INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Ability to export DLNA views  (Read 1698 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request - Ability to export DLNA views
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:15:13 pm »

(I couldn't find a forum thread for user suggestions to this version... so there:)

One I've always missed is to export the views set up for my DLNA device... which isn't a trifle affair if you have many media files, categories, genres etc., starting from scratch!
And if you, like I have today, ever dis- and re-enable Media Network without using the "existing settings" option, these views are simply erased without warning! I took hours setting them all up again... which I had rather spared on a short weekend!

Shouldn't be hard to add a save button under "DLNA Server > Customize Views"...
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request - Ability to export DLNA views
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »

The Customize Views for DLNA servers dialog is exactly the same as the dialog for Remote views.   This means you can build views there OR you can add views there from your regular library views.  So, all you have to do is build your DNLA views in Standard View, and then add them to your DLNA views.  I would probably make a group in standard view to put all of the DLNA views so they don't clutter up the regular views.

Brian.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:45 pm »

So, all you have to do is build your DNLA views in Standard View, and then add them to your DLNA views.  I would probably make a group in standard view to put all of the DLNA views so they don't clutter up the regular views.

Not a bad idea! Of course I use existing library views as starting points for DLNA setup, however the requirements are quite different... Views for my 'PC zone' are customized for managing the library, while the DLNA ones are for viewing (incl. several customized filters, randomly sorted lists for variety etc.)!

That's why 'a one click solution' would be so convenient!!

(Feel free to move this to a 'feature suggestions' thread, if any exists... ;-)
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:07:18 am »

They are part of a backup, so if you lose them, you could restore from a backup.  MC makes automatic backups.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:59:56 am »

They are part of a backup, so if you lose them, you could restore from a backup.  MC makes automatic backups.

Thank you, it's good to know that server settings are backed up too (I do know the library is, of course ;-)!!

However for my 5+ Terabytes of video material, restoring the entire library would take hours (at full load) to recreate all video thumbnails (which are sadly not backed up, are they?)...

So either way, I firmly stick to my feature request! (only correcting that it needs 2 buttons, not one, to 'Save' and 'Restore' ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up