INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9 and MuvoNX  (Read 2145 times)

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
MC9 and MuvoNX
« on: August 28, 2003, 05:16:56 am »

I'm quoting myself just to throw this in a new thread. It kinda got buried in an old thread and I'd like to have an idea of the answer before I get the Muvo NX.  Thanks

Steve,

Does MC9 allow you to change song order on the Muvo?  From what I read, the biggest drawback to the Muvo is that the drag-and-drop method (directly in Windows) does not alllow for re-ordering of the songs. Therefore the songs play in alphabetical order. If you re-order them in MC9, will they play in my desired order, or alphabetically?  

I figured the Muvo would work with MC if only through the My Computer tree on the left, which would be just like working with it in Windows directly. But I would be quite happy to find that MC9 would allow you to re-order the songs. That would really be my only reason for getting the Notmad Explorer, so if MC9 does it, so much the better!

Thanks

crow

"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC9 and MuvoNX
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 06:45:06 am »

Crow,

I confirmed that the alphabetical playback is what Muvo does. As far as I can tell there is not a lot I can do about this. Perhaps confirm/check this with Creative and see if they are working on improving this behavior.

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 07:15:02 am »

Steve,

I contacted Creative and they told me that the Muvo is a low-cost, bare-bones mp3 player and that they will not implement any such feature. To me, that's a pretty basic function that should be available on any mp3 player, regardless of the "level."

I guess I'm stuck dropping another $15 on the Notmad Explorer software if I want that functionality.

Thanks for your help,

crow

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 07:25:11 am »

crow,

Are you saying that NotMadExplorer allows you to modify the order of tracks on Muvo? Are you sure of this?

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 07:37:54 am »

Steve,

Yes, that it what they claim.

I heard about it from ign.com's review of the Muvo NX, which said that the Notmad Explorer is indispensible if you own the MuvoNX.  All that I know about it comes from that review and the manufacturer's website which is here:

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/

They certainly claim that it re-orders tracks as well as other functions. I'm not sure how it works, as I don't know much about software code and all that good stuff.  It may be some sort of plugin for Windows Explorer.

Thanks

crow

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 07:43:30 am »

Here is the link to the ign review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/433/433364p1.html

The Notmad manufacturer's website also says something about re-compressing songs to fit better on the MuVo, not sure what that's about...

crow

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 10:28:22 am »

Crow,

You are correct, NotMad appears to support track reordering for the Muvo NX. They appear to do it by renaming the files on the player to a string which is in  alphabetic order. I have built the functionality for removable drive players in MC to be generic and so I do not want to implement this as a standard part of MC because it would not make sense for many players. It would be possible to build a separate plugin for Muvo NX which would support this functionality and we can look into doing it in the future.

Steve

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 06:40:46 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time and looking into it. Obviously you guys are busy with much more important things, but one day that plugin would be great.

Thanks,

crow

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 07:20:02 pm »

I dont know how much the Nuvo MX is going for but having searched ebay a lot lately I can say that there are some sweet little players with 256 MB for <130...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 04:36:24 am »

I think the Muvo NX 128 goes for about 130, and the 256 goes for about 200 (USD).

I'll definitely check ebay...

crow
Pages: [1]   Go Up