INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install Problem  (Read 3363 times)

Nada

• Recent member
Install Problem
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:47:40 pm »

I installed 20.0.94 over a more recent copy because when I wrote in to the forum, someone responded and gave me a link to what they said was the most recent version of 20 for Mac. However after installing that, the program either only gives an endless spinning wheel, or crashes right out of the program.  So now, I have no working JRiver at all, whereas before I wrote in earlier today, I at least had some functionality some of the time. Now I have none.

So I am wondering what the best thing to do is. I have so much already installed into my JRiver that I don't really want to delete everything and start over. Do I have to do that?  And can I install version 21 and have it work on my iMac running Snow Leopard?

Please help! Thanks in advance.  

Nada

• Recent member
Re: Having a very bad day.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:41:47 pm »

I bought the new version of Media Center (ver 21) and installed it and opened it.  Of course, there were none of the files that I had installed into Version 20.  Is there any way to recover those? Or, do I have to start all over.  I can't even use the 20 version to see what was installed there, because as soon as I start my 20 version, it opens momentarily (I see some files for a moment) and then it crashes and closes the version 20 Media Center.  Do I have to start from scratch all over again, or the information be imported into 21?

Attached is the message I get when Version 20 crashes.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »

In big friendly letters:  DON'T PANIC

You can download the last version of MC20, MC20.0.132, here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99544.0

That may help you get version 20 working again.

On Snow Leopard (10.6.8 ?) I'm not sure how much or how little of MC21 works.  I know that 10.7 is generally recommended for MC20 and MC21.

It's TOTALLY NORMAL for a new major version of MC to NOT see the previous library on Mac.  They automatically migrate the library under the windows versions, but not under Mac for whatever reason.  But never fear!  Library Backups are here.  To save the day.  (Bad super hero references in case I sound like a crazy person.)

MC20 and MC21 make automatic database backups once every few days.  They can be restored at any time with: File > Library > Restore library .  But first you'll want to locate your backups. They are normally located at:

[Your User Directory]/Documents/JRiver/Media Center 20/Library Backups

Just find the latest backup there and you should be able to restore it into MC21.  You should then see all of your media, views, playlists, etc.

Good luck!

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:18:51 pm »

I'll also refer you to the wiki article on Library Backups which should help explain around the edges. Though, with that said...

Brian's sage advice has already supplanted the great Wiki as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Nada

• Recent member
Re: Install Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »

Thanks to all for the replies, Brian and glynor.  I did install V21 on my 10.6.8 and it seems to work fine, although I haven't used it more than two days running. Still, it's great to JRiver Media Center up and running again. Do you think it's likely the failure of V20 was due the iMac's hard drive starting to go bad.  I haven't had any other problems to my knowledge that appear to be drive related.

Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new iMac within the next few months.

Thanks for your reassurances, and, of course, the info.

Beat Regards,
Nada. :)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »

Brian's sage advice has already supplanted the great Wiki as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words DON'T PANIC inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.

I see what you did there.  :) : ) :)

Brian.

blgentry

Re: Install Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:18:17 pm »

Nada,

So glad to hear you're up and running again!  I'm not sure what was going on with your system.  It's hard for me to diagnose because I haven't seen very many failures like this, and it's always via the forum so I have little info.

As I said in a previous post, you might look in the system log, which you can get to from Applications > Utilities > Console and look for any messages related to "disk".  Look over the time period from now back to when this problem started.  Just an idea.

Good luck going forward.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 03:26:00 pm »

I see what you did there.  :) : ) :)

I couldn't believe days had passed with no reply!   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up