INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New JRiver MC user - TV Questions  (Read 7155 times)

Ark :D

• Recent member
New JRiver MC user - TV Questions
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:08:28 am »

Hello JRiver,

I'm a new JRiver Media Center user (on trial at the moment), and I believe your program will suit all my (stringent) needs well.  First a bit of backstory, then a few question, if I could please!  I apologize in advance, I'm a pretty wordy person, so sorry about that.

Ages ago, my household converted one of our TV's from a set-top box to Windows Media Center.  Eventually CableCard tuners were released, so we completed the conversion away from set-top boxes and went with Ceton Echo extenders on two TV's plus a main HTPC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe on our living room TV.  This worked great for a couple of years but obviously, Windows Media Center is going away and the Ceton Echo extenders are useless unless you run Windows 7 on your WMC box forever.

The guide data is also getting spotty it seems.  For my TV-addicted wife and daughter, it simply won't do anymore.  So, another conversion has begun ... I've built a new HTPC/media server for the living room TV, and I've replaced the Ceton Echo extenders with low-power slim HTPC's on the bedroom and basement/workout room.  All of them run Windows 10 and are wired to a 1 gbps ethernet network.

So I am now at the point where I need to find the ideal PVR backend and nice GUI frontend to make all this work.  I started out with NextPVR as the backend and Kodi as the frontend, but it has a strange quirk where, if the channel is changed on one instance of Kodi, sometimes it changes on a different instance (in other words, I was watching playoff football while my wife was watching a movie on Hallmark ... she changed the channel when a commercial came on, and suddenly I wasn't watching football anymore even though my instance of Kodi thought it was still tuned in to the game, and similarly, her instance of Kodi thought the channel had changed but the commercial she tried to change from was still playing).  That's neither here nor there, because she does not like Kodi's guide anyway.

So now I turn my attention to MediaPortal 2 and JRiver Media Center.  Obviously free is good, but I figured I'd give JRiver Media Center a try first.  I've got it installed and working, and I really like it so far.  My wife really likes the guide, so that's a strong plus in getting me to purchase the app.  The setup was also very easy, but a few issues remain.

1)  Color-coding of the guide - a total necessity in my humble opinion, but it seems only the Obsidian skin provides this color-coding.  Am I mistaken on that, and if not, will the other skins eventually support a color-coded guide?

2)  Guide and repeats - I might be missing it, but is there a way to add original air date when looking at a repeat show in the guide?

3)  Guide data - as I understand it, JRiver MC pulls guide data, by default, from Microsoft's "Rovi" service.  None of the competing softwares seem to be able to do this.  Do you have an agreement in place that allows you to pull guide data in this manner?  Just a curiosity thing, really.

4)  MCE remote issues ... all three TV's in my house have always been controlled by MCE remotes.  But I am finding with JRiver MC, they barely work right at all.  The back button generally does what one would expect, and the numbers work correctly, but hardly anything else does.  I got around this for the most part by going into Tools -> Options -> Remote, where I went into Devices and unchecked the MCE remote option.  Then I ran through with the second option checked and "taught" JRiver MC what buttons to use on the remote.  This seems to work ok, though I still can't skip 24 hours ahead in the guide with only a quick button press.  Any thoughts?

5)  WebGizmo - I haven't done much with this, as I ran out of time yesterday before getting much done with it, but I can't seem to access my main HTPC via web browser anywhere but on the HTPC itself, using the loopback address.  This suggests a firewall issue (either on the HTPC's software firewall or on my router), but I don't believe that's the case.  I've added the Media Center executable to the Windows 10 software firewall, both public and private networks, and I've set up port forwarding on my router.  I've done it a million times before, for an FTP server on my network, to run game servers at home, and so on and so forth, so I know what I'm doing there.  Again, I haven't given this much work because I was out of time, so I'll look at it further tonight.

6)  Your iOS/Android JRemote app costs $9.99?  That kind of stinks.

That's about it.  All in all so far, I really like JRiverMC and I hope to get my issues sorted.  Thank you!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: New JRiver MC user - TV Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:31:48 pm »

So now I turn my attention to MediaPortal 2 and JRiver Media Center.  Obviously free is good, but I figured I'd give JRiver Media Center a try first.  I've got it installed and working, and I really like it so far.  My wife really likes the guide, so that's a strong plus in getting me to purchase the app.  The setup was also very easy, but a few issues remain.

1)  Color-coding of the guide - a total necessity in my humble opinion, but it seems only the Obsidian skin provides this color-coding.  Am I mistaken on that, and if not, will the other skins eventually support a color-coded guide?

