INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Checking Backups  (Read 3122 times)

PAR57

• Recent member
Checking Backups
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:12:28 am »

I have my library stored on HDDs. One connected is directly to my PC server plus 2 backups.

Is there an easy way of checking the integrity of the backups i.e. that they contain the correct folders/files and that they interface correctly with JR MC21?

The point is that if I simply remove the usual drive (say, drive D)and replace it with a backup then Windows will allocate a new drive letter to the backup (say, drive E). Therefore I will need to add this drive to those watched by JR MC. If I do this then all tracks will be duplicated (from drives D + E)in the JR library view . I would therefore need to remove the  D drive from the watched list,  clear the library view then add the E drive to the watched list and repopulate the library view. This would be OK if I were  replacing the drive but I am only checking both backup drives to ensure that that they are not corrupt.

Is there an easier way of carrying out the check which will not involve the need to clear and repopulate the library view?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Checking Backups
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:24:02 am »

your over thinking it....if its backups you want

http://www.freefilesync.org/
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:39:59 am »

I can think of at least 2 things:

1. If you remove the one drive so it's drive letter is free, you can then assign that letter to the "new" drive.

2. You can use the Library tool "Rename, Move and Copy Files". You should use the setting "Update database to point to the new location". You can temporarily "point to the new drive". And then move it back.

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:06:23 pm »

TAO 1857 - Thanks but I already have backups. I just want to check them for integrity and compatability without too much rigmarole caused by the need to clear library view and repopulate it. However I may give the suggested application a go for future backups. I currently use a simple copy and paste method which is actually reliable and doesn't leave me with my files either encrypted and unreadable by other software (hello WD backup) or otherwise entangled with a backup program "wrapper"where the original backup software is lost due to a crash and where the replacement  is not compatible, thus preventing file restoration ( hello Microsoft Easy Transfer and OS later than Win 7).

gvanbrunt - That idea of substituting the newly created drive letter with the one used for the replaced drive seems rather clever. I will try this.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:31:24 pm »

Certainly no need IMO to do your workflow in JRiver which seems complicated un less I'm totally missing something, both drives are connected during a backup right??

another popular and free program I use all the time ... combined with assigning the drive letters as gvanbrunt described if you have external drives dockin .. you can set up profiles so once configured you just run a profile or multiple grouped profiles

Syncback => http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html -- plenty of options for verification, error reporting etc. there are plenty backup solutions available that would suit the bill too.

Remember to archive your JRiver Library file(s) too, not just the media files.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:53:16 pm »

It sounds like you have copies of your media drive, which you are using as your backups. That is fine, particularly with the re-assignment of drive letters described above.

But nothing is better than a real backup solution that supports incremental and differential as well as full backups, and can restore to a new hard drive as if it was the original drive, whether it was a System (boot) or data drive, and just works.

I could add Acronis True Image and Norton 360 backup to your list of failed backups solutions, that can't be relied upon when you really need them; when you have to recover from a disaster. After Norton failed me, and Norton support couldn't help me, I searched for a good backup solution, tested a bunch, and found only one that appears to be a good backup solution that does the job properly, like traditional backups solutions.

That is EaseUS Todo Backup, Workstation version. See http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/personal.html

I haven't had to do a recovery "in anger" after a drive failed with it yet, but I did do real world system and data drive restores, on live hardware not a test system, and they worked well. EaseUS has been very reliable, and the company is fairly responsive with support requests. Certainly they have shown an interest and fixed stuff when I have had minor niggles with the software.

Anyway, I have no association with EaseUS except as a customer, but I can highly recommend their Todo Backup software. Not perfect, but good, and reliable. For my workstation PC, that is what I prefer to use. My media collection is way to big to backup at the moment, so I just monitor the drives with HD Sentinel, but when I get around to having a NAS or enough space, I would use EaseUS for media backup as well, since the Incremental backups make recovery of files at a point in time easy.

If you ever consider getting a real backup solution, instead of just copies of the hard disk, have a look at it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:07:33 am »

I concur with Arindelle, FWIW. Including the SyncBack recommendation. If you pay their modest price for the SE or Pro edition, it can do even fancier stuff, if you need them.

I, personally, switched away from using SyncBack a while back for GoodSync. I actually like SyncBack better, but GoodSync is cross-platform and lets you even sync across the WAN, which is pretty good. The UI isn't anywhere near as nice as SyncBack, but I need those features. It looks like SyncBack has even gotten a bit better in this regard in v7, but I haven't checked it out thoroughly since v6.

For image-based backups (similar to Acronis and Norton Ghost, both of which I've also had issues with), I really, really, really like Macrium Reflect. But, for your purposes, I'd probably go with a file-based solution and not an image based one.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

PAR57

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:04 am »

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Very helpful and you have given me a lot to think about.

drc

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 07:14:00 am »

I may be over simplifiying the issue, but I often check the integrity of my backup.

The first is through program as suggested by everyone.  i use Sync backup pro works great for almost any item with the except of programs (OS).  Used it for years especially for audio files that constantly or being modified.  It shows what has changed adding cover art, tags anything that has changed since it was created.  I do this twice daily - hey, it's a computer it has nothing else to do doing the day...

secondly, just test the back through sampling.  I store my files on a NAS.  So i have two libraries the primary and the backup actually three... Sometimes I simply switch over to the back to use as the primary - and may sure the files play... The Database size should be the same.  The best thing is to check the backup before you need it.

Maybe over simplifying the issue but you simply want to know if the backup works and is complete.

Just a thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up