INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id reverts to default settings when power is unplugged  (Read 10162 times)

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
Id reverts to default settings when power is unplugged
« on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:08 pm »

Hi everyone. Has anyone seen this behavior? My Id reverts to default audio settings for zone "player" when the power is unplugged.

The default settings for zone "player" are all set to 48kHz sampling except for 44.1 material in the DSP studio.

Basically, if I unplug the Id and move it away from the monitor I can't listen to any hires files without the Id down sampling to 48kHz. Oddly the bitstream setting sticks and DSD64 and DSD128 play with no problem. But try and play 88.2, 96, 192 pcm, etc I'm out of luck if I unplug the thing.

Any ideas? Makes it kind of hard to use this thing as a portable player without using a monitor to change the "player" audio zone settings every time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id reverts to default settings when power is unplugged
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:09:27 am »

Please try updating the Id from the text menu.

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:26:57 am »

Tried that. No luck. Also whenever I go back and forth b/w GUI and headless mode I lose my player zone settings. Oddly after reboot, after doing the update again the settings stick. But when I power down the ID, then unplug it and move to the stereo the settings are lost. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »

Tried that. No luck. Also whenever I go back and forth b/w GUI and headless mode I lose my player zone settings. Oddly after reboot, after doing the update again the settings stick. But when I power down the ID, then unplug it and move to the stereo the settings are lost. 
Are you removing an USB audio device in this sequence at any point?

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:50 pm »

Yes. Indeed I am unplugging an external HD. I will try it again without unplugging the drive.

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:49:41 pm »

OK. Excellent. So that worked. Thanks so much.
Now is there anyway to get it to remember settings and be able to unplug the external drive? That would help make this thing truly portable.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 10:29:25 am »

OK. Excellent. So that worked. Thanks so much.
Now is there anyway to get it to remember settings and be able to unplug the external drive? That would help make this thing truly portable.
Are you storing the library on the external drive?

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »

OK. So I just tried it both ways. Creating/storing a library on both the internal drive and the external drive. If I have the external drive library loaded and active with all setting set to what I want then when I unplug the ID and the USB drive, move the ID and then plug everything back in - all settings revert to default. In particular what troubles me is I can't get the DSP studio settings to stick. However if I don't unplug the USB drive then when I start up the ID again the settings stick (I have only tried this with the internal drive library loaded). Is it supposed to remember settings if the library is stored on the external drive? I thought its better to use the internal SSD to store the library file.....
Maybe I'm need to completely delete and clear the internal drive library?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »

OK. So I just tried it both ways. Creating/storing a library on both the internal drive and the external drive. If I have the external drive library loaded and active with all setting set to what I want then when I unplug the ID and the USB drive, move the ID and then plug everything back in - all settings revert to default. In particular what troubles me is I can't get the DSP studio settings to stick. However if I don't unplug the USB drive then when I start up the ID again the settings stick (I have only tried this with the internal drive library loaded). Is it supposed to remember settings if the library is stored on the external drive? I thought its better to use the internal SSD to store the library file.....
Maybe I'm need to completely delete and clear the internal drive library?
I would only expect the settings to revert if the library was ON the external drive.
With the library stored on the internal drive and the media files on the external drive, It's hard for me to see why the settings should revert.
Is it just the player zone that's changing or all of the settings?

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:38:31 pm »

It seems only the player zone is reverting to default settings. When streaming from the ID to another device I'm having no problems. I'm going to delete all the library files and start from scratch creating a new Main library on the internal drive and see if that fixes anything.

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:31:50 am »

OK. So I just finished deleting my old library on both the internal drive and the new one on the external drive. I then made a new Main Library with all files saved to default location in internal drive. Saved all my settings. Powered down, unplugged the ID and the USB drive. Then plug into my dac and ......player zone settings are back to default!! All hi res files get down sampled to 48k. UG!! This is getting frustrating.
Is there a hard ware problem with my ID?
Is anyone out there able to reproduce this problem?

I guess my next step is to do a "reset" to HDMI default which should also delete the library....and try again. I'm not confident this will work.

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »

So just completed the factory reset to default settings. I then rebuilt the Main Library with files saved to default "home" internal drive folder. Still same problem. If I unplug the USB drive when the ID is powered down it will then restart with my player zone settings gone. Oddly it reverts to player zone settings that are not even part of the factory default.
However if when I power down the ID and unplug it, without unplugging the USB drive it will remember my player zone settings.

So users out there beware - if you move your ID around or use it as a portable source you won't be able to play hi res files (without down sampling) without first manually setting player zone DSP studio settings. Unless of course you never unplug your USB drive

Maybe this can be fixed with a firmware update...

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »

I have had no luck in reproducing this problem so far. I was hoping you might be able to provide me with some more information. I know you already described the situation a few times, but could you give me a step-by-step description of how you can reproduce this? It sounds like you're moving the Id between a computer setup and a separate audio setup. Can you describe the hardware and output chain for each setup? Is it just the output sample rates that are reverting to the default? What is the NUC model number of the Id?

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »

Hi. Thanks for helping.

So I've been playing around with this a bit more. I discovered the following:
With the Id connect to USB DAC-
I can power down the Id, unplug the power adapter and USB drive (leaving the dac plugged in) - then plug everything back in, and turn on the Id. Player zone settings remain unchanged. JRemote shows default PCH card.

However if I have a HDMI cable plugged in for the GUI interface then if I power down the Id, unplug the power adapter and USB drive, move to my DAC and then plug everything in again including USB for the DAC - player zone settings are lost and revert to 48 down sample for anything above 48k. JRemote has no output selected and I have to manually set to default PCH card.

So it seems something is going on when the Id is connected via HDMI and its unplugged from the power adapter.

NUC model DN2820FYK

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »

Hi. Thanks for helping.

So I've been playing around with this a bit more. I discovered the following:
With the Id connect to USB DAC-
I can power down the Id, unplug the power adapter and USB drive (leaving the dac plugged in) - then plug everything back in, and turn on the Id. Player zone settings remain unchanged. JRemote shows default PCH card.

However if I have a HDMI cable plugged in for the GUI interface then if I power down the Id, unplug the power adapter and USB drive, move to my DAC and then plug everything in again including USB for the DAC - player zone settings are lost and revert to 48 down sample for anything above 48k. JRemote has no output selected and I have to manually set to default PCH card.

So it seems something is going on when the Id is connected via HDMI and its unplugged from the power adapter.

NUC model DN2820FYK

If the Id tries to play a sample rate that a device doesn't support by default it will change the sample rate settings.
Perhaps when you are moving from one audio system to another this happens.
Set Tools->Options->Audio Advanced->Auto configure output settings on playback error to NO and see if the behavior changes.

SpaceAudio

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »

Thanks for your help. Your last suggestion did the trick. Everything is cool now.
It must have been recognizing my monitor as a playback device and kept changing the output settings.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up