INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15K FLAC?  (Read 4133 times)

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
15K FLAC?
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

I was perusing the old interweb today when I ran across a live concert available for purchase in 15K FLAC. There are other live concerts available for digital download in 16K and 24K FLAC, obviously a misunderstood attempt to refer to the bit-depth format of the audio recording. I've purchased a few of these live releases and JRiver's awesome audio analysis did indeed confirm that the "16K" and "24K" was meant to refer to bit-depth. Of course, the "K", meaning 1000, is bogus. Wouldn't that be cool if it wasn't! I know there are a few 20-bit recordings floating around, but I've never heard of 15-bit as a format, and certainly not 15K.

15-bit doesn't meet the criterion for CD-DA Redbook standards. The culprit in this mess is whoever is running Dave Matthews Band online store. Here is one of the pages with the 15K FLAC: http://davematthewsband.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=1_5575_8858&pc=DMDD132

I e-mailed support and of course, they were uselessly unhelpful. Their canned responsed:

Subject
15K FLAC?

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Customer Service)   01/12/2016 09:54 PM
Hello Robert,

Thank you for choosing Delivery Agent. We apologize for our delayed response to your inquiry. Due to high demand for some of our new merchandise, we have experienced a high volume of e-mails in the past couple of weeks and we strive to respond to all e-mails individually.

The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)
Answer Link: File Formats for Digital Downloads
Answer Link: FLAC Download Help
Answer Link: Digital AUDIO Downloads and iTunes

However, if your concerns are still outstanding, we can't help you because we don't have a clue about anything we're doing blah blah blah...

Sincerely,

Bert Corbin
Customer Service

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to pass this anomaly through the all-powerful mind we know as The JRiver and see what comes out!

Best,

Robert

fooze

• Junior Woodchuck
  • TURN IT UP
Re: 15K FLAC?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:45:10 pm »

It's actually the sample rate

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:37:48 am »

Lol.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

It's actually the sample rate

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:58:03 am »

I'm sure its just a typo but, your question is legit in my book. Personally I've never heard of a sample rate of 15k??

redbook is 16bit bitdepth with a 44.1K sample rate. Digital downloads in Flac would be at least 44.1K or higher. The bit "rate" is variable but would be under 1440, so 15k is confusing IMO. JRiver can tell you what bit depth and sample rate your download actually is. Check it if you want to be sure (allow the fields in the tag window to show, if you don't have a view that shows that info.

robertisonline

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:16:57 pm »

JRiver's audio analysis confirmed that the "16K FLAC" and "24K FLAC" coincided with the bit-depth. The "15K FLAC" was also 16-bit. Obviously a typographical error on DMB's online shop. I'll e-mail them again and maybe they'll get it right. I just don't want to get anybody reprimanded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up