'm pretty sure it updates the Windows File Associations as well. Plus MC associates itself with a whole lot of file extensions, if you let it, during installation.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:55:01 pm »

Search Windows using the Start Menu for "Default Programs". Or go directly to it at "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs". Then select "Set Default Programs", select "Windows Disc image burner" and then "Choose defaults for this program". That will show you what extensions will open with "Windows Disc image burner" by default, and you can change them by ticking or un-ticking the extension.

In fact in my system, *.img and *.iso are listed against "Windows Disc image burner", but only *.img is ticked.

You can also go from "Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs", select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" and set associations for individual file types.

Also, if you set the File Association in MC for a particular extension, I'm pretty sure it updates the Windows File Associations as well. Plus MC associates itself with a whole lot of file extensions, if you let it, during installation.

I changed the file associations in the default programs and set it as JRiver. I also went to file types and set the file association so JRiver would play ISO files. I no longer get the Windows disc image burner but when I try to play a iso movie all I get is a stuttering screen with a small revolving circle and the only to stop it is shut JRiver down. I can play movies recorded in the MKV or M4V format I checked settings and cannot come up with anything. I also have Kodi and WMC/NextPvr on my system and the ISO movies will play fine on both of them. I am hoping I can make this work as I want to get away from WMC.  

1maynard

• World Citizen
Re: Cannot play iso movie files
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »

I just changed the thread title to cannot play ISO movie files. I fixed the problem I had with the windows disc image burner and no longer get the pop up but as I stated in last post IOS files will not play. When I press watch the screen just stutters and will not stop. I only have  10 days left on my free trial and I need to fix this issue before I buy.  Over 90% of my movies are in the ISO format. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:56:10 pm »

I can't help much with ISO files, as I don't use them. Someone will come along and help though.

But it could be your computer is struggling to play them, so while you wait, describe your computer setup, specs, etc., and run the JRiver Benchmark (Help/BenchmarK), then copy and paste the results here.

Also, search around the forum to see if you can find something that helps. There are lots of posts about SACD ISO files, but I'm sure I've seen a few about ISO movie files as well.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 10:02:55 pm »

I will run the JRiver benchmark tomorrow and post results. My HTPC is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Intel i7-2600 4 core cpu 4.00 Gb ram.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:59 pm »

I changed the file associations in the default programs and set it as JRiver. I also went to file types and set the file association so JRiver would play ISO files
MC doesn't play iso's. You have to mount them, then MC will play that.

To do so:
- Download and install Virtual Clone Drive (free).
- Set it as the default app in windows and set MC's playback method to automatic for iso, or just point to VCD in MC's filetype playback options for iso.
- Set MC as the default app for discs in windows (a mounted iso will show up as a disc drive in windows)
  Once mounted MC should have a pop up that asks what you want to do with the disc. Choose play.

Note that there is no reason to use iso's. They are for burning.
If you feel up to it, try unzipping the iso to a hard disc folder and playing that in MC. It will show up as ifo for DVD and bdmv for Bluray.

Gunny

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 11:25:07 am »

Hi 1maynard - This is my first post but since we seem to have very similar HTPC setups I thought I should respond.  I just downloaded JRiver last night and initially experienced results similar to what you describe.  For me the fix appeared to be the Red October Standard vs HD setting.  My HTPC is Windows 7 64 bit, 16GB Intel i5 so I figured I should be able to use the HD version of Red October.  When I switched to it I noticed video would lock up and audio would stutter, even after a reboot.  I returned to the standard Red October setting, rebooted and everything appears fine.  I do use Intel's integrated HD4600 graphics so maybe that's where the problem is.  As I said, I've just started playing with JRiver so I could be completely off base.  I do have a lot of BD ISO's however and I can assure you that they will play just fine with the correct settings.

Pages: [1]   Go Up