INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Subscription Recording Rules  (Read 3424 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
New TV Subscription Recording Rules
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:03:06 am »

Is there anything in the Wiki explaining how the "operators" work regarding TV Subscription Recording Rules? I could not find anything.

How does the new "Season" rule work. Say I want to record only seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 of a the TV Series "The Big Bang Theory". What is the correct way to enter this?

I tried using "Season ends with 5" but that didn't appear to work. Then I tried "Season contains 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" (not sure if "," are allowed) but that didn't work either. And - does this all need to be grouped?

Also where are the "tool tips about using AND or OR operation" as mentioned in small text in screen shot below?

Placing the "cursor" on the space next to the "X" only tells me to "Use ')' or ']' to group the rules". It doesn't really explain the difference between the '(' and the '[' or when/why to group. I suspect that no one has had the time to create a Wiki on this feature yet.

So I tried using "ends with 5":

Which then gives me this (note the "Season=5"). Shouldn't this be "<=5"?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: New TV Subscription Recording Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:07:38 am »

The initial release of this new feature only includes string comparisons.  To get Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, you need to create 5 rules OR'ed together: Season is 1, OR Season is 2, OR Season is 3, etc.   Other string type comparisons, such as "contains", "Ends with", may be useful if your Season field is ever filled with non-numerical values.

In the next build integer comparison will be included.  You will be able to set it up like this:  Season is less or equal to 5 AND Season is greater than 0.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:22:59 am »

Thanks. I'm experimenting with it now.
Remind me - which is the AND (the "[]") and which is the OR (the "()")?

Where are the instructions on how to use this for us non-geek people? Is it just in this thread or is there more? http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100753.0

I sort of remember seeing a post explaining somewhat how the grouping works ([]) [()] but now I can't find it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »

Smartlist Editing:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists

() is for OR, [] is for AND.  When no brackets are present, AND is the default.

You use AND when you want to have all rules satisfied simultaneously, i.e. all conditions must be satisfied in order for a program to be selected.  You use OR if you want one of the condition to be satisfied, but not necessarily all of them.

For example,

Season is 1, OR Season is 2, OR Season is 3

A given program can not satisfy all of the three conditions.  So it would not make sense connecting them with AND.  With OR, a program with Season 1 will be picked, so will a program with Season 2, etc.

Season is less or equal to 5 AND Season is greater than 0

This, in MC's expression language is "[Season]=<=5 [Season]=>0", specifies that the two conditions must both be satisfied.  The first one says Season must be less than or equal to 5.  So seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 satisfy it, but not Season 6.  The second condition says Season must be larger than 0.  So Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and above all satisfy it.  But only 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 satisfy both.

[Season]=>0 is needed to filter out all programs that has no Season field (empty field) as empty value is considered 0.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:53 pm »

I haven't played with this yet. I might have a few series that can just use the currently implemented comparison, but I am mostly interested in the integer range functionality. Good to hear that is being worked on.

CountryBumkin, to see the tools tips, which I use as a handy reminder, just hover your mouse to the left of the field name of a rule in the "Edit Rules" dialogue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:23 pm »

I must be in the wrong spot (although I think I tried everywhere). The only tool tip I can find says this: "Use ')' or ']' to group the rules".

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:03 pm »

I must be in the wrong spot (although I think I tried everywhere). The only tool tip I can find says this: "Use ')' or ']' to group the rules".

Point to the left side, where you'd expect the beginning brackets be.  You did the right side, for the ending brackets.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:01:32 pm »

Point to the left side, where you'd expect the beginning brackets be.  You did the right side, for the ending brackets.

Ohh - Duh, my other right. Thanks

Although I think it would be more User friendly to have a link or button you click on (or hoover over) for tool tips rather than an "unmarked" spot on the page.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:08 pm »

Stupid question...is the Season option unreleased?  I have been waiting for that feature in editing recording rules, but I don't see it as an available option...I am on build 37.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »

Stupid question...is the Season option unreleased?  I have been waiting for that feature in editing recording rules, but I don't see it as an available option...I am on build 37.

CountryBumkin jumped the gun  ;D.  It will be out in a few days.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 04:22:13 pm »

yay!
Pages: [1]   Go Up