INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (SOLVED): Search for TV can be misleading  (Read 4261 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
(SOLVED): Search for TV can be misleading
« on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:23 pm »

When entering a search for TV (Which works fine). It can be confusing for 2 reasons:
21.0.36:
1. if you click on a channel that doesn't have the show in the search box it will tell you to double click to set a tv guide (which is already setup correctly)

2. It also can be confusing if you don't clear it and click on other recording options. It's a bit scary as non of your recording options without the names in the search don't show up.

For TV, maybe an option to clear the search as you click on either a channel or recording option could be handy..

Not sure what to do here maybe the behavior is OK but you should definitely get rid of the setup message popping up..

CountryBumkin

Re: Search for TV can be misleading
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:54 am »

I had to do some experimenting to see what you are talking about. Now I see the issue.

When you are in Standard View >Television and use the "Search" button in upper right, and type in a few letters, you get search results from all channels as long as you are on the "All Channels" view.

But if you are on a "single channel view" and the show your searching for is not on the single channel you get the "Double-click here to setup a program guide" message. If the show is on the channel your on, it will find it.

It does seem like a bug. The message should say "Program not found on Channel XX" or the search engine should just search all channels regardless of what is selected in the Channels window.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:17 am »

This will be fixed in an upcoming build.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:34 am »

Thx Country bumkin for clarifying and Yaobing for fixing :) !!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:19:29 am »

You are welcome.

Just a little clarification on CountryBumkin's clarification.

Search will be performed on a single channel or on all channels depending on your selection of channels.  There is nothing wrong with that.  You can search on all channels, or narrow it down on one channel.

The search may come up empty in either case, depending on what phrase you search for, and what programs are available.  It is just a matter of not assuming the user has not set up guide when the list of programs is empty, due to no match in the search.  So, what I did in trying to fix this situation was to distinguish the cases when the program list is empty due to empty search result, or due to never having set up the guide.  If it is the former, the message is now "Search did not find any matching programs".  If it is the latter, the message is still "Double-click here...".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 06:28:07 pm »

LIKE.  :D

Fixing the little things like this makes the software so much easier for newbies to understand, and saves old hands from explaining what is going on. It also makes me feel better about the software.  8)

Thanks Yaobing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team
(SOLVED): Search for TV can be misleading
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 11:45:14 am »

1. Changed: When a search for television programs in Standard view does not find any programs, the text message in the Programs window is changed to "Search did not find any matching programs" instead of "Double-click here to set up a program guide."  Double-clicking will do nothing.
3. NEW: ">>" and "<<" keys on remote control shift Theater View television guide to the right (left) 24 hours.

Thx for modifying #1 and you read my mind for #3! This is a GREAT feature that I found really useful with Sage.

(Notice I used the past tense refering to Sage! ;)

Thx Yaobbing great work!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: (SOLVED): Search for TV can be misleading
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:43 pm »

(Notice I used the past tense refering to Sage! ;)
Good to hear we're getting somewhere.  Thanks for your patience.  Thanks to Yaobing for the changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up