INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Each song shows as an individual album  (Read 3071 times)

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
Each song shows as an individual album
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:10 pm »

I’ve recently set up JRiver on my Mac and everything is working correctly except I’ve got one album where each song is in the library as a separate album. That is, the single album is in the library 12 times, each with a single, different song. I’ve checked the tags and each song has exactly the same tags except the name of the song. I’ve tried deleting the albums from the library and reimporting them but it still shows each song as a separate album. They all have the correct cover art. Can someone help me get this fixed? Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Each song shows as an individual album
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:34:02 pm »

Is this a compilation album with tracks from several different artists?  If so, it's a common problem that's easy to fix.  Highlight all tracks.  Open the Tagging Window (Edit > Tag).  Now fill in a value for [Album Artist].  A lot of people use:
(Multiple Artists)
or
Various Artists

The first one with the parenthesis will make these albums sort as the first one in an Artist view.  The second one will sort with the Vs in an artist view.

More details:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:36:54 am »

The album I'm having trouble with is Genius Loves Company by Ray Charles. Although it was originally tagged with different artists for the various tracks I had already changed all of the tracks to Artist = Ray Charles. The only thing that changes between each song in the tags is the name of the song. Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:51:38 am »

Read the Wiki article Brian linked above.

The default views in MC do not directly use the [Artist] field, so filling it in will sometimes have no effect, if the files are also tagged with an [Album Artist]. The field that is used in the default views is [Album Artist (Auto)]. This is a "calculated field" which is automatically populated using the rules explained in the wiki article.  It amounts to:

1. If [Album Artist] is filled, then this "wins".
2. If [Album Artist] is blank, then the value of [Artist] is used.

There's some things fancier than this, but that's the net result that is impacting you.

So, "fixing" the [Artist] field on your files to all be Ray Charles would only work if [Album Artist] is blank. In your case, it probably isn't. Those files likely have the same values in both [Artist] and [Album Artist] (because people tag things poorly and then upload them to databases).  What you probably want, is to keep [Artist] filled with the actual artists for each track, and to change [Album Artist] to be Ray Charles. That's how the system is designed, anyway. If you don't want to bother with this, you can do one of:

1. Just clear the values of [Album Artist] from those files where it gets in the way.
2. Alter the views in Media Center so that they use [Artist] directly instead of [Album Artist (Auto)] and then you can just ignore the [Album Artist] field for the future.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:42 am »

Thanks for your help. I didn't realize that there was a show all tags choice and that I wasn't seeing all of the tags. When I used that and followed your suggestions on how to tag the files it took care of the problem. Thanks again for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up