INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backup restore with settings and without?  (Read 6852 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
backup restore with settings and without?
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:58 am »

Hi everybody

I was wondering if anyone could help me confirm something -- normally I could do this myself, but won't have the time today and need to help my son this evening with his JRiver set up

What I want to do is transfer my views and all custom fields I have created to his machine. I would like my saved "templates" (views) for adding new views, but this would be optional. The actual library data is not important. (but I don't care if it imported I can easily wipe it.)

I have done this plenty of times setting up new machines and I just dump everything in a restore, then set up the playback devices/zones afterwards.

I really, really do NOT want to do this, as I have spent a lot of time setting up zones and his audio config is complicated. So I do not want to overwrite them.

I have this funny feeling that want I want I won't get but I'm trying to determine the least onerous way of going about this. SO

WHat  exactly is included in the restore options "Settings"? (does this include Views/database user fields?) does it include all setting in options or is this just playback settings and local zones?

What is included when only selecting restore library and playlists (does this include custom views and user created fields? Options?)

What happens when you do NOT check any of the 2 options?

PITA order (what I would want to avoid the most  - actual 1 and 2 are tied for what I do not want to do manually)

1) re-config of audio playback options and zones

2) recreating all of my views and creating all my user fields which permit these views to function

3) redoing all the options

I know it is possible to export saved views, copy the directory to my son's machines. However, I would have to create all my user fields, carefully. I would then have to add the views individually. And if that is not a big enough pain in the arse, I would have to recreate these views for JRemote AND theater view.

As I said I could test this myself, but I totally forgot. If I new what restore settings and restore library options did precisely, I could setup a plan.

Just guessing but I think one way to maybe do this is to backup my son's library first.

Then I restore my library to his; select all files and nuke them from the library.

Then I restore ONLY his settings from his backup.

All I would have to do then would be to reconfigure his import settings and run autoimport manually.

However that would imply that only playback/DSP settings is in the restore settings choice, and  the options, fields and views are in the restore Library and Playlists choice.  Probably not the case.

thanks in advance

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: backup restore with settings and without?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:38:32 am »

I'm going to give you the same thing I give so many others.  :-*

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Read. Its right there at the top.

Oh, and this:
What happens when you do NOT check any of the 2 options?

I don't know! Hopefully it gives you an error. But, I've never tried.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:06:44 am »

Oh, and this:

It just doesn't really do anything.

I'll add a warning message box for the next build and it won't continue with nothing checked.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:24 am »

I'm not 100% sure but this is how I see it:

Settings:  This backs up and restores just about everything that you can do from Tools > Options.  There are a few more things that are included as well, but most of it is from here.

Library:  This includes all files, views, and playlists.  I might be forgetting something, but that should be the majority.

So I would do something like:

1.  Back up son's library to a file.
2.  Restore Ariendelle's library with Library ONLY.  Do not check settings.
3.  Check to see that Son's settings are still in place.  Assuming they are:
4.  Remove all "dead" media files from Ariendelle's restored library.
5.  Import files via auto import or manual import.

I would think that would do it.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:20 am »

I'm going to give you the same thing I give so many others.  :-*

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Read. Its right there at the top.

Oh, and this:
oops my bad euh its in the wiki euh ... and look who wrote it euhh  time to dig a hole after all the crap I give out when people don't bother to check the wiki first  :-[

k so looks like there's no need to restore his settings

this is what I'm going for then

1) note all my custom fields (this I think should be part of the library backup and not te settings backup? why is that?? and then create them in my son' s library -- a pain, but doable

2) restore my library without the settings option checked

3)nuke my library (dead links)

4) rerun auto-import using his config

looks the same as what Brian is suggesting, but I still have to manually create the new fields and type in all of the expressions for the calculated fields :( And of course this is going to mess up all of his actual import dates and stats. That's not great, but he's going to have to take it or leave it

makes me think of a feature request or 2 ;)

thanks guys !

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:16:20 am »

1) note all my custom fields (this I think should be part of the library backup and not te settings backup? why is that??

The Wiki is incorrect.  I just tested it.  Custom fields are part of the Library, not part of the settings.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:20:35 am »

The Wiki is incorrect.  I just tested it.  Custom fields are part of the Library, not part of the settings.

Brian.
ah cool thanks!! Makes sense too.

or NOT Glynor's going to have to correct the wiki page, now :D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:03 am »

I was coming back here to say that this part of it I was unsure about and needed to test it. I added that line in the wiki intending to test it to verify "later" and never came back to it. They're stored in the registry, and not the Library, but so are Theater Views and other stuff that is "library side" so it was basically a guess.

Custom Fields are "somewhere in between" but I guess they fall on the Library side and not the Settings side. That actually makes the most sense.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:37 am »

Since Brian tested it for me though, now I can just fix it. Yes! Laziness FTW yet again!

Arindelle

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 10:28:53 am »

I was coming back here to say that this part of it I was unsure about and needed to test it. I added that line in the wiki intending to test it to verify "later" and never came back to it. They're stored in the registry, and not the Library, but so are Theater Views and other stuff that is "library side" so it was basically a guess.

Custom Fields are "somewhere in between" but I guess they fall on the Library side and not the Settings side. That actually makes the most sense.
hey wait a sec ... you don't mean I have to set up theater and remote views manually for my kid do you? In ther registry aieee why put it there ??!!

Brian can't test this probably he's on  MAC -- no Theater View

OK no time no time to test, hope it works

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:54 am »

You're right, I can't test Theater View because I don't have it.  But Remote views restore correctly with Library only.  They do not appear to be part of settings.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 12:19:23 pm »

Yes. Theater View and Media Network views are configured in Options, and stored in the registry, but are contained in the Library part of the backup.  For sure.

It wasn't always that way, but Matt changed it eons ago.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 02:35:40 pm »

By the way, I did fix the Wiki page.

Arindelle

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 06:03:53 am »

thanks, guys worked out ok, but my son is not a happy camper that I blew out his import dates ... has to be a better way to avoid that one
By the way, I did fix the Wiki page.
;D yep I saw that ... see my reply

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:40 am »

thanks, guys worked out ok, but my son is not a happy camper that I blew out his import dates ... has to be a better way to avoid that one

I'm assuming you still have a backup of his original library with original import dates?  If so, I think you can reload his library, and then export all files as MPL.  Then take that MPL file to the new library and import it.  I think you'll need to clear all media from the new library first, leaving the views intact.  Then import the MPL from the old library and it should have the original import dates.

You'd need to test this; I'm not 100% sure.

Brian.

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:38 am »

I'm assuming you still have a backup of his original library with original import dates?  If so, I think you can reload his library, and then export all files as MPL.  Then take that MPL file to the new library and import it.  I think you'll need to clear all media from the new library first, leaving the views intact.  Then import the MPL from the old library and it should have the original import dates.
Brian.
I guess I could try that ... didn't think of it, could be a good plan.  I used to have a custom field,  that wrote to the file the dates, but somewhere , not sure what version something got screwy ... its no longer just  a date; seems its a date AND time of import .... grrr wtf ... that must be some couch potato thing for people recording TV and who can't be bothered to run import manually?  How long ago did that change?? never noticed it   :(

another thing that is bothersome, now he has my access key in his registry, Matt told me how to remove that once from the registry, but frankly I forgot.   Anybody know how to remove that? So he gets his key back? Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up