INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to "snap to" or an auto of what is playing?  (Read 5664 times)

jmrdc

• World Citizen
Is there a way to "snap to" or an auto of what is playing?
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:28:06 pm »

When I have shuffle (auto or otherwise) playing, sometimes I would like to see what is playing currently, but I have to search for what is playing by scrolling. Do I have an incorrect setting somewhere?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way to "snap to" or an auto of what is playing?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:12 pm »

Depends on what you're after?

(I only know Windows MC)
You can have any information you want relating to the currently playing track in the player display bar right there at the top of the program.
I'm not sure about yours, but my "Playing Now" list tracks the currently playing track, moving the selection to the next track when it starts, and auto scrolling the list if required.
You can also right click on the player display bar, and choosing "Tag" will open the tag window, displaying tag details for the currently playing track. Watch this one though, as I'm almost certain that when the track changes, the information in the tag window switches to the currently playing track, and you don't really want to be mid-edit when that happens.

I think the auto-tracking in the playing now list stops if you manually select a different track in the list.

Let us know if you're looking for something else. Perhaps using Theater View? The "i" information button on the remote always does it for me...

-marko

kurushi

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:12 am »

Menu=>playing now=>show playing now
is what you looking for ;)

Or press Alt+2 (on the numpad on mac)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:15:35 am »

Kurushi has a good answer.  I'll add:

1.  You can also just click Playing Now in the left navigation area and it will "jump scroll" to the currently playing track.
2.  I have a custom key mapped (command-N) to do this, as the default made zero sense to me.  Also I've remapped all of the alt-<number> to rate songs with ratings of 0 (clear) through 5 stars.

I use my hot key constantly, as messing around with Playing Now always seems to have the currently playing song scrolled off screen somewhere.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 08:52:44 am »

Not 100% you can do this in the MAC version, but I add the playing now Icon to my menu bars. Seems like Mac enthousiasts prefer key strokes to mice, but I can do that on my kneecap lounging on my sofa.

This needs to be worked on a bit in Theater Mode though (oops MAC version doesn't have theater view)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:15:13 am »

Not 100% you can do this in the MAC version, but I add the playing now Icon to my menu bars.

Sure, you can "customize toolbar" on the Mac version of MC and add Playing Now or whatever you want.  But why would you in this case? The main Playing Now is like 1 inch away, even on a big screen.  Maybe you like to hide the left navigation area?  That would explain the need.

Seems like Mac enthousiasts prefer key strokes to mice, but I can do that on my kneecap lounging on my sofa.

This needs to be worked on a bit in Theater Mode though (oops MAC version doesn't have theater view)

I like hot keys, but I'm not a typical Mac user.  Why all the bagging on the Mac?

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:02:31 am »

Sure, you can "customize toolbar" on the Mac version of MC and add Playing Now or whatever you want.  But why would you in this case? The main Playing Now is like 1 inch away, even on a big screen.  Maybe you like to hide the left navigation area?  That would explain the need.

I like hot keys, but I'm not a typical Mac user.  Why all the bagging on the Mac?

Brian.
Not picking on MAC (euh well yes I just did for iTunes but thats different :D I just HATE itunes and apples almost monopoly of IOS devices). I just have found that keyboard combos seem to be popular (apple key+this alt+that). Spent my holidays in an all Mac household with mice that didn't have right click buttons  ;D I almost went crazy  ;D (missed my 7 button gaming mouse).

As for the icon, yes that's it precisely, Brian!

I always hide the Tree (most things are either under favorites on the menu bar, jumps using the "magic arrows", are drilled down category type views or IR shortcuts) so I want all that screen real estate (and it looks better IMO). I'm surprised that people are as Tree dependant as they are actually  -- for me its for admin mostly and I do that on a client work station. Matt even added a Tree toggle Icon recently, which I use all the time.

OT - I admit for my main playback machine, however, I'm normally under theater mode or headless using JRemote, and use Standard mode only for more advanced searching or zapping between different criteria using Pane type views.  Size become important from 10 feet away

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:08:51 pm »

I just have found that keyboard combos seem to be popular (apple key+this alt+that). Spent my holidays in an all Mac household with mice that didn't have right click buttons  

Keyboard shortcuts win the race for anything that requires more than one click, or for repetitive clicks.  Keyboard shortcuts are super powerful and better than a mouse in many, many cases.  Not all, but many.

All modern Mac mice detect right click by finger position.  Click on the right side of the mouse and it's a right click.  For those that don't, <control>-click is the same as right click.  Mac track pads detect right click as "two fingers down, plus click".

Third party mice work on Macs perfectly fine; though something with 7 buttons (which is pretty crazy for everyday use) would need a driver or control panel add in probably.  My Logitech wireless 2 button mouse works great, including the scroll wheel.

I always hide the Tree (most things are either under favorites on the menu bar, jumps using the "magic arrows", are drilled down category type views or IR shortcuts) so I want all that screen real estate (and it looks better IMO).

Interesting.  I'd have to see it in action to see if it would be worth it.  Certainly having more screen real estate is nice.

Brian.

kurushi

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »

Off topic but where you can customize hotkeys for MC ?

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:49 pm »

^ You have to manually edit the Resource.xml file located at:

~/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 21/Data/Custom Resources/Resource.xml

The syntax of the file is explained, somewhat, in the file itself.  The wiki has a little more information:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

Here's a post with some of my keyboard shortcuts.  I've added a few since that post, but it's still a good place to start:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=98402.0

Brian.

kurushi

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:51:29 pm »

Thank you for the answer i remember the method now.
But it would be great to have the ability to change them in the option dialog like many software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up