INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delayed sound using WDM driver [Solved]  (Read 7130 times)

pootler

• Recent member
Delayed sound using WDM driver [Solved]
« on: January 16, 2016, 05:53:26 pm »

Hi,

First things first.

JRiver is great at some things
Kodi is great at some things.
JRiver has Kodi beaten hands down for audio dsp and sound control.
For me ( and this my personal opinion), Kodi has much more appeal from a user friendly customisation.
Having said my bit, I am trying to use Kodi as my ''front end '', and then using the JRiver WDM driver to output my custom  JRiver dsp audio output.

This works really , really well, EXCEPT for an annoying quirk! - that is,  when I start a file using Kodi, the sound appears at my speakers, only after a wait of up to 7-8 secs?  :(

I just don't understand why this - would anybody have any pointers to help?

BTW my audio setup ( using linear phase EQ ) does introduce some latency, but nothing on this scale.  :-\

Many thanks

keith

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: KODI and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »

Check Options/Audio/Settings/Prebuffering. The recommended setting here is six seconds.

Add to that the WDM Driver, Kodi, Latency, DSP settings, and you could see 7-8 seconds.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pootler

• Recent member
Re: Delayed sound using WDM driver
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:19:39 am »

Thank you  roderic.

I  will check that out - sounds about right.

I might change pre-buffer to see what happens.

Cheers

keith

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:57:17 pm »

O.K,had a look,

Pre buffering settings make no difference to the delay

The strange thing is, I get no delay playing my FLAC music library from  Kodi

However any other feeds,  Live tv, Live radio, Movies,Youtube, and other misc video files, all have the long delay when played from Kodi?

Strange, these feeds ( with the exception of Live radio), all have video content  :-\

Anybody got any ideas- no matter how strange :)

thanks

keith

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:21:06 pm »

The main setting for latency when playing from the WDM is:
Options > Audio > Advanced > Live playback latency

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 03:33:28 pm »

Can't believe 50ms ( WDM latency ) is going to have much effect  :)

Selected 'minimum' anyway- but no change.

If its any hint, when I stop a stream ( audio or video ), after a few secs the speakers give a little 'pop', as if a driver or something has been released?

Then when I start something, after 7-8 secs right before the audio, I get the same little pop.

It is the same little 'pop' that i get when using JRiver EXCLUSIVELY on its own, and select to play something- although in this case the audio begins immediately.

Sorry I'm not much help

keith

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:07:57 pm »

Then when I start something, after 7-8 secs right before the audio, I get the same little pop.

It is the same little 'pop' that i get when using JRiver EXCLUSIVELY on its own, and select to play something- although in this case the audio begins immediately.

This would indicate to me that it is Kodi that is adding the delay. You hear the pop when MC starts to get audio to play, and the delay occurs before the pop, which is under the control of Kodi.

Well, at least that seems likely. Audio processing is complex stuff. But I would start to look at Kodi settings . . . or just use MC exclusively.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pootler

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 05:47:48 pm »

Time to do more digging

cheers

keith

stewart_pk

Delayed sound using WDM driver
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 07:43:27 pm »

Hi pootler, I'm not sure but I presume you're getting 7-8 seconds latency rather than the sound starting to be heard 7-8 seconds.

What do you have the Audio sample and bit rate set at in the WDM driver and JRiver?
I think I found the same thing happens as you if I up-sample in the WDM driver or in JRiver.
So I have the JRriver WDM driver at 24/48 to match pretty much all video and JRiver not doing any up-sampling at all and playing back video from KODI or PowerDVD to JRiver has very low latency.

Also I'm using the ASIO driver for my sound device as opposed to WASAPI as I found it was the only way to get acceptable latency.
But that was a while ago on windows 8.1 but I have since moved to Windows 10 which apparently has the lowest latency sound engine, although I am yet to test it.

pootler

• Recent member
Re: Delayed sound using WDM driver - SOLVED!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 06:15:44 pm »

Thanks stuart - et al

Well I played around with all the various audio drivers available to jriver and Kodi, and finally found a combination that WORKED!

I was using an AMD ( HDMI )discrete graphics card via hdmi.

JRiver had been set to use (WASAPI) hdmi driver from AMD.

I tried the default (WASAPI) setting or the default (DIRECTSOUND) settings to no avail.

I then tried the (DIRECTSOUND) hdmi driver from AMD.

Yayy!!  ( of course the final output is JRiver WDM driver )

I now have my perfect combination..
I realise video is not as good, but I am an audio guy - and that is now GREAT.

Maybe someday I will find a layman's guide to customising theatre view  so that I can make it my way of working, but till then , this is fine.

Sorry if this problem was a bit specific, but if it can help anyone - great.

keith

stewart_pk

Re: Delayed sound using WDM driver - SOLVED!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »

Thanks stuart - et al

Yayy!!  ( of course the final output is JRiver WDM driver )

No worries.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the final output is not the JRiver WDM driver; it's actually JRiver itself.
In your situation Kodi talks to the JRiver WDM driver and then it talks to JRiver for the final output.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Delayed sound using WDM driver [Solved]
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 12:57:07 am »

If you were using WASAPI, you might try unchecking "Exclusive mode".
Pages: [1]   Go Up