INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 (trial version) constantly crashing when trying to create playlist  (Read 8566 times)

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi there, I'm using a trial version of MC21 on my MacMini i5 mid 2011.

I'm basically loving MC21, but have some issues:

1/ When selecting playlist tab with a view to creating a playlist, MC21 crashes everytime.
2/ The iphone app (which is brilliant) now only shows me a limited selection of my albums, artists, genres etc instead of the full list which it did when I first installed a week ago. (I can hwoever see the rest of my libraries content if I 'search' for particular items or if I use the recently added tab).

I do have a large library and wonder if this is an issue for MC21/My MacMini - I have 3 2tb external drives with music and 1 1tb audiobook drive attached. All work fine for playing from library, it is just the playlist and iPhone app which have issues.

Any help appreciated, (should I attach the crash log?).

Thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 (trial version) constantly crashing when trying to create playlist
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:22:20 am »

Have you installed MC by copying it to your Applications folder?  It's a common issue for people to run it straight from the DMG install of installing it.  If you haven't, please install it, then try again, running it from the Applications folder.

EDIT:  ...and if you haven't done so yet, download the latest build of MC21 for Mac from the top of the forum.  It should be 21.0.31 right now.

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:35:46 am »

Hi Brian, thanks for your quick response.

Yes, it's running from the Applications folder and it's the latest build 210031.

Thanks

Russell

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:20 am »

Hmm.  I'm assuming you're running at least OSX 10.8.X on a machine of that age; possibly 10.9.X, or even 10.10 or 10.11.

Attaching MC's log might help someone figure out the problem.  There are two logs.  The first one is generated by OSX when an app crashes.  You could put that one here, but it's not usually all that useful to the developers.  You never know.

The other log is one that MC generates internally.  This must be activated manually.  It's not hard, but you have to turn on that feature.  The basic procedure is:

1.  Turn on logging.
2.  Make MC crash.
3.  Re-open MC.
4.  Tell the logging sub-system to zip up it's log.
5.  Go get that zip file (from the Desktop) and attach it here.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Is there anything unusual about your system?  Are you using an external disk for a boot disk?  Do you have JRiver's database stored somewhere other than the default?  Are your media files on an external NAS?  Do you have unusual file formats in your library?  I'm just firing off a bunch of things that come to mind.  Not sure if any of them are relevant to your situation or not.

Brian.

PS:  What style/system do you teach?

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:25:36 am »

Yes, I'm running 10.8.5. I should also mention that I'm accessing the Main Library located on the MacMini using MC21 on my Macbook Pro (also running 10.8.5) and it has the exact same issue as the MacMini - crashing as soon as I open the playlist tab to start adding a playlist.

I've attached the two crash logs, OSX as a PDF and also MC21 ZIP file.

Thanks

P.s. I teach a Kickboxing/Karate style called Mo-Gei-Do in the UK. Cheers

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:50:21 am »

UPDATE:

The MC21 app started crashing on both systems as soon as I tried to do anything at all  :(
I tried to reduce the size of the library by removing one of the external drives from the library and even that crashed it.

I've managed however to 'clear' the library and it now seems fine and I can even set-up playlists - although the library is obviously now empty.

I'm guessing the size of the library was an issue (around 7TB in total with a lot of Hi-Res files and some ISO's too). I'm going to gradually add stuff back into the library to see what happens.

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:58:48 am »

I've read through the log and I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm not a developer, so I'm obviously not as educated about the internals of MC as they are.  The last thing it does is tries to load an image file, which I think is a thumbnail, but I'm not 100% sure.

It looks like you had around 250,000 file in the library.  That's a big library, but MC has been tested with libraries more than twice that size.  In fact several users run real libraries over 500 - 750k files as an everyday configuration.  The size of your library shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be curious to hear what happens as you add more media.  Maybe someone else here can offer some good suggestions for you.

Good luck!

PS:  Thanks for the info about your teaching.  I always find that stuff interesting.  :)

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:54:16 pm »

Ok, thanks for your help Brian. I've just added back one 2TB drive and a 1TB drive and so far so good...