That problem has been fixed.  I think you are using the version on our download page.  We have newer builds available.  Please get the latest from "JRiver Media Center 21 for Windows" board.  The latest build is found at/near the top of the board, titled "Media Center 21.0.xx for Windows -- Available here".

2)  Guide and repeats - I might be missing it, but is there a way to add original air date when looking at a repeat show in the guide?

Currently we do not save this date in our database.  However, we do save the flag "Rerun" if the original air date is older than the date the program is scheduled on.  When you setup a recording rule to subscribe to a series, you can use the option "Don't record reruns".

3)  Guide data - as I understand it, JRiver MC pulls guide data, by default, from Microsoft's "Rovi" service.  None of the competing softwares seem to be able to do this.  Do you have an agreement in place that allows you to pull guide data in this manner?  Just a curiosity thing, really.

We use mc2xml, and get whatever data it can get.

4)  MCE remote issues ... all three TV's in my house have always been controlled by MCE remotes.  But I am finding with JRiver MC, they barely work right at all.  The back button generally does what one would expect, and the numbers work correctly, but hardly anything else does.  I got around this for the most part by going into Tools -> Options -> Remote, where I went into Devices and unchecked the MCE remote option.  Then I ran through with the second option checked and "taught" JRiver MC what buttons to use on the remote.  This seems to work ok, though I still can't skip 24 hours ahead in the guide with only a quick button press.  Any thoughts?

Some options are setup differently from WMC so there are some getting-used to do.  Shifting guide for 24 hours a time has been added.  Please download the latest.

5)  WebGizmo - I haven't done much with this, as I ran out of time yesterday before getting much done with it, but I can't seem to access my main HTPC via web browser anywhere but on the HTPC itself, using the loopback address.  This suggests a firewall issue (either on the HTPC's software firewall or on my router), but I don't believe that's the case.  I've added the Media Center executable to the Windows 10 software firewall, both public and private networks, and I've set up port forwarding on my router.  I've done it a million times before, for an FTP server on my network, to run game servers at home, and so on and so forth, so I know what I'm doing there.  Again, I haven't given this much work because I was out of time, so I'll look at it further tonight.

I am not able to answer this.  Hope someone else can chime in.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »

Thank you sir, I appreciate your answers!

I did not realize there were more recent builds than what is on your downloads page ... which is definitely the one I am using.  Do you happen to know off the top of your head, which version is on your downloads page?  No big deal, I can check what version it is when I get home.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »

Download page has 21.0.23.  We are at 21.0.37 now.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:36:30 pm »

I am not able to answer this.  Hope someone else can chime in.

I wrote a big response, but it has disappeared! I hope I didn't fail to press the "Post" button...

Anyway, main point, WebGizmo seems not to be working using any of the start methods in the Wiki Article. It is broken.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:10:41 am »

Thanks for all the help guys.  I did not get a chance to install the latest JMC pack last night due to a sick daughter, but I'm hoping to get it done tonight.

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »

Downloaded the latest and I am pretty impressed so far.

WebGizmo not working is a pretty big item for me though;  any thoughts?

Thank you again!

*edit*  I just tried WebGizmo from my main PC (not the JMC box).  I noticed when I plugged in my 6-character access key, it resolved to the wrong internal IP.  My JMC server is 192.168.0.99, but the access code resolved to 192.168.200.2.  It also works fine from outside my internal network also.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:42:18 pm »

Try rebooting your MC Server and restarting MC. That should update the IP address associated with your Access Key, so it should work internally.

But, it didn't work for me yesterday either... but I was mucking around using a VPN on the Server, so that may have been the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 09:07:52 am »

I'll try rebooting the media server tonight, but I have to add that the internal IP of the server has not changed since installing JMC.  It's always been 192.168.0.99.

Just tried WebGizmo from work, and it's working fine for me here.

Question though ... this just popped into mind ... should there not be some kind of authentication set up for WebGizmo?  As it stands now, I can just point any web browser to my external IP, and assuming I use the correct URL, can gain access to my media server without any kind of username and password.

Oh!  And one humble suggestion for the guide:  currently, if you open up the guide and key in a number for a channel that doesn't exist, nothing happens.  I'd like it to go to the next-closest channel.  For example, with my provider, 800 does not exist, but 802 does.  If I key in "800" on the remote, the guide does nothing, whereas I would like to see it go to 802, the closest existing channel.  Just a thought!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:17:06 am »

Oh!  And one humble suggestion for the guide:  currently, if you open up the guide and key in a number for a channel that doesn't exist, nothing happens.  I'd like it to go to the next-closest channel.  For example, with my provider, 800 does not exist, but 802 does.  If I key in "800" on the remote, the guide does nothing, whereas I would like to see it go to 802, the closest existing channel.  Just a thought!

