INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist or View - Help needed  (Read 1803 times)

Toucan

• Recent member
Smartlist or View - Help needed
« on: January 29, 2016, 03:40:42 pm »

Hello All

I'd like to have a view of my movies where details are displayed for Directors, but I'd like it sorted by the frequency of movie per director. The result would show me the 'popularity' of each director in my collection and list all the movies they'd made.

That make sense? Either a view or a smartlist will do, or both if possible.

It's easy to to get a view or smartlist of directors, but it's the sorting by director frequency which has me totally stumped.

All help greatly appreciated.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smartlist or View - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 09:27:36 am »

I've been thinking about this. I don't think there is a (reasonably implemented) way to do what you want. You can do a few things, but sorting by the count of items in a category is tough.

If you want to have a [Director] category that displays the count of each item (in the Panes or category caption) then you can do this by using an Expression Category and then adding GroupCount() in the Expression to Display setting. Like this, but with Directors:

Or, if you want a "Favorite Directors" Media View that only displays files by Directors which have more than X number of items, then you can do that instead. That's a little more complex, but with a Smartlist and the ~expand search modifier, it is possible. I have similar Views that show my "favorite artists" for music (those with at least 3 tracks rated >= 3 stars), and could explain how to do that.

But I don't think you can sort based on a GroupCount() because the grouping doesn't happen until after the sorting "pass" of the View filtering already occurred.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:02:26 am »

Well, actually... I'm wrong.

You can add a [Director] Category, and then select Sorting > Number of Files, and it seems to do it for me. I don't see a way to do it ascending instead, though I doubt that's what you want here anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Toucan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:36 am »

Thanks, Glynor

Your second suggestion is exactly what I wanted. I can now see which directors have the most films in my collection, sorted by those with the most at the top of the list. I've done the same with actors to see who appears most in my collection and I can envisage many more categories to which this technique can be usefully applied.

Just brilliant. I hope you didn't have to spend too much time thinking about this.

Anyway, thanks again. I love this software,
Pages: [1]   Go Up