I wonder if the image file you mention could be an ISO image or something similar?

Good news that a large library will work fine. I guess I may have a Gremlin file lurking in my Library causing the problem.

I'm currently searching Google but thought I'd ask here - is there a way to get a list of all the files that failed to import to MC Library?

Thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »

If you find the file we would like to see it.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 01:58:50 pm »

If you click the details button right after your import (a manual import) it should list the files that it skipped.

After the fact, you can find a list of files that MC has determined to be "bad" and won't try to import again.  Details:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Bad_Files

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »

Thanks again Brian.

I've now added 4TB back in and so far, so good. If I find a file that is causing problems, then I'll post it.

The MC iPhone app also seems to be working properly again now  :)

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »

So I'm still having lot's of trouble with the Mac program and the iPhone app  :(

The program now crashes every time I click the Audio menu button on the left hand side of the screen. Video, playlists and other buttons are fine.
I've tried removing disks from the library but it hasn't helped. What's stranger is that it was working fine until yesterday. (Streaming using my iPhone works fine though).

A problem with the iPhone App is that it's only showing me approximately the first 100 albums, or artists or whatever I select. However, if I use the search function I can find all of the albums that are on my external drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 12:29:01 pm »

The program now crashes every time I click the Audio menu button on the left hand side of the screen.
Which program?
I've tried removing disks from the library but it hasn't helped. What's stranger is that it was working fine until yesterday.
Did anything change on your machine or network?

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »

MC21 running on a Mac Mini is the program.

Haven't changed anything on the machine or network - except added more content to the library which I've now removed.

Thanks

P.s. Audio is streaming to my iPhone (using MC21 running on the Mac Mini and the JRiver app on my phone) just fine - aside from it not showing all albums/artists etc as previously mentioned.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »

If you don't use JRemote, can you duplicate the problem?

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 03:21:09 pm »

I've seen bad files crash MC a LOT.  Not every time, but it's somewhat common.  You should go through MC's logging procedure.  Turn logs on.  Cause a crash.  Restart MC.  Tell logging to generate a zip file.  Post that zip file here.  More details here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »

Hi Brian, logs are attached. Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:04:27 pm »

I need someone else to look at the logs.  I just see the same thing I saw last time:  The log ends *right* after it seems to be reading or creating thumbnails:

0055362: 2042958208: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Media Sub Type; Files: 249790; Pointer bytes: 112752; Data bytes: 16488; Elapsed ms: 0.448
0055362: 2042958208: Database: CThumbnailsDatabase::GetThumbnails: Creating object
0055388: 2042958208: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Image File; Files: 249790; Pointer bytes: 1998608; Data bytes: 672360; Elapsed ms: 15.307

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 04:28:24 pm »

Brian, apologies - I mistakenly attached the previous log that you saw last week.

I've just attached a new one here.

Thanks

Russell

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »

I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice the date stamp on the file being old.  Oh well.

This log is much longer.  I thought at first that it might be choking on some classical music you have set up as cue files that point into a large FLAC file.  But I *think* those are getting processed correctly.

The last few lines are again, about thumbnails:

0129954: 1899643264: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Thumbnail Offset Small; Files: 281218; Pointer bytes: 176688; Data bytes: 16488; Elapsed ms: 0.920
0129954: 1899643264: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Thumbnail Offset Medium; Files: 281218; Pointer bytes: 176688; Data bytes: 16488; Elapsed ms: 0.498
0129955: 1899643264: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Thumbnail Offset Large; Files: 281218; Pointer bytes: 176688; Data bytes: 16488; Elapsed ms: 0.484

I'm not sure what this means.  I'm hoping someone else will look at the log file and have a better idea.

Brian.

sensei_russ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 09:00:34 am »

My fault for attaching the old file Brian. Thanks again.

How do I bring the log file to the attention of an Admin/JRiver person?

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 09:33:32 am »

^ JimH, the CEO of JRiver reads every forum message and responds to many.  So he's seeing this and presumably a developer or two sees it also.  Not sure, but that seems to be the case.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up