INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide logos  (Read 6383 times)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Guide logos
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:31:20 am »

Yaobing

Loving the implementation of guide logos. Just one tiny little ask. Could you modify so on a library reinstall it remembers where the guide logos are kept.
I reinstalled windows a week or so ago and restored my library as normal and everything was back apart from guide logos. I had to manually point back to where all the logos were stored which took ages

;o)

Thanks

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Guide logos
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:49:59 am »

Very good point!
I'm hesitating to do this as it will take a while to do tons of channels...Definitely like this new feature though (along with the color coding for shows in the guide....) I'm starting to really like my JRiver TV experience!!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 07:54:04 am »

TV channels are database entries just like your audio and video file entries in the database.  TV logos are just the coverarts.  I would think they should be saved with your library backup and restoration should not lose them.  Are you sure you backed up your current library before reinstalling Windows?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:23:02 am »

yes definatley. It didnt restore the images i had to repoint all of them back to the folder they were stored.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 10:27:27 am »

yes definatley. It didnt restore the images i had to repoint all of them back to the folder they were stored.

Are the the image files still located exactly the same location(s) as before?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:02:57 pm »

Yes they were stored in the pictures folder local drive...

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 01:29:52 pm »

Not to hijack the thread, but...

I'm having logo transparency issues over the last 2-3 releases (I think 21.0.27 was the only version since the logos were implemented that respected transparencies properly for me). 

Is anyone else experiencing this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »

Yes they were stored in the pictures folder local drive...

I don't know if it would fix the problem, but I suspect it might, if you stored the image under the default Cover Art directory, as per below.

When I added the Logos using the Cover Art "Add from file" functionality. They were originally stored in a separate location, but when I selected the file, MC asked if I wanted to save a copy in my default Cover Art location, as set in Options. I clicked yes for all the Cover Art. MC then created a sub-directory of the Cover Art directory, and called it "Files".

So my Logos are now stored on the Server in the directory;
C:\Users\htpc\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Files\

It also renamed the files to match the Database Key of the TV Channel. So an example logo file for my Channel "1 ONE", with a Database Key of 403925 is;
C:\Users\htpc\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Cover Art\Files\403925.jpg

My default Cover Art directory on the Server was only used for Series and Season Cover Art, as for Audio I use the setting of "In the same folder as the file", and I also have ticked the setting "Also store image in the file's tag". Now the Cover Art directory is also used for Channel Logos.

I suspect if you did the same, the logos would have re-appeared in MC.

I also suspect that if you moved the Channel Logo files to the equivalent of the above location, renamed them as above, then selected the channel in a Smartlist that lists the channels, and ran "Right Click\Cover Art\Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory", that all you Logos would re-appear in MC. Try it with one channel, and if it works, you can re-add all the Logos at once by selecting all channels and running that command. That may be easier than going through each channel one at a time and re-adding the Logo Cover Art, and if anything happens like this in the future, all Channel Logos can be re-added with one command.

PS: I know if the "Image File" tag points to the correct file, and the file exists in that location, it should just work anyway. But I have found that when using that method I sometimes have to "activate" the setting by clicking on a TV Show, Movie, or Series Name. By naming the Cover Art (Logo) file the same as the file it belongs to (Channel Database Key), and putting it under the default Cover Art location, MC just seems to show the image automatically, without the need for a "refresh". I assume it would do this after a Windows reinstall, if everything was put back where it belonged.

I'm having logo transparency issues over the last 2-3 releases (I think 21.0.27 was the only version since the logos were implemented that respected transparencies properly for me).  

I don't think any release I have had Logos in has respected transparency in the Logo background.
EDIT: Actually, that is because all my logos are JPEGs, and that format doesn't support transparency. Even if I add a PNG logo, then allow MC to move it to the Cover Art directory, MC converts the file to a JPEG. If I don't allow MC to move the file to the Cover Art directory, then MC uses the PNG file, but in both the Smartlist and the Guide, MC displays a checkerboard background rather than transparency, much like Photoshop displays a checkerboard background when editing a PNG with transparency. A GIF works the same way.

If I open a PNG or GIF with transparent background in MC21, for full screen display of the image, then the transparency is correctly displayed.

This is an area that could be improved. Both by not converting PNG files to JPEG when used for Cover Art, and in having MC correctly show transparency in Cover Art.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 12:19:26 am »

I will try that thanks very much for the advice.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:58:04 am »

I don't think any release I have had Logos in has respected transparency in the Logo background.
EDIT: Actually, that is because all my logos are JPEGs, and that format doesn't support transparency. Even if I add a PNG logo, then allow MC to move it to the Cover Art directory, MC converts the file to a JPEG. If I don't allow MC to move the file to the Cover Art directory, then MC uses the PNG file, but in both the Smartlist and the Guide, MC displays a checkerboard background rather than transparency, much like Photoshop displays a checkerboard background when editing a PNG with transparency. A GIF works the same way.

If I open a PNG or GIF with transparent background in MC21, for full screen display of the image, then the transparency is correctly displayed.

This is an area that could be improved. Both by not converting PNG files to JPEG when used for Cover Art, and in having MC correctly show transparency in Cover Art.

Thanks for taking a look. 

Out of curiosity, I checked version .27 and it does indeed respect transparencies correctly.  I've never seen it mentioned in any of the changelogs so I don't know what happened with .27 compared with all the others.

And just as an FYI, I have been testing with the logos from the My Channel Logos app for WMC.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:19:21 pm »

Not to hijack the thread, but...

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, black png transparencies in 21.0.39.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:58 pm »

Same here. Happy to see others posting this as it looked better a few versions back

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 02:08:03 am »

Yes, black png transparencies in 21.0.39.

Are you sure the file saved under the Cover Art directory is still a PNG? MC converts them to JPGs under the above conditions.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »

Regarding transparency, yes the early builds allowed transparency.  Due to the issue of not being able to load logos on clients, I changed it so thumbnail tools are used to load images.  As a result, transparency was lost since our thumbnail tool only uses jpeg files and thus does not support transparency.

Until I find a way of loading images across the network without using the thumbnail tool, the situation will not change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up