INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BD / make mkv query  (Read 5141 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
BD / make mkv query
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »

I haven't ripped too many BD discs, just usually play thru the Xbox.  The kids want them on MC now, so I've been going thru (I don't have a ton but enough)

Noticed that make mkv lists 2 titles for the whole movie (actually a lot, but 2 English titles).  One title has X chapters and usually says "angle 1" while the other has no titles or subscript.  They are usually roughly the same size

Can anyone elighten me as to what that means and which one I should use?  I've been ripping the first one "angle 1" with all the chapters and it works great in MC on testing....I've ripped 1000 ish DVDs and don't remember seeing this

Thanks!

CountryBumkin

Re: BD / make mkv query
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:23 am »

It all depends on the BD. Usually the largest file size is the main title. Some disks have the movie with multiple camera angles so you pick the one you want, some disks have just one title, and some will have hundreds of titles (with only one being the correct playlist/title) called "playlist obfuscation". Then you may have to deal with Cinavia on some disks (which can be an issue if you try to play the rip on a licensed player. Ripping BDs is not that easy.

If your asking about which software ripping products, there are three "big ones".

MakeMKV is currently free and removes the copy protection, but your on your own figuring out what title to rip. The makeMKV forum will often have a post when a new BD comes out identifying the correct title (playlist) to rip. I don't think makeMKV can remove Cinavia from the rip. http://www.makemkv.com/

There is also DVDFab which also removes copy protection and Cinavia. (I don't use this software so I can't comment how well it works). http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-ripper.htm

Then there is the AnyDVD HD + CloneBD solution. As you probably know AnyDVD HD removes the copy protection from BDs and it has Cinavia detection. If you use CloneBD (from Slysoft) it will rip a BD to mkv or mp4, can shrink the movie if desired (say to copy to BD25 disk), remove the extras, will identify the main movie, and has a little "preview" screen where you watch the various titles on a disk to see what they are. But even then, sometimes when a new BD disk comes out with multiple titles, you still need to go the CloneBD (or AnyDVD) forum to see what is the correct title.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonebd.html

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:37 am »

Thanks CB! 

I'm a make mkv guy all the way.  Ripped a bunch yesterday using the "angle" titles, I think I'll re-rip with the "main" one since I want the "theatre" release and not a weird angle ha ha

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:33:39 am »

You generally always want the one with the chapters and angle, not the other alternative.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:04 am »

ok...not to seem dense here (i've ripped so many DVD's)

the first one ("angle 1") has all the chapters and audio choices, so that's the correct one?  that's the one i used, since the last one (without any "angle" subtitle) had no chapters and i thought that was weird

thanks guys, i'm learning here!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:05:42 am »

If it has only one angle there is nothing to worry about in any case. Coming to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a disc in hand which had multiple angles.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:16:29 pm »

I don't think I've come across any BD's with multiple angles. However recently I have had a few discs that had 2 big files where either could be the main movie.

One had two titles of about 30gb but only one title showed multiple chapters, the other title had only one chapter. So this was easy, just rip the title that showed multiple chapters.

The other disc I had recently was Die Hard 4. This disc had the original theatrical release and also an extended release. So this again had two titles of roughly the same size. Identifying which title is which can be challenging but the answer is to just tick both titles in MakeMkv and you will end up with two .mkv files. Then you can play each one back and delete the one you don't want.

With respect to the different software available to rip bluray discs, I am a registered DVDFab user but I still use and prefer MakeMkv for one reason because it is much faster that DVDFab. I haven't yet come across anything MakeMkv could not rip but if I do find one then I have DVDFab as a backup.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 03:19:19 pm »

It was from the Star Wars BD box set that these angles came from

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »

With DVDs, the way I figure this out is simple:  I use VLC to play the DVD, go through the menus, and select to play the movie.  Again, I use the DVD menus to select the version of the movie I want (if there is more than one in the menus).  Then, once it's playing, I look at the Playback menu and note which Title number is shown.  That's the title I want to rip.

I'm assuming other BD players can show the title number of the title they are playing and you could use this technique the same way.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up