INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Client question  (Read 3178 times)

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver Client question
« on: January 27, 2016, 01:44:26 pm »

A couple months back I upgraded my HTPC from 19 to 21. As things were, my HTPC was standalone used primarily to play music. I found JRiver's TV functionality to be greatly improved in version 21 and began recording OTA movies way past my bedtime.

One day, I wanted to play a movie in another room on our big TV. Rather then copying the movie, as I had done in the past, I installed JRiver on an old netbook with a atom processor. I fired up the library manger, unlike in the past, I paid attention and selected the library on the main htpc in the other room. Low and behold everything works flawlessly. Best of all, any tag maintenance done on the HTPC is automatically reflected on the netbook. Good Job guys!

I have a couple questions about my setup:
1) Is there any trans-coding going on between my two systems; is dlna involved in anyway? I am particularly worried about my flac (redbook) music files NOT being trans-coded.
2) Since the netbook is so underpowered, can I expect a cheap of cheap NUC to deliver the same performance? Specifically, Dell sells a NUC size box with win10 installed for under $200. I'm thinking it would make a great JRiver client.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/pd.aspx

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: JRiver Client question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:40:23 pm »

Greetings,

To the best of my knowledge, no transcoding is involved between two MC21 systems, one being the client and the other the server.  At least, if both MC21 are set up to support the same codecs/bitrates/bitdepths.

I have had excellent experience with JRiver HTPCs based on first gen i3 NUCs, connected to a JRiver server.  Others seem to have been happy with Celeron based NUCs.  No Red October HQ though (video processing, you would need a powerful GPU).

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:20 am »

My experience with cheap mini-pc client did not go well. The specs may look good on paper but the jmark was horrible:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101763.0
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »

tzr916 mentioned in another thread:
CPU: Z8300 1.4GHz Quad Core...

And I thought that Cherry Trail CPU would be much better than Bay Trail, and make perfect cheap HTPCs.
I guess NUC-like i3 and Celerons are still the minimum then.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:41 pm »

My current netbook client scored a 523 jmark score. My JRiver server scored 2400 jmark. For giggles I  watched one TV channel on the server and another TV channel on the client simultaneously. Both live and streamed fine, server 32" lcd 720p, netbook to 10" screen not sure resolution.

I doubt streaming would hold up very long. I have found Time-Shift works wonders for watching live and recording another channel on the server PC. Note both PC's have ssd C drives, helps a lot!

Note: I am not much of a video guy other then watching recorded TV. Our smart TV's handle netflix and a bluray player handles the rest. We are simple (music) people. Accept our (video) kids...

That said, I'm going to up my game from a dual-core celeron to a 4-core pentium and order a Dell, Windows 10 included. Its not geeky, but sounds easy for $230~

Then again, there's the JRiver ID... Hum, over analysing, again.  Back to the music.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop/pd

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »

Welcome aboard.

With regards to transcribe between server / client, you can determine this in Tools > Options > Network.

Regarding a client machine, you may also want to check out the new Intel Micro PC thing reviewed in the PC section. Sounds like it does the client job pretty well.

astropuppy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »

You mean the Intel Stick?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:21 pm »

Yep, that's the one :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up