INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as a CD / DVD / BR player  (Read 5816 times)

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
JRiver as a CD / DVD / BR player
« on: December 30, 2015, 02:57:24 am »

Hi there
what about using JRiver as a remote-controllable CD Player instead of a media server / media player? I mean: insert a CD and play/pause/ffw/eject from JRemote? I cannot find any suitable option in JRemote (and JRiver) for this
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRiver as a CD / DVD / BR player
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:47 am »

uh uh it looks like a trivial operation like playing a CD/DVD from the tray of my fanless PC is out of the capability of the unit. Can you confirm? My evaluation license is going to expire so a decision is hurrying
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:03:43 am »

Not sure if I understand your question. If your fanless PC has an optical drive it will work. However if you are asking if JRemote will control it, it won't unless it is part of the library (there might be a work around for this, I don't do this myself, but you'd have to manually load the cd anyway). It should be able to control the volume I suppose, never tried this

You can use a regular remote to control the PCs optical drive though. I do this if friends bring a cd or DVD around for me to play ... if I listen more than once though I rip it. Blue ray needs special attention of course

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:27:10 am »

MC's main value for me is having quick access to my collection without needing to fumble around for a disk.

I'm with Arindelle and rip, file then play back is the way I work.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 07:12:49 am »

ok but i do not want to rip a disc everytime it is inserted in the tray (I have 3500+ cd and it is annoying)
I just want to use jriver as a CD transport (so I'll get rid of my CD player :) )
Stereo:

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:19:17 pm »

I fail to understand why you don't take the opportunity to rip a disc when inserted and then never need to insert it again? No need to rip it more than once. That is sort of the mainstream way of thinking in the world of computerized playback.

Al ex

Re: Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »

I fail to understand why you don't take the opportunity to rip a disc when inserted and then never need to insert it again? No need to rip it more than once. That is sort of the mainstream way of thinking in the world of computerized playback.
Plus you get a great tool to organize and operate a library of 3500+ CDs...

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:42:49 am »

1. disc space (I will rip with flac most of the time. m4a is an hoption for historcal recordings)
2. time (most of the time I have to tune the tags after ripping). I can think about when I'll retire :)
Stereo:

Trumpetguy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 06:31:43 am »

1. disc space (I will rip with flac most of the time. m4a is an hoption for historcal recordings)
2. time (most of the time I have to tune the tags after ripping). I can think about when I'll retire :)
Your 3500 albums will take up some 1.2 to 1.5 TB of disc space, ripped in flac with normal compression. That is one, quite cheap hard-drive.

Database management does take some time, I admit.

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 07:37:09 am »

Your 3500 albums will take up some 1.2 to 1.5 TB of disc space, ripped in flac with normal compression. That is one, quite cheap hard-drive.

I agree Trumpet, your preaching to the choir as they say. However if the OP wants to, why not? Different strokes for different folks :)

The Answer to his post is yes he can use his optical drive as a CD player and take advanatge of JRiver. JRemote unless the cds are artificially put into the db is just not the way best to control it.  Especially through the "Remote" selection in the menu.

My friend's wife refuses to use JRiver and insist she sticks in her CDs. I just bought her a 25euro IR remote and they play through JRiver beautifully (and my friend is happy  8) )

BTW I bet in 6 months those 3500 cds will be ripped ... finding one cd and loading it into a player takes more time than ripping it. Its part of the learning curve, is all

Trumpetguy

Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:18 am »

I agree Trumpet, your preaching to the choir as they say. However if the OP wants to, why not? Different strokes for different folks :)

Yeah, and I respect that and will stop preaching now ;D

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 09:38:19 am »

yes and 1.5 tera byte becomes 3 tera (I use raid for not suiciding in case the HDD breaks ;) )
btw i like the option to rip a cd when listening it (ripping will really suffer because of this practice?)
cheers
Stereo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up