Good idea!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 02:30:03 pm »

Question though ... this just popped into mind ... should there not be some kind of authentication set up for WebGizmo?  As it stands now, I can just point any web browser to my external IP, and assuming I use the correct URL, can gain access to my media server without any kind of username and password.

That has been discussed a few times previously. I can't remember the answer just now. Search around the forum. Glynor has some specific thoughts on it recently.JimH has said previously that although others could get to the MC Server, they could get into your system from there. Research time for you.  :)

The idea of jumping to the closest channel is good.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »

My JMC server is 192.168.0.99, but the access code resolved to 192.168.200.2.  It also works fine from outside my internal network also.

I just figured out something.

You have Ceton tuners, right?

If you type 192.168.200.1 in a browser, do you get the Ceton configuration page?

That is what I get.  Ceton seems to create a separate network on the machine where it is installed.  So technically you have two IP addresses.

Try this:

Enter the following in a browser:

Code: [Select]
http://wr.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup/xxxxxx
where xxxxxx is your Media Network access key.

You should get something like this:

<Response Status="OK">
<keyid>xxxxxx</keyid>
<ip>nn.nn.nn.nn</ip>                        <------------ this would be your external IP address
<port>52199</port>
<localiplist>192.168.200.2,192.168.xxx.xx</localiplist>  <---------------------- two internal ip addresses here, the second one is your normal one
<macaddresslist>ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff,ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff</macaddresslist>  <------------- two mac addresses here.
</Response>

If you can confirm the above, then the solution is the following:

Tools > Options > Media Network, expand Advanced.  Click "Interfaces to ignore (list of network/bits):", and type 192.168.200.2.  Click OK.

Now if you run the browser test again, you should get only one ip listed.

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:54:31 am »

I'm sorry for only replying back to this now.  We had some unfortunate family events this past week that have kept our focus on other things ... but that being said, I got a chance to look at this again last night and Yaobing, your post was right on the money.  I do have a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe and your steps resolved the problem ("problem" being a strong word for it, since it went on to the correct IP within a few seconds anyway)...

Couple other quick things;  we've had a few JMC issues in the last week but I wasn't able to check the event log and see if anything was going on there.  In one instance, the media server's instance of JMC "stopped working" unexpectedly and a reboot of the machine solved it.  Another time, JMC crashed with an error "Error creating Direct3D device 0x8007000E".  Again, a reboot solved that one.  Just making mention of these issues now in case they happen again, I'd be very happy to help troubleshoot and possibly contribute to JMC that way.

One new suggestion!  My wife uses the media server PC and one satellite HTPC pretty interchangeably, and one thing she commented to me about is that JMC doesn't seem to consistently show her what is set up to record in the future.  She believes at this point in time (and this may be wrong), that the two instances of JMC do not seem to share information about pre-staged recordings;  meaning, if a show is set up to record on one instance of JMC, the other one does not display the "Record" dot.  If this is the case, it would be awesome in the future if they were able to share that information.

(Btw, I do love JMC and did purchase it recently, thank you!)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:52 am »

JMC doesn't seem to consistently show her what is set up to record in the future.  She believes at this point in time (and this may be wrong), that the two instances of JMC do not seem to share information about pre-staged recordings;  meaning, if a show is set up to record on one instance of JMC, the other one does not display the "Record" dot.  If this is the case, it would be awesome in the future if they were able to share that information.

(Btw, I do love JMC and did purchase it recently, thank you!)

If you are using multiple computers (Clients) and sharing the same library (the Server's library) then any scheduled recording will show on all machines (as the actual recording is happening on the Server. Unless the Ceton setup/use is somehow different). I currently get a "red dot" for one-time recordings, and an "orange dot" to show it is a subscription. The orange dot is a new feature so be sure to download the latest version (21.0.39) at the top of the forum. The red dot has always worked (for me).

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:07 am »

If you are using multiple computers (Clients) and sharing the same library (the Server's library) then any scheduled recording will show on all machines (as the actual recording is happening on the Server. Unless the Ceton setup/use is somehow different). I currently get a "red dot" for one-time recordings, and an "orange dot" to show it is a subscription. The orange dot is a new feature so be sure to download the latest version (21.0.39) at the top of the forum. The red dot has always worked (for me).

CountryBumkin, thank you for your pointers.  I thought all my machines were up to 21.0.39 now but it's possible I skipped the main server machine (it's been a hellish week and a half, two weeks).  I'll check that tonight and report back.

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »

Well, the server was on 21.0.37, and upping it to 21.0.39 resolved the issue with recordings not showing correctly in the guide, from across the network.

Thanks again for all your help folks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up