INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: installing a second music library  (Read 3000 times)

Cbn700

installing a second music library
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:53 pm »

Hi,

I am wondering on how to install a second music library?  I currently have just one that is .wav files.  I have another that is all mp3's and would like to install, but keep it separate from my ,wav files.  Can you do this?  Then can you toggle between which library you use when it comes to playing your music? thanks

Chuck

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: installing a second music library
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 07:01:26 pm »

Not an expert, but I'd put them in one library and create two views: 1 for wavs and 1 for mp3s. Then it's easy to see what you want to see.

I do the same thing when I don't want to see my kids music in the audio library. One lib, three views: everything, my stuff, kids stuff. Same with movies.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 07:07:34 pm »

I use the library manager (File-Library-Library Manager) to create a MP3 library in a separate folder from my main library (all FLAC). You can select what format(s) to add to the library when doing so.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:12:00 pm »

Ssands is correct.  There is rarely a GOOD reason to make a separate library.

One of the incredibly powerful things about MC is it's Media View system.  You can easily segregate your collection using views so you only see what you want to see in each view.  Switching views is almost instant.

Libraries take time to switch.  Libraries are fully isolated. Libraries can not be easily combined later when you change your mind.

Use views. You'll be happy you did.  :)

Brian.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:13:20 am »

I would definitely agree with ssands and bigentry here. You can still keep your different music files in separate folders (.\mp3  .\wav  .\flac  etc) and have an entry for each one in your import folders list. Then in the 'Audio' section just add a new library view for each format and then under 'Included Files' --> 'Set rules for file display...' set the rule to 'File Type is flac' or 'File type is WAV' etc.

In the screenshot below you can see the views for each format on the left. The only reason I have labelled them with the two leading dashes is so that they appear at the top of the list.

I hope this is helpful.

Cbn700

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »

Thanks this is the kind of information that I am looking for. 
 ;D

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:01:49 pm »

There is rarely a GOOD reason to make a separate library.

One good reason that I have is to maintain a dedicated mobile sync zone library for my iPods. There is no way (that I found) to get MC to behave with a single master library when one wants to sync just MP3 format to the iPod.

If anyone has tips - I am open to suggestions - but just the thought of massive duplicates (album titles, song titles) and so on - keeps me from ever wanting to even attempt to try a mix of FLAC and MP3 in the same library.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up