INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC doesn't see any Drives & Devices  (Read 2589 times)

serriggs

MC doesn't see any Drives & Devices
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:36:00 pm »

When we had MC on a PC, it always showed the external drives under Drives & Devices. The Mac Mini is showing the external drives, but MC is not. Any advice?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC doesn't see any Drives & Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »

You're asking about navigating drives and folders that you have not imported right?  As far as I understand it, that functionality does not exist on the Mac version of MC.

You can always do File > Open Media File if you want to open a specific file that's not imported.

MC works really nicely once you have your media imported.  Is there something stopping you from importing it?

Brian.

serriggs

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »

We are having a little difficulty importing our media. We set the library location to be on a LaCie drive, and the files we wanted to import were on a Western Digital drive. When the library created, it showed files pathways on the WD drive. We don't want the WD to be used day to day. It was the drive used with our PC when MC was on the PC before it died.

We did make a test to make sure the WD was visible to both Macs and PCs by viewing on my Air laptop.

We had thought that the files would be moved to the LaCie. Is that not possible as an import function?

In the past, my husband navigated via the Drives & Devices and just moved files.

Does that make sense?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:07:17 am »

MC doesn't move files itself unless you tell it to by importing first, then using the Move, Rename, Copy tool.  Be cautious using it and try a few files first. 

Your auto import settings may also matter.  I'm not sure exactly what you want.

gomle69

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:39:54 am »

Maybe serriggs wants do do this (from the Wiki):

"Drag and Drop

You can use MC's My Computer (found in the tree under Drives and Devices) to drag whole folders to a new location. MC will update its library to reflect the changes."

I have downloaded the Mac trial  and wanted to do this after importing some files, but My Computer and external HDD are not showing up under Drives and Devices.

Edit: I found the post "MC for Mac and for Windows Compared". It's not awailable in the Mac-version. That's too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up