INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing DSD files  (Read 16854 times)

EAPIII

Playing DSD files
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:31 am »

I do not want JRiver to convert my DSD files to PCM. I just want the software to pass through my downloaded files to my  AURALIC DAC for processing.

I have not had any luck with the internet help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing DSD files
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:41 pm »

The relevant option you are looking for, to enable unmolested DSD passthrough to your DAC is called bitstreaming:

Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > (select DSD )

Brian.

ghostdot

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »

The relevant option you are looking for, to enable unmolested DSD passthrough to your DAC is called bitstreaming:

Brian.

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:44 pm »

Brian.

Hello,

with that, it output 44.1 files in PCM 352, no?

So i in DSP prefs i bitstream in DSD and, i choose output encoding as 2xDSD since my DAC can, and the files goes out as 5.6 mHz, 1 bit, direct connection
and DSD files stay like they were in 1xDSD.
If You Got Ears, You Gotta Listen – Captain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS 14.3 > Audirvana Origin 2.5.x >
Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >
Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

ghostdot

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »

Hello,

So i in DSP prefs i bitstream in DSD and, i choose output encoding as 2xDSD since my DAC can, and the files goes out as 5.6 mHz, 1 bit, direct connection

Hi,

sorry but my last post went wrong... I was saying that even with dsd bitstreaming, I've always a DoP output, as clearly stated by MC21. DAC is a Yamaha Cd-S2100 with steinberg yamaha driver. With Mc21 with Windows I'm able to stream unmolested DSD up to 2x.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »

Setting "bistreaming = DSD" only affects DSD files.  So 44.1k PCM is unaffected.

That's correct.  But it's really not necessary unless your DAC can't accept PCM.  Because it's just converting PCM to 2xDSD.  If you like the results, then I can't argue with you.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:50:07 pm »

I was saying that even with dsd bitstreaming, I've always a DoP output, as clearly stated by MC21. DAC is a Yamaha Cd-S2100 with steinberg yamaha driver. With Mc21 with Windows I'm able to stream unmolested DSD up to 2x.

"unmolested DSD":  DoP does not change the DSD data in any way.  It just re-packs it into a PCM container for transport.  "Native DSD" and DoP deliver the same end result data to the DAC.  They just transport it differently.

The reason the MC for Windows can send DSD "natively" (without DoP) is because it can use an ASIO driver, which is (as far as I know) the only way to send DSD without DoP.  Again, native DSD transport and DSD over DoP deliver the exact bits at the end of the process.  DSD data is NOT changed by DoP transport.

Brian.

ghostdot

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:22 pm »

"unmolested DSD":  DoP does not change the DSD data in any way.  It just re-packs it into a PCM container for transport.  "Native DSD" and DoP deliver the same end result data to the DAC.  They just transport it differently.

The reason the MC for Windows can send DSD "natively" (without DoP) is because it can use an ASIO driver, which is (as far as I know) the only way to send DSD without DoP.  Again, native DSD transport and DSD over DoP deliver the exact bits at the end of the process.  DSD data is NOT changed by DoP transport.

Brian.

Brian,
thank you for your help. I understand DoP and native dsd do deliver the same "package" to my DAC. The problem is that the DAC does not accept 2x DoP, so I'm not able to feed it with DSD 2x and I'm forced to resample 2x material to 176 khz. Is ther a workaround?
What's the purpose of selecting DSD bitstreaming if it is not a real bitstream?

A.

AFAIK there are not suitable ASIO drivers for Mac, right?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »

thank you for your help. I understand DoP and native dsd do deliver the same "package" to my DAC. The problem is that the DAC does not accept 2x DoP, so I'm not able to feed it with DSD 2x and I'm forced to resample 2x material to 176 khz. Is ther a workaround?

I wasn't aware that there were DACs that would accept 1xDSD over DoP, but would not accept 2xDSD over DoP.  That's really weird actually.  Are you sure?

As for 176kHz, is that the highest your DAC will go in PCM?  I ask because 2xDSD should translate to 705.6kHz.

AFAIK there are not suitable ASIO drivers for Mac, right?

I'm not an expert on DSD.  I don't even have a DSD capable DAC.  That said, I think you're right:  I don't think any ASIO drivers for DSD DACs exist for Mac.  If they do, MC can't talk to them (yet).

Brian.

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:57 pm »

That's correct.  But it's really not necessary unless your DAC can't accept PCM.  Because it's just converting PCM to 2xDSD.  If you like the results, then I can't argue with you.

Brian.

Thank you for answer... i tested again when i read the poster comment... If i don't output as DSD or 2xDSD, my DAC doesn't stick with the PCM out 352/384
it jumps, can't lock the settings in the DAC window just like in Audirvana... but Audirvana can't output in DSD so that is why i'm here now  :-)

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:05 pm »

f i don't output as DSD or 2xDSD, my DAC doesn't stick with the PCM out 352/384
it jumps, can't lock the settings in the DAC window just like in Audirvana...

I don't understand what you're trying to do.  Don't you want 44.1k to be sent to your DAC as 44.1k?  Or do you want MC to upsample everything to 352.8k or 384k?  MC can do any of those.  In the Output Format tab in the DSP Studio, MC can be set to individually up sample any frequency that comes in.  Or it can pass them through without resampling.

Brian.

ghostdot

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »

I wasn't aware that there were DACs that would accept 1xDSD over DoP, but would not accept 2xDSD over DoP.  That's really weird actually.  Are you sure?

As for 176kHz, is that the highest your DAC will go in PCM?  I ask because 2xDSD should translate to 705.6kHz.

DAC will go up to 192 kHz in PCM, as per its specs. It's weird but I can not go over 1x DoP DSD... any help appreciated!

EAPIII

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »

i appreciate the help. whether I select bitsteam to DSD or 2xDSd I get no sound. I see that the file is playing but I do not see the equalizer bars at all in the upper left window. Also my dec still says 352..  

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »

yes my goal is to upsampling at max...  if i choose to set up files upsampling individually it does the same DAC jumps "hiccups" at start but manage to settle after 10 secondes, a minute somtimes, so it's not constant... upsampling all to 2xDSD everything plays well no hiccups... i putted hardware and buffer at max... no more problems.  :-)

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 06:23:41 pm »

in JRiver and Audirvana i have no hiccups at 176/192  just when upsampling at 352/384  

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »

DAC will go up to 192 kHz in PCM, as per its specs. It's weird but I can not go over 1x DoP DSD... any help appreciated!

my DAC max at 352/384 PCM... 2xDSD is good, but at 4xDSD, like you i have no sound... but my DAC can't do 256, just 64 and 128...

EAPIII

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 07:16:26 pm »

Brian,
Select DSD under bitstream and get no sound. File looks to be playing buy no bars moving in upper left

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »

I don't have a DSD DAC.  Also, I don't work for JRiver... I'm just trying to help out a little.  :)

The "no bars moving" might be normal now that I think of it.  Any time you bitstream, MC doesn't decode the audio at all.  So it probably isn't decoding it simply to send it to the spectrum analyzer.  I'm just guessing, but it seems like that would be right.

I don't know why you're not getting sound with bitstreaming set to DSD.  Have you quit and restarted MC?  For many audio settings, that is necessary.  Also, check the audio path to see what MC thinks it is doing:  Player > Audio Path

The bottom row of that display should say what format MC is outputting to the DAC.

Maybe someone with more DSD experience can step in here and offer some wisdom I don't have.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

EAPIII

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 08:01:07 pm »

Brian,
Good call. It says it is playing DSD. If I turn up the volume very loud I can barely hear it. What is
Interesting  is my dac is not showing a DSD file  but is showing 176. These are my first DSd sent through my USB port. However, the other downloads sound fine.
Thank you for your help

RunHomeSlow

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 08:50:25 am »

Found that today on Computer Audiophile thread, it might help you  :-)

Auralic Vega DSD256 Firmware Update:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/auralic-vega-dsd256-firmware-update-24817/

Pages: [1]   Go Up