INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem using JRemote with an Auralic Aries  (Read 1999 times)

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem using JRemote with an Auralic Aries
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:06 pm »

I was wondering if anybody has successfully used JRemote with an Auralic Aries.

I'll explain my setup first. I have J River installed on a PC which is connected to my network by ethernet cable. All of my music is stored on a NAS box. My Auralic Aries connects to my network by ethernet cable and the Aries connects to my DAC (Ayre QB9DSD) by USB cable.

The Aries is controlled by the Lightning DS app and apparently the only way to get the DLNA for the Aries to show up under zones in JRemote is if you set the DSLightning operation mode to uPnP Renderer. I've done that and now the zone shows up in JRemote but if I select that zone I'm not getting the music to play through my stereo. If I link the zone for the Lightning device to the Player zone on JRemote it works but I think I should be able to make this work without linking the zones (I would prefer not linking the zones).

Can anyone help?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem using JRemote with an Auralic Aries
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:39:09 pm »

Ideally you'd want to connect the Ayre to your PC via USB.  Then you'll have a nice direct connection that should handle (with some config) all of the formats you want to play.

If you want use the Auralic in between as a DLNA renderer, you'll need to set it up in JRiver so that it handles the formats that you want to send to it.  I would not try that from JRemote to start.  I'd start using JRiver's Standard View on the computer first.  Once you get the Auralic zone set up to handle your audio formats, *then* start using JRemote.

DLNA can be tricky to set up.  If you have trouble, you might open another thread in the Media Network forum.

Based on what I see here every day, I personally recommend that you don't use a DLNA device.  It adds a layer of complexity.  But it's your setup, so you can obviously do it however you want.

Brian.

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:04:54 pm »

My stereo is in a separate room from my PC so USB connection is not an option and the Aries is designed to connect through ethernet as well as USB. This is my second bridge device using this kind of setup. I also have an SOtM sMS100 Mini Server which I'm now using in another room with a smaller system. It works perfectly with JRemote/MC so in theory it should work with the Aries. Unfortunately I think Auralic's software is simply not as good. It seems to work fairly well with the DSLightning app but doesn't seem to play well with other renderers even though it's advertised as MC friendly. The DLNA device has a significant impact on sound quality improvement so I'm going to keep working on this. It's worth the effort. Thanks for the suggestions.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:10:35 pm »

My stereo is in a separate room from my PC so USB connection is not an option and the Aries is designed to connect through ethernet as well as USB.

I figured that was the case.

It seems to work fairly well with the DSLightning app but doesn't seem to play well with other renderers even though it's advertised as MC friendly.

There are LOTS of options for DLNA devices.  I find them a bit confusing.  You'll probably get more help with configuring the Aries over in the Media Network forum.

The DLNA device has a significant impact on sound quality improvement so I'm going to keep working on this. It's worth the effort.

"sound quality improvement" ?  Compared to what?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up