INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solid State Amps, Tube Amps, and Hybrids  (Read 3753 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
Solid State Amps, Tube Amps, and Hybrids
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:18:01 pm »

Is there a way to listen to Schiit headphone amps in the Seattle area? I am part of the Seattle CAN Meet's but the next meet is not till ~March. I'm looking at the Asgard2, Valhalla 2, Lyr2, and the MusicHall ph 25.2 My price range is $250-$500.

I have a pair of Grado 325e's used for audiophile listening only and are a low 32ohm impedance can. I'm also purchasing a pair of AudioTechnica ATH M50-X that I will be using for input monitoring while recording (not for mixing!) and when I am on-the-go or out in public and need closed-back.

Based on my equipment and intended use, I would appreciate any explanations and/or recommendations from the JRiver community about the relevant things I should know in order to make an informed decision, specifically explaining what solid-state, tube, and hybrid headphones are, their pro's and con's, and anything else of significance.

I also have a pair of HS7 studio monitors (no, I will not be using the preamps - coloration, etc.) but if anyone has a good recommendation on stands please feel free. Currently my monitors are sitting too low. I did some measuring and I need stands that are 46" tall. Not looking to go crazy on price, probably just something from Guitar Center unless someone knows of something better for $200 or less on Amazon.

I am trying to learn as much as possible in the short amount of time I have so thank you to all who contribute!

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Solid State Amps, Tube Amps, and Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:35 am »

It's difficult to get auditions for some gear if there aren't local dealers.

The lower cost hybrid amps are going to be about getting some tube coloration in the sound and the thicker style of tube sound. The more expensive hybrids can (if designed well) get the good transparent sound from tubes. The lower cost amps though are about the thicker tube coloration style of sound.

In general I like hybrid amps with Grados. The hybrids take some of the bite out of the Grado sound and make the Grados sound more pleasing to listen to. Some solid state amps are also able to do that to a degree. Depends on the amp.

If you're going from studio work style listening and concerned about too much coloration then I'd go for the solid state Asgard 2 to try to get a cleaner style of sound than the hybrids you'd be looking at.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Solid State Amps, Tube Amps, and Hybrids
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »

if you want transparency, there is zero point to using tubes as a very cheap SS amp will be at least as transparent as a much costlier tube or hybrid setup.  if you want tube sound, go with a tube or hybrid.  watch out for OTL as they sometimes don't play well with low ohm headphones

grados sound beautiful with the little dot mkiii, that much i can say. 

personally, i think the asgard is a waste of $ for a pair of 325's (magni is much more cost effective), but it's your $ so enjoy it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up