INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to JRiver  (Read 2883 times)

fperra

• Recent member
New to JRiver
« on: January 26, 2016, 12:31:59 am »

I've been using itunes for the last couple of years but after reading all the good reviews for JR I decided to give it a try today. After downloading the free trial version I ripped a Paul Simon CD (Graceland) to check it out. To my surprise, no information about the CD was displayed. No artwork, no singer info and no name of songs, just track 1, track 2, etc. What did I do wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New to JRiver
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:23:04 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Try a few more.  If it isn't working, it's possible that "security" software on your machine is preventing MC from doing an Internet lookup.

fperra

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:20 pm »

OK, I tried a few more with the same results. With iTunes, it had no problem pulling up the information. When I try to rip them with JR it says that there is no tag information.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:23 pm »

When I have Media Center open and put a CD in a drive, I have a window that pops up with the info that has been found in the online database. If you are not seeing this window, you should check your firewall (Windows Firewall, etc.) to confirm that Media Center appears in the list of permitted applications. Assuming that you are on Windows 10 and using Windows Firewall, I go to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps to see the list. I believe that the Media Center install asks if you want to allow it to create an exception in Windows Firewall but you can manually add it from Control Panel. Once you have done so, I would close Media Center, remove the CD, reopen Media Center then put the CD back. It should then access the online database (at least it does for me).

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:58:47 am »

really fishing here but have you double checked your ripper config in the Options. Are the auto rip options unchecked. If you have multiple drives that can rip, each drive has a separate configuration, if memory serves.

fperra

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:12:45 pm »

When I have Media Center open and put a CD in a drive, I have a window that pops up with the info that has been found in the online database. If you are not seeing this window, you should check your firewall (Windows Firewall, etc.) to confirm that Media Center appears in the list of permitted applications. Assuming that you are on Windows 10 and using Windows Firewall, I go to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps to see the list. I believe that the Media Center install asks if you want to allow it to create an exception in Windows Firewall but you can manually add it from Control Panel. Once you have done so, I would close Media Center, remove the CD, reopen Media Center then put the CD back. It should then access the online database (at least it does for me).

Media Center is allowed in the firewall so that's not the problem. When I put a CD in the player a message box comes up that says no tag information found. I've uninstalled JR a number of times and re-installed, always with the same results. Is there somewhere in the tools menu that directs the program as to which internet search engine to use. The two options I have are Google chrome and microsoft edge.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:33 pm »

The firewall isn't set correctly.  That's the most likely cause.  The CD lookup works.

fperra

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:31:17 pm »

I just turned off the firewall and still the same results. I'll load JR MC21 on my laptop and see if I get the same results.

fperra

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »

Loaded JR om my laptop and ripping pulls in all the track information. I wish I could get it to work on my desktop.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:17:47 pm »

Something on your desktop is blocking Media Center that isn't on your laptop. I'd compare software and settings between the two to try to eliminate differences.
Pages: [1]   Go Up