INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Key Code Problems with JRiver in Debian Linux  (Read 12028 times)

Mojo.Audio

Key Code Problems with JRiver in Debian Linux
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »

We're very pleased with the performance of JRiver Media Center in Debian Linux on the media servers we manufacture. We have been having a few issues. First of all, we can't get the latest MC21 version of JRiver for Linux to work at all in Debian. The previous MC20 version seems to work flawlessly. A few features, such as the CD ripper don't work, but playback on audio and video work perfectly.

Our real problem is MC remembering the key code. We've found that after so many reboots and/or so many weeks MC forgets its key code and requires that it is reentered. Once this occurs, from then on, every time the server is rebooted, MC will forget its key code and request that it be reentered once more.

A few months ago we had the same problem and the tech from JRiver gave us the name of a file that holds the key code. When we opened that file it was full of all sorts of "retries" and error messages - far more than the one time key code entry it was supposed to have. The solution was simple: delete that file and MC would regenerate it the next time it reboots.

But that was only a temporary solution...

After so many reboots and so many weeks the identical problem occurs. The "band-aid" solution is to delete that file again, reenter the key code, and all is OK until the counter/calendar hits that place and the problem resumes.

Since we assumed this issue was originally caused by something being done wrong on the initial install, I foolishly didn't save that key code file name.

Please let me know the name of that key code file so that we can at least use the "band-aid" solution while JRiver is working on a more permanent solution to this issue.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Key Code Problems with JRiver in Debian Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:41:27 pm »

The settings are stored in the users home directory:

".jriver/Media Center 21/Settings"
The file that contains the license is "Machine Settings.ini"

If you delete that you should be able to re-license. There should not be multiple licenses in there, I'm not seeing how that's happening. What build are you using? Also what version of Debian and which architecture?

I cleared the restores on the license I think you are using.

Mojo.Audio

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:20 am »

We used Debian "Jessie" stock...no changes...downloaded from the Debian site.

MC20 was downloaded from the Debian version on the JRiver website.

It's all that simple.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:48 am »

MC20?

MC21 is made for Debian, as was MC20.

Mojo.Audio

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:26:50 am »

Yes, we read on the JRiver site that MC20 was engineered for Debian.

Last year we tested MC20 successfully with various Debian-based distros, such as Ubuntu, but we settled on the most basic version of Debian.

Both Debian "Weezy" and "Jessie" seemed to work fine with MC20.

The same installs of the same distros of Debian with MC21 wouldn't accept our key codes. 

Since we purchased those key codes nearly the same week MC21 was released we assumed it was a bug that would soon be corrected.

We're about to test the latest versions of both Debian and MC21 with those same key codes.

I'll let you know how it goes. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:43 am »

I sent you an e-mail to your forum account address.

MC20 won't work with an MC21 license and vice versa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up