INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: play 'Next Album' and 'Next Artist'  (Read 3936 times)

bMinor

• World Citizen
play 'Next Album' and 'Next Artist'
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:37:56 am »

in album view, is there a 1 step solution (like cmd+n/l for playing the next/previous track) to jump to the next album or artist and have MC play it?
i still find myself having to stop a track, then navigate to the next album, then hit play…that’s 3 steps and 2 too many. What am i overlooking?

also: menubar/player/skip to/~  “sounds” like what i’m looking for (with shortcuts).
Clicking on any of those 4 options doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

happy new year everyone

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: play 'Next Album' and 'Next Artist'
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:49:26 am »

As far as I can tell, those menu items are not bound to hot keys.

Test them and see if they act the way you want them to.  If they do what you are expecting, then you can map them to hot keys yourself.  Here are the entries that describe those functions:

<Entry Command="10059" Text="Previous Album" Param="1" />
    <Entry Command="10059" Text="Next Album" Param="2" />
    <Entry Command="10059" Text="Previous Artist" Param="3" />
    <Entry Command="10059" Text="Next Artist" Param="4" />   

If you've never mapped keys before, there's a learning curve.  It's not too bad, but it does require some effort.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:00 am »

thanks Brian,
are you saying those 4 menu items work for you by just clicking on them? here they don't.
i'll give mapping a shot...

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:20:29 am »

The way I browse my library those keys don't make sense for me.  Honestly, I'm not even sure what the intended behavior is.  Are they designed to operate against the Playing Now list?  That would make some sense.  Are they designed to look at your current view in some way?  I'm not sure.

If you had MC set up so that double clicking did "Play now (all)", then in some cases, it would add every album in your current view to Playing Now.  Then those keys would work, assuming they operate against playing now.  But I'm just speculating.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:34 am »

I just did some experiments and those "skip to" commands definitely operate on Playing Now.  Add 4 or 5 albums to Playing Now and give it a try.  It works exactly as advertised.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:05:05 am »

yep i just did and it works as advertised in playing now.

i still wish there was a way to achieve the same from the album view.

the concept of 'playing now' is great until you go into a different view, spot a tune you wanna hear
and the moment you play it the 500 previously selected songs in the 'playing now' list goes poof because you didn't
'add' or 'add to play next'...
it's always that extra step that's bothering me :)

I'll re-visit the options in 'Behavior'...the key is probably there

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:20:22 am »

i still wish there was a way to achieve the same from the album view.

You could just add the first 10 or 15 albums from where you are in the albums view:  Highlight them, right click, Add to playing now.

the concept of 'playing now' is great until you go into a different view, spot a tune you wanna hear
and the moment you play it the 500 previously selected songs in the 'playing now' list goes poof because you didn't
'add' or 'add to play next'...

Yes, that was a problem for me when I first got MC.  So I changed the double click behavior (Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Double click ).  I use "Add to playing now (play now)".  That way, any list I have in Playing Now is unaffected:  I just get that new song added and played right away.  The rest of Playing Now is intact.

I'm not sure if that is what you're after or not; just sharing my experience.

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:33:38 am »

the key for me is to make an effort to embrace 'playing now' which is kinda uncoventional where i'm coming from.
i'm used to play what i see from wherever i am on the screen without taking extra steps.
but i admit, playing now does make a lot of sense as long as i keep in mind that Views are not playlists.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:05:55 am »

the key for me is to make an effort to embrace 'playing now' which is kinda uncoventional where i'm coming from.
i'm used to play what i see from wherever i am on the screen without taking extra steps.
but i admit, playing now does make a lot of sense as long as i keep in mind that Views are not playlists.

You're right!  Playing Now is different than players that don't have a (visible) play queue.  But Playing Now also makes a lot more sense than most other play schemes.  Why?  Because you always know exactly what's going to play next.  Just look at Playing Now.  The order is the play order period, end of story.

You can do so many powerful things with Playing Now; it's wonderful.  A few examples:

1.  You've got a big playlist and you add it to Playing Now.  You, or your wife, or a guest says they really, really don't like one of the artists in your playlist.  No problem.  We can remove it from Playing Now, yet the playlist stays intact for next time.  Just display Playing Now, and type the name of the artist in the search box.  Playing Now shows just that artist.  Highlight.  Press delete.  Poof!  All of the songs by that artist are gone from Playing Now, but the rest of the songs are still there.  Again, the original list is unaffected.  Erase the search box to see all of Playing Now again.
2.  You're listening to song 30 of 100 in Playing Now.  You previously chose "reshuffle" to shuffle all of the tracks in Playing Now, so they are in a random order.  You decide you want to hear another album, but also want it to be shuffled into the mix.  BUT:  You don't want to shuffle the 30 songs you already heard.  <right click album> Add to playing now.  The album is at the end of playing now.  Press <shift><control>R or Player > Shuffle > Reshuffle remaining .  Now the album is mixed in with the songs below your current playing position.
3.  You're listening to a playlist and you decide (for whatever reason) that the order of the next few songs is wrong.  Just drag them around in playing now and the new order is the playing order.  The original playlist is unaffected.
4.  You're listening to a list of some songs in Playing Now and you decided that you've just created the perfect mix.  Let's save it.  Press and hold on one of the numbered rectangles above the list of songs.  Give it a name.  Now it's a preset.  Or, let's save it as it's own playlist, without making it a preset:  Highlight all files > (right click) > Send to > Playlist > create playlist .

Embrace Playing Now.  It's your new best friend!  :)

Brian.

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:24:03 am »

Embrace Playing Now.  It's your new best friend!  :)

let's not go overboard here...my best friends serve me Tequila...and not the Champs kind  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up