INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Desktop doesn't return to user?  (Read 2399 times)

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
Remote Desktop doesn't return to user?
« on: August 26, 2003, 11:46:42 pm »

I use the Remote Desktop in Windows to connect to my HTPC for MC library management etc.
I dont have a keyboard connected to the HTPC, only a Logitech Trackman and a Girder/IRMan/remote setup.

My problem is that when i logon remotely, the screen on the HTPC (my TV) is returned to the XP logon screen.
This means that i have to enter the password from the HTPC but since this doesn't have a keyboard i cannot login.

So my question is:
Is it possible to have RDT return to the desktop, of the current user, instead of to the logon screen?

(I can do this in VNC, because it doesn't use the windows user password, but Windows RDT has much better screen polling and is better integrated.)
Give me some Motörhead

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Re: Remote Desktop doesn't return to user?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 01:51:54 am »

Theres a few ways to do this (but I am hazy on if I get this right search AVS HTPC section for the real detailed answers)...

The simple way was use the same username and Pass for the remote log in and instead of logging out to simply cancell the session IIRC that leaves the user logged in and you only need press the user box like restoring from a hibernate...

The second was by using a batch script either with Girder or making it as a shrotcut and leaving that on the desktop... Clicking the script auto logged you out and then the main user back in...

I have not tried either of these but did read them both in detail on AVS... The batch script command line was there also...

Happy hunting
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 10:54:16 am »

Thanks Freddy - im on my way... (now where did i leave that darn riffle?)
Give me some Motörhead

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 11:16:01 am »

I checked out phatphreddy.net are you still using the Talisman? Is it good? compared to myHTPC?
Give me some Motörhead

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 05:39:44 am »

Talisman is something I started about 3 years back when there were no other front ends or media shells out there...

People with far more skill than I have taken up the gauntlet and made better more flexible programs... I personally use MainLobby for all my GUI creation now.
HTPC Front ends  

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 05:49:31 am »

I solved this (with help from AVS Forum) by using the same user ID / password as the logged-in user, and closing the session using this shortcut:

%windir%\System32\tscon.exe 0 /dest:console

- I place this shortcut on the task bar, so that I can click on it at anytime.  It mean you have to remember to click on it (rather than just closing the window), but as long as you remember, it works like a charm.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 03:51:38 pm »

Why not use VNC http://www.realvnc.com (or it's compressed friend TightVNC) for remote desktop?

It's OpenSource, it works like a charm, it can run as a service, so you can login remotely even when Windows is not logged in etc etc.

For some tasks it's much better than RDP client...

Cheers
Rob

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 07:57:53 pm »

Because...

VNC (even Tight VNC) has far more lag...
VNC cannot (Last time I checked) reformat the screen to the resolution of the client log in machine...
VNC has visable compression artifacts...

I just find RDC so much more polished... The only issue i have is I need 3 concurrent RDC connections... I was told this may be possible with XP server edition but at a 1k registration cost... I dont think so... IMHO XP Pro should allow for 3 - 5 RDC connections in the 'Pro' version... I understand if >20 connections or so are restricted to server solutions but....
HTPC Front ends  

Tinnitus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 02:45:06 am »

Sorry for not responding sooner (have been busy with life unfortunately there are other things than MC, HTPC, RDT, etc.).

PP:
I couldn't find the girder/script solution you where talking about Zoner's suggestion does the trick.

Zoner:
Thank you! Thats it - my only issue is the exit dialog "Somebody else logged in..." but who cares its working :D

LunchmeatVoom:
What PP said (maybe except for the 3-5 connections, don't need that, but if Phreddy wants it i guess its ok ;))
Give me some Motörhead

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 02:04:34 pm »

Because...

VNC (even Tight VNC) has far more lag...
VNC cannot (Last time I checked) reformat the screen to the resolution of the client log in machine...
VNC has visable compression artifacts...

Point 2 is completely correct. Points 1 and 3 are dependent on which compression/encoding method you're using. If you use TightVNC with "raw" encoding, no compression is done, so there won't be any artifacts. In addition, this is the lowest-latency method, since the data doesn't have to be buffered and compressed. If you use "tight" encoding, especially with JPEG compression, then latency increases noticeably and compression artifacts can appear (which may be acceptable over low bandwidth links).

I'm not arguing that TightVNC can really compete with Remote Desktop--IMHO, it can't. Being developed by Microsoft, RDP has clear advantages over VNC, in both performance and features (multiple simultaneous sessions comes to mind). VNC does have its strong points, though: it's free, it's cross-platform (VNC from your cell phone via java applet? Yes, please!), and it supports a java client that runs in a web browser (which means you can access your machine from any java-enabled web browser).

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 02:08:53 pm »

I'm not arguing that TightVNC can really compete with Remote Desktop--IMHO, it can't. Being developed by Microsoft, RDP has clear advantages over VNC, in both performance and features (multiple simultaneous sessions comes to mind). VNC does have its strong points, though: it's free, it's cross-platform (VNC from your cell phone via java applet? Yes, please!), and it supports a java client that runs in a web browser (which means you can access your machine from any java-enabled web browser).

I'm pretty sure RDP is actually based on technology from Citrix.  Just another case of Microsoft absorbing something good and making it look like they designed it...

-JOhn
Pages: [1]   Go Up