INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio pops  (Read 7508 times)

cire60

• Recent member
Audio pops
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:43:32 pm »

Hello,

I have been getting audio pops during playback with my Id 202. It has been getting worst. Sometimes cleared with a reboot and sometime requires several reboots.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Audio pops
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »

Please try updating it from the text menu.

cire60

• Recent member
Audio pops
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 02:22:15 pm »

Hi Jim,

I tried that, it indicated it was updated to the latest but I am still getting the audio pops.

Regards,
Eric

cire60

• Recent member
Audio pops
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 03:45:03 pm »

Hi Jim,

I am no longer able to solve the audio pops by rebooting the ID. It has been unusable for two days.

Help please.

Regards,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
Audio pops
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:16 am »

Some DAC's will pop on beginning playback if the sample rate / bitrate is changed.  You could try forcing everything to the same rate, using MC's DSP Studio / Output settings.  MC also has an option to "Play leading silence..."  The Wiki has a topic on DAC's.

cire60

• Recent member
Audio pops
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:22:29 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information, I will look into it and read the wiki.

It always had some faint pops during the start of playback but this is now happening throughout playback of any material.

I am outputting to a Bricasti M1 via USB

Regards,

Eric

bob

• Administrator
Audio pops
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:37:16 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information, I will look into it and read the wiki.

It always had some faint pops during the start of playback but this is now happening throughout playback of any material.

I am outputting to a Bricasti M1 via USB

Regards,

Eric

Do you recall making any changes, or running the update before you started hearing the pops?
You might try playing with the buffer settings in the ALSA options in MC's audio configuration if the other suggestions from the wiki don't do it.

cire60

• Recent member
Audio pops
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:36:41 pm »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

No I have not made any changes and the pops became progressively worse. I have always had a couple of pops when turning on the ID or at the very beginning of a selection but they gradually started to happen well into a track and became louder as well.

The fact that there were no changes made prior to having this issue is what concerns me.

Regards,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Audio pops
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 01:09:07 am »

What kind of files are you playing?  Ordinary FLAC, for example?

Do you have another device you can try playing to?

cire60

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 05:13:57 am »

Hi Jim and Bob,

I play FLAC, wav....was happening on any format I was playing.

An interesting development....last night I was poking around in the DSP studio, I have the output format unchecked as suggested by Bricasti and wasn't ready to try changing that just yet.

Instead, using my web browser to access the web remote I toggled the output card, the one I use is the iec958:CARD=X20,DEV=0 [ALSA].

This seems to have got it back to normal playout without pops. I am not sure how it got into the state it was in or if it will remain in good working order but I am hopeful.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers,

Eric

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 05:54:24 am »

If it happens again, try powering the DAC off and back on.

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 11:40:33 am »

An interesting development....last night I was poking around in the DSP studio, I have the output format unchecked as suggested by Bricasti and wasn't ready to try changing that just yet.

hmm I wonder why they say  that. I was always told that is the one box you should always tick. Of course you can set Output Encoding to None and all sample rate output to no change.

BTW -- just looked at their website ... I presume that you have downloaded their driver and are using this as you are on a USB connection, right? It says on their web site that it is for Win8 .. did you upgrade to Win10? If so, I'd try another connection, like a SPDIF if you can. You could load wasapi and check to see if it has anything to do with it that way.

cire60

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:02:02 pm »

hmm I wonder why they say  that. I was always told that is the one box you should always tick. Of course you can set Output Encoding to None and all sample rate output to no change.

BTW -- just looked at their website ... I presume that you have downloaded their driver and are using this as you are on a USB connection, right? It says on their web site that it is for Win8 .. did you upgrade to Win10? If so, I'd try another connection, like a SPDIF if you can. You could load wasapi and check to see if it has anything to do with it that way.

The driver is installed on my PC and is used when you are using your PC's USB to drive the M1 directly which I did for a test and had no pops.

No driver needed if using the ID......

(No driver is needed for Macs or Linux but for PC use a driver is necessary and the latest version for Win 8 support can be acquired from our web site and or supplied with the M1.)[/color]

cire60

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:17 pm »

So I continue to have this ticks and pops issue. I read the wiki and tried everything suggested.

Need help here, not happy with this ID!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:36 am »

So I continue to have this ticks and pops issue. I read the wiki and tried everything suggested.

Need help here, not happy with this ID!
Perhaps there is an issue with your DAC and the auto format setting.
Under Options->Audio->Device settings try fixing the output format to one of the choices.
You might want to start at the bottom of the list (S16_LE) and work your way up.
Your DAC will support some and not others. You'll get a playback error on the unsupported formats